E30 curbside classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 curbside classic

It’s September 1984, and you just made partner at Smith, Johanson and Olafson, C.P.A. in Minnetonka, Minnesota. You’ve been driving your tried and true 1972 318-and-TorqueFlite equipped Plymouth Valiant sedan […]

maybe a repost, but I havent seen it here before.

funny reading the comments of the ignorant, claiming E30 designers "cheaped out" by putting plugs on the window crank holes and window switches in the center console.

Haha window switches are still in the center console so you can rest your arm on the door handle without pressing buttons.
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

I always liked the idea of switches in the center console. people who get in my car are confused sometimes... but its a better idea i think

Comment

What 16yo wrote that? Comparing a base compact car (318i) to a Chrysler Fifth Avenue... Two different cars of the times. IMHO, the 5th Ave would make a great durby car, and the 4 door 318i would make a great parts car.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
          What 16yo wrote that? Comparing a base compact car (318i) to a Chrysler Fifth Avenue... Two different cars of the times. IMHO, the 5th Ave would make a great durby car, and the 4 door 318i would make a great parts car.

I think his use of the Chrysler was just showing how lame the offerings from the US carmakers were compared to the European cars

Comment

i love all the BMW hate on there , seriously the plugs in the door cards and window switches on the console is what these people bitch about , i had to post a few rebuttals as a mater of principle
            88 325is Five Speed
            Lachssilber

Comment

I prefer the switch in the console because I don't have to take my left hand off the wheel. Just use my right hand, and it's right next to the shifter. Makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by AntiScope View Post
                I prefer the switch in the console because I don't have to take my left hand off the wheel. Just use my right hand, and it's right next to the shifter. Makes sense to me.
                Agreed. It just makes things much easier

Comment

Originally posted by AntiScope View Post
                  thats why BMW did it like that it so you don't haft to take your hand off the wheel to open the windows , i get annoyed now when i drive car that has them on the door
                  88 325is Five Speed
                  Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
                    I think his use of the Chrysler was just showing how lame the offerings from the US carmakers were compared to the European cars
                    Lame offerings in 1985?

Buick;
                    Skyhawk T-Type
                    Regal T-Type
                    Grand National

Chevrolet;
                    Camaro IROC-Z
                    Monte Carlo SS
                    Monte Carlo SS Auro Coupe
                    Corvette

Chrysler;
                    Lazer
                    LeBaron GTS

Dodge;
                    Daytona Turbo Z
                    Omni GLH
                    Shelby Charger
                    Lancer

Ford;
                    EXP Turbo
                    Mustang

Mercury;
                    Capri RS 5.0
                    Cougar XR-7

Oldsmobile;
                    Cutlass 442

Plymouth;
                    Their line up did suck unless you wanted a mini van lol

Pontiac;
                    Fiero
                    Sunbird
                    Firebird
                    Trans Am
                    Grand Prix

Yeah lets see here, lets compare the other American cars offered in 1985 to the 1985 318i. If i was to walk into a dealership in 1985 and look at the BMW 318i and seen what it offered (m10, seats that feel like you're sitting on a park bench, huge aluminum bumpers, wheels that look like bottle caps, $16,000 price tag!) Now i know most on here hate American cars and trucks. But i got to wonder if most can't take a step back and really look and see past their fan boyism. A lot of the cars i listed i really like, but i do see theings on those cars and think, WTF GM or Mopar... What was you thinking there LOL!

My pick for 85 Would be an Monte Carlo SS, white with t-tops $9,500-$11,000 new

Or a Buick Grand National, fully loaded with t-tops also $12,600 new

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
                    thats why BMW did it like that it so you don't haft to take your hand off the wheel to open the windows , i get annoyed now when i drive car that has them on the door
                    BMW made windows where you didn't have to take your hands off the wheel? I didn't know they offered a telekinesis package for the car!

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Monte Carlos are one of my least favorite cars. Sorry. Ugly body shape, lethargic fuel guzzling v8, and the worst part...a Chevy bowie on the trunk.

318s weren't barnstormers but the e30 in general was a better car than any of those listed. Turbo Mopars were cool I guess but ugh front wheel drive

Comment

that write-up should have been a comparison of a 1986 M3 to a 1986 FORD tempo.

that would have been a much better comparison.

I love me some e30s, but honestly, out of those 2 cars posted, give me that comfy ass Chrysler 5th AVE.!!!!!!!

that 318 really does look sad, even though E30 interiors/exteriors can look very nice.
                        Last edited by mikeedler; 11-05-2012, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I had a fifth Ave. It was comfy but a pile of crap. It had that spark control computer on the aircleaner which I'm pretty sure was faulty, because on the highway it would just die after a certain time.. then if u waited it would start up again and run for a short time .. I ended up smashing it up against the highway guardrails..I was so mad at the car.
                          Later on I parked it and people stole the plates and burned the car

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                            BMW made windows where you didn't have to take your hands off the wheel? I didn't know they offered a telekinesis package for the car!

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
                              I had a fifth Ave. It was comfy but a pile of crap. It had that spark control computer on the aircleaner which I'm pretty sure was faulty, because on the highway it would just die after a certain time.. then if u waited it would start up again and run for a short time .. I ended up smashing it up against the highway guardrails..I was so mad at the car.
                              Later on I parked it and people stole the plates and burned the car
                              Yeah the lean burn system on them did suck. Most took it off and put a normal old 2Bbl on it.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Working...
                              X