School Me on E46
Collapse
X
-
-
Crash course:
-Suspension is very similar to E36 so they have the same bushings that go out frequently (CABs, RTABs, RSMs)
-Cooling system is also near identical to E36 with slightly better control. Recommended you just replace the whole thing every 60k. Rads will leak, expansion tanks will leak, even bleed screws will leak (through the middle, don't ask me why). I have an extra bleed screw and expansion tank lying around just in case, even though mine are pretty new. M54 is aluminum, so don't fuck around maintaining the cooling system unless you like warped heads.
-Subframe carrier is an issue. Expect to have to have this welded up at some point and CHECK for cracks or fissures before you buy the car. I have a very small crack that I didn't find while I was looking before I bought mine. Not a huge deal; I love the car, but it was disappointing. Reinforcement kits are $150, there are shops that will do it for $900-1200 or you can drop the subframe, drop the tank and DIY if you can weld.
-A lot of the bixenon cars came with ZKW projectors. These projectors have reflector bowls made of plastic and the reflective coating actually burns causing extremely poor light output. Solution is to either replace the entire assembly with Bosch/AL units which are great lights ($700ish per side) or retrofit the ZKW assemblies with the Bosch/AL projectors which requires some dremeling and minimal wiring. You can also retrofit the ZKW projector lenses onto the AL projetors for a much sharper cutoff.
-If they haven't been done, do Vanos seals/rattle kit from Beisan Systems and replace CCV (crankcase ventilator/oil separator) and all associated hoses. Doing Vanos seals typically gives you a small bump in economy and a noticeable increase in low-end. CCV symptoms are oil consumption, vacuum leaks and a weird wookie noise. It is somewhat normal for the 3.0s to consume oil.
-Fuel pumps also go out. Sometimes they "soft" fail giving an indicator of an impending failure. New pump is $130 shipped from BMA and takes 10 minutes to swap out.
-Window regs go out. Don't slam the doors, especially when the windows are down.
-Tail light grounds are usually easy to fix--symptoms are dim lights and/or temporarily fast turn signals--easy to check. Trunk wiring fatigues (much like in E39 and E36) and will break causing some weird stuff to happen. Either splice in new wiring or replace the harness.
-Stereo is not bad but not great. Even the premium HK system sounds veiled and has a few big holes in the frequency response, but at least bass extension is decent for a stock system.
Also, the '04-06 330s got the ZHP 6 speed transmission and the ZHP 650/651 steering rack. I picked up an '04 330i 6 speed and love it to death. Perfect DD as long as you can deal with all of the above. If you cannot do preventative maintenance, do not buy this car.Last edited by Wh33lhop; 10-29-2012, 03:46 PM.Leave a comment:
-
School Me on E46
First off I searched (poorly) for a thread like this so if this is repost I apologize, and a mod can delete this thread and ill get the hint.
BUT if not I am interested in the E46... I dont know much to anything about them besides basic stuff like engine size etc. What I am MORE interested in is what breaks on them, (stuff like E36 rep. with shotty interiors) are they overly computerized or are they still okay for someone to do a decent bit of backyard mechanic work. What are they notorious for? Overheating? etc. Thanks in advance, I have always wanted one, but the idea of the more electric goodies scares me.Tags: None

Leave a comment: