So yeah... that vibration I was having?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So yeah... that vibration I was having?

Well, it decided it would make it's big finale tonight. Andrew, his girlfriend and I, all went to see Hostel. He and his gf went in his car, and I went in my car. When the movie was over, we went the same route home, and came to a stoplight at a 2-lane one way, next to each other. So as the light is red, we're sitting at the light, revving our engines at each other, like we're going to race, not that either of us had any real intention of doing so.

So the light turns green, I let the revs fall back down to normal, shift back to first, and start to drive away, when a most crunchy sound fills my ears. My car will only move about a foot forward, accompanied by more of the crunchy sound. Not good, says I. I shift into reverse, and once again, only about a foot, then comes the crunchiness. So I get out of the car, and there's 2 bolts that go through the flexdisc, connecting the driveshaft to the tranny.

I don't think the threads on bolts are supposed to look like that...

I started to notice more vibration today in 1st and 2nd, and began to suspect that maybe something was wrong at the flexdisc. Well, sure enough, that's what's goin' on, folks. We think that the nuts that used to reside at the ends of these bolts loosened themselves over time, and disappeared long ago (there was no sign of them). The bolts have probably just been holding on for dear life by their threads, and tonight, they just had it.

Once I get the car back to my house, I'll jack it up, and take a look. Maybe with any luck, the driveshaft will still be ok. Luckily, there was no fluid or any other broken parts laying around, so I think I'll be alright. I just hope the output flange of the tranny survived!

molykote spec'd to torque

that's nuts bro, when you IM'd me I thought you crashed or something, thank god!
    R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Yah, when I did it, I didn't have a Bentley so I wasn't sure of torque specs. I just tightened them until I thought they were tight enough. It would appear that they weren't tight enough. :D

I'm hoping I'll get off light, and maybe I'll just need some new nuts/bolts and a new flexdsic.

Comment

New bolts with nyloc nuts. Stops that from happening.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
          New bolts with nyloc nuts. Stops that from happening.
          Cool, thanks. I'll pick some up this weekend.

Comment

Exactly what happened to me... a month ago almost now. :(

Except my CSB fuckin blew up also alogn with it.

Comment

Originally posted by f u z z
              Exactly what happened to me... a month ago almost now. :(

Except my CSB fuckin blew up also alogn with it.
              I'll probably replace that too, just to err on the side of caution.

Comment

i just had the same problem 2 days ago. When it was put up on the lift, one of the bolts was missing and two more were loose.

Comment

PWNED!

Dealer kept giving me the wrong nuts, so I just grabbed some nylon self-locking nuts for the cheap at Lowes.

hahhahahahha. PWNED!

Comment

unfortunate, hopfully its an easy fix and you caught it early enough that no serious damage was caused.

Comment

same thing happened to me to, i caught it before it got so the bolt fell out though
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

hehe, that always sucks. Its happened to me twice :P

Comment

It happened to me, although I didnt let the revs fall and leave slowly... dropped the clutch at 6k with 3 fat guys in my backseat

Comment

haha-

when I had just finished my m50 swap, kris (bimmerphile) tara (on the board) and I went for a mountain drive up to our local ski hill. I started fucking around in the parking lot and snapped two bolts in half.

The nice thing was I still had a running engine, and therefor power brakes.

kris towed me on the uphil sections with his slipping clutch.

good times. I <3 brotherhood.

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                            On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                            BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Why I wish I'd had a Bentley manual when I did the driveshaft job in the first place:

Excerpt from the Bentley, Driveshaft and Final Drive, section 4.3 "Replacing Flexible Coupling"

"Do not reuse self locking nuts. These nuts are designed to be used only once, and should be replaced whenever they are removed"

Comment

Working...
                              X