Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Options for driving car cross-country without plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options for driving car cross-country without plates?

So I am buying a car in NY this weekend. The seller keeps the license plates in NY. The legal thing to is go to a NY DMV office, get a temporary tag, and go about my business. I can't do this for 2 reasons. First, he stores the car in NJ, and I will never be back in NY after picking it up. Second, I need this all to happen on a Saturday, and I can't find a DMV with hours after 1 PM.

So here are the options as I see them.

1) Drive without plates, don't speed, plan to get pulled over several times but hope for warnings.

2) Take the plates from my old black 1991 325i coupe and put them on my new black 1988 M3 coupe. Drive slow so as not to get pulled over, and hope the police aren't car buffs if we do get pulled over for some freak reason (no tint on car, no illegal mods as far as I know).

Does anyone have any other bright ideas? Is there a MN-legal option? I can't get temp plates here before I go because I won't have a signed title.
    sigpic
    1988 M3 - Summer Toy
    1991 325i - Soon to be sold...
    2001 Audi B5 S4 Avant - Daily Driver

good luck.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

i've done worse, but probably wouldn't advise it.
      1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
      1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
      1974 2002tii / stock
      2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Here in FL I know that if you get pulled over on a weekend (DMV offices are closed) and you have a fresh title and you are "diving it home" they will not fine you. I can't say if all the states will be the same.

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

1990 325is "the rat"/ E30 Warsteiner tribute racecar/1985 325e "faded Glory"/ 1968 Chevy II Nova "the baby"/ 2001 525i 5spd purchased May 2013 with 16k miles. Plus other junk that annoys the neighbors.

Comment

Va will actually sell you ($5 or $10, can't remember) a temporary tag to get it home if you are a resident. Only good for like a week or something. I've used it twice now. Maybe your state has something similar?

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBrain
              .. my new black 1988 M3 coupe..
              lucky fucker !!

Option 3 - drive so fast that the cops can't catch you.

(but honestly, i'd go with #2 and behave. Should be fine)
              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Write some random numbers and letters on a piece of paper and tape up in the rear window?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

#2 is the least bad option. Or just ship it.
                  2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                  2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                  Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Can you not ask the seller to 'borrow' the plates for the drive home and ship them back to him? Even overnighting them would only be like $40 which is significantly less than a potential ticket.

Mind you the PO might be a bit sketched out given toll fines and potential tickets

Comment

The ticket for using the tags from another vehicle will be worse than driving with no tags. At least this is what I have been told. I drove two e30s from the Outer Banks to Raleigh NC (about 5 hours) with no tags and had no trouble.

I have also borrowed a dealer tag from a family friend before. He said it was legal under the pretense that he was considering buying the vehicle...so its probably not totally legal but should attract less attention than no tags.
                      sigpic

Comment

Swapping the plates off another car is a felony, so probably don't want to do that. Most states give at least 24 hours to transport the car using just the signed title, but you should check the laws in the states you'll be going through.

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
                        HSAX Instructor

Comment

bill of sale and a title. Insure it, and go. You coulf do a piece of cardboard saying tag applied for as well. doubtful a cop will write you with proof of insurance and a bill of sale,
                          Yours truly,
                          Rich
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Rigmaster
                          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Have you confirmed this with your local dmv/dps/tax office?

Usually all you need to obtain temporary plates is proof of valid insurance on the car. After all, if you had the title in hand you would just be registering the car and getting metal plates.

You are risking a lot of headaches with either of the two options listed above.
                            ---1991 M50 Powered More Door
                            ---1990 Slow Calypso Cabrio
                            ---2002 9k Rev Honda

Comment

I would do number 1. #2 is much less likely to get you in trouble, but you'll be in deep shit if you get caught.
                              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X