Swap choices, S54, Euro S50, or something else?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Asbradley21
    replied
    Originally posted by JGood
    m60/m62? Uses Bosch Motronic 3.3 so it wires in just like an m50. Engines are usually ~$700, easy to find, don't require any major maintenance, all aluminum so weight gain is not significant, parts are fairly cheap, etc...

    I'm sure the s54 would make a faster car overall, but the HP/$ may be something to think about. And the low end power is nice. The main obstacle in the m60 swap is the brake booster. You could run a Tilton/Wilwood 3 pedal booster-less setup, that would be ideal for a track car anyway.
    I don't want v8. I also don't want to replace shitty timing chain guides.

    Leave a comment:


  • Asbradley21
    replied
    Originally posted by Roysneon
    Would be easy to simply send your harness and DME from the S54 to any of the shops well versed in this swap, then simply plug it in to get your car running with an S54.
    The only question though is will it fit in my budget to have that done?

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Oh? M62s don't require any major maintenance? :p I'll concede that maintenance on the S54 definitely ain't cheap.

    Leave a comment:


  • JGood
    replied
    m60/m62? Uses Bosch Motronic 3.3 so it wires in just like an m50. Engines are usually ~$700, easy to find, don't require any major maintenance, all aluminum so weight gain is not significant, parts are fairly cheap, etc...

    I'm sure the s54 would make a faster car overall, but the HP/$ may be something to think about. And the low end power is nice. The main obstacle in the m60 swap is the brake booster. You could run a Tilton/Wilwood 3 pedal booster-less setup, that would be ideal for a track car anyway.

    Leave a comment:


  • ///schwartzman
    replied
    For all the aforementioned reasons the S54 is the best ///M motor swap for the e30... UNLESS you can find the new N20 motor, economy and upgradeable turbo power...

    Leave a comment:


  • Roysneon
    replied
    Would be easy to simply send your harness and DME from the S54 to any of the shops well versed in this swap, then simply plug it in to get your car running with an S54.

    Leave a comment:


  • Asbradley21
    replied
    Oh damn, well, that would take care of EVERYTHING wouldn't it... If it could be done for 1-1.5k that would be okay.

    Leave a comment:


  • DaveSmed
    replied
    It includes preprogrammed stand alone engine management I believe, just to give you a ballpark idea.

    There are also people who can flash the stock DME for a more affordable option.

    Leave a comment:


  • Asbradley21
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveSmed
    I believe Alex Lipowich at http://abloriginalparts.com/ has harnesses that make the S54 swap pretty straightforward.

    Thats a guy who is THE man for euro engines, designing and selling a way to swap S54s. That says a bit I think...
    Definitely looking into this. Thank you. Do you know how much one of his harnesses runs? It seems unclear on the website.

    Leave a comment:


  • DaveSmed
    replied
    I believe Alex Lipowich at http://abloriginalparts.com/ has harnesses that make the S54 swap pretty straightforward.

    Thats a guy who is THE man for euro engines, designing and selling a way to swap S54s. That says a bit I think...

    Leave a comment:


  • DaveSmed
    replied
    There all older/higher mileage then a comparable S54, parts are an absolute pain in the ass to get (try getting sparkplugs the same day you realize you need them...) and they are still rather expensive all things considered because of there rarity.

    The S54 is a cinch to get parts for, lower mileage examples are easier to come by, its just as much of a pain in the ass to physically swap as any other ITB 6 in an E30, makes a bit more power, the OBD2 stuff can be flashed away (for a price), but I hear it is a bit less durable than the euro. (FWIW my euro is apart at the moment because it decided to inhale an intake valve)

    Leave a comment:


  • Asbradley21
    replied
    I will admit, this s54 for sale seems really attractive. But the wiring and EWS scares me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    S54 is the better, newer, cheaper, more available motor and not nearly as tough to swap as it was a few years ago.

    Leave a comment:


  • Asbradley21
    replied
    Really? What about the euro s50 do you not like?

    Originally posted by acolella76
    Have you given any thought to forced induction? A turbo M52 would be well in your budget and power goals.
    I don't want to go FI because of issues with southern summer heat and hot long track days. I've seen turbo cars drop like flies in the hottest parts of the day.

    Leave a comment:


  • acolella76
    replied
    Have you given any thought to forced induction? A turbo M52 would be well in your budget and power goals.

    Leave a comment:

Working...