Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at an E30 with bucket loads of rust, worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at an E30 with bucket loads of rust, worth it?

The guy is asking $2200.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AAJtdOXmGjreNq

Into it for the manual SR20DET (turbocharged). M20s never made it here officially.

iCloud kinda made usernames pointless by giving it away.

Think it's a good one or should I wait it out? Been waiting for a while, normally I spot some automatic SR20DE (normally aspirated).
    Last edited by wholethingoff; 10-17-2012, 02:59 AM.

I would pass on it. Even if you planned to swap the engine to another chassis, the swap looks kinda rough.

Comment

How many e30s are in Thailand?

Kinda like the Aussie market, it may be worth it to repair it if the cars are expensive. In the States I'd pass....but if I was somewhere where the market isn't as lush with clean cars.....
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
        I would pass on it. Even if you planned to swap the engine to another chassis, the swap looks kinda rough.
        The swap seemed fine to me when I sat in it. I was a bit scared to drive it though given that I only have driven an M40 E30 for a couple of days.

But from the sound of the engine it seemed alright. Just a little slip in the clutch.

I just need to know if it's seriously rotten to hell or I could save it or something. Especially the chassis, can't care about body panels yet.
        Just looking at it mostly because it's really how I'd like mine to look aside from a poor paint job.

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
        How many e30s are in Thailand?

Kinda like the Aussie market, it may be worth it to repair it if the cars are expensive. In the States I'd pass....but if I was somewhere where the market isn't as lush with clean cars.....
        For the price I am going to pitch at yes! Other SR powered cars are 3 times the price and often have poor styling taste.

Decent examples go for as high as $8k and E36s are over $10k.

My parent's car is a base Camry and it came at $44k.

Frankly, I get mocked for even touching anything older than 10 years.

Comment

P.S

Often my shoe gets stuck while shifting is there a quick remedy aside from driving barefoot?

Comment

YES! That thing is awesome! It all depends on you though, how much of a project can you take?

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by wholethingoff View Post
              P.S

Often my shoe gets stuck while shifting is there a quick remedy aside from driving barefoot?
              I am 6'6'' with a size 14 shoe, I wear racing shoes that are a slim sleek fit to allow ease of changing through the pedals.

If you can handle body work that does look to be saved. And the price of e30s over there makes me believe this is a great price for you. Here in the states 2,200 is a nice e30 with little to no rust. Just the market, supply and demand.
              ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
              ~ '87 535
              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

If this guy built that car you should run from it.

Comment

Rust is lighter then metal.
                  sigpic

Comment

IT Looks all like surface rust, no huge rot. But it looks like it needs ALOT of Body work.
                    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                      I am 6'6'' with a size 14 shoe, I wear racing shoes that are a slim sleek fit to allow ease of changing through the pedals.

If you can handle body work that does look to be saved. And the price of e30s over there makes me believe this is a great price for you. Here in the states 2,200 is a nice e30 with little to no rust. Just the market, supply and demand.
                      Damn. Racing shoes for an E30.

Now I need to get rid of my Vans? But nice advice I am going to find something a little sleeker. I am 6'1 size 12 shoes good to know someone with size 14 can sort this out!

It's actually just the general car market. Even a crappy local car fetches good money. New BMWs are in massive demand though. BMW dealers sells the 5 series for $100k+. Don't even try imagining the Ferraris. Labor is cheap here though.

That being said the E30 is the cheapest quality RWD I can find, 200sxs are $20k. I am going to low ball this one and try out the best bargain.

Probably settling for this one, been looking for one like for too damn long, can't let it go over rusty rocker panels if it's cheap enough.

Comment

hold on, just bought 10 e36's for under 10k, shipping to thailand to sell,
                        gonna be rich.

lol jk.

i say go for it, if its significantly cheaper than the regular market e30 it might be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
                          hold on, just bought 10 e36's for under 10k, shipping to thailand to sell,
                          gonna be rich.

lol jk.

i say go for it, if its significantly cheaper than the regular market e30 it might be worth it.
                          Meh, couldn't talk the guy down.

He was completely amused at the $1,400 proposal and I found a considerable hole in the driver side foot well.

Going to let this pass unless he rings up with an agreeable price.

Kinda unfortunate.

I'll probably be able to find a decently maintained sr powered one for $3k or something.

Are koni shocks and 4 pot brakes worth it? Noticed them today.

Import customs might not let it be profitable, lol, 300% duty.

Comment

lolno

Unless an SR20 goes for that much over there, you're buying a basically worthless car.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 10Toes View Post
                              If this guy built that car you should run from it.
                              Everything he did was a ferrari copycat. one of the episodes used euro smiley's though

Comment

Working...
                              X