Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust

Is there much of a problem with snow, ice and consequently rust in Kentucky? I am looking at possibly buying a car out there.

Thanks!!

do they salt the roads there? salt is the real killer.

Comment

They do.

Comment

gotta be real careful about rust.

i would demand pics of the complete undercarriage, bare trunk floor, and detailed body/engine bay pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
          gotta be real careful about rust.

i would demand pics of the complete undercarriage, bare trunk floor, and detailed body/engine bay pics.
          Kentucky?

Rust?

I'd be more worried about hearing the banjos when I go to look at the car....
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

if it was oil sprayed regularly then it may have survived. They salt the roads in onatrio too, but there is the odd winter driven car that is still mostly rust free.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
              Kentucky?

Rust?

Bought a car in Kentucky from a blind Amish man in Bowling Green.
              After I got the car on the trailer. I proceeded to plow his hot daughter in the hayloft.

That was a GLORIOUS trip for a car.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                Kentucky?

Rust?

iduno shizzle about Kentucky lolz, but if they salt the roads and there is snow then rust could be a major issue.

Comment

I think I drove through Kentucky once, maybe it was Tennessee. The trip was very uneventful and I ended up somewhere in Alabama to pick up a very expensive dog.

The whole of the scenery was dreadful. Trees and trucks. Sometimes a tractor parked in a Subway lot.

I'd look elsewhere, OP, especially if you really are in LA. You West Coast guys are swimming in rust free cars. Cars where you don't even have to look, you just know there is no rust. Not all of us have this privilege, or even opportunity. Run with it.
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I lived just across the river in Indiana from Kentucky. I frequented there quite a bit. It's a beautiful to live but a nightmare for classic car enthus. They salt and sand the shit out of their roads. Even if it looks like there's hardly any rust, multiply what you see by 4 just to be safe.
                    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                    This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

Is there much of a problem with snow, ice and consequently rust in Kentucky?

yes, yes and yes.

It's not near as bad as say Wisconsin, Illinios, etc., but the salt is definitely applied liberally.

The E30 collection:
                      1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
                      1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
                      1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
                      1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
                      1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
                      1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
                      1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
                      2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
                      2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

I'm from the midwest (illinois) and i mean, yeah it snows and yeah they salt the fuck out of the roads, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the car is going to be bad. If the car is reasonably well taken care of (washed/cleaned regularly, etc.) then it could be as good as any other. The chance that it is a piece of shit is definitely higher, don't get me wrong, i'm just saying not to completely count it out.

Comment

I have been living in the Midwest most of my life. I painted under the car (all exposed metal parts) with black BBQ high temp paint...worked well so far.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I am having a shop out there taking a look at the car for me. I was told that there is no rust on it.
                            Thanks again!

Comment

Being from Michigan and inside the "rust belt", I see Kentucky as a basically rust free state. You should see some of the cars around here. For instance my friends jeep you can reach through the side of door to open it. Even Ohio, one state down, has cleaner cars then us.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X