Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 content....steering wheel rattle...not creak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 content....steering wheel rattle...not creak.

Ok, so it's done this since I bought the car. This rapid tick tick tick in the steering wheel. It's not the creak, popping noise that's typical. I've heard that searching for a solution to my problem.

I've replaced the front suspension, everything, even the rack (it was worn out), tie rods, control arms are new, front struts, etc. New tires, balanced, everything, no bends in the wheels.

Replaced the steering wheel and clock spring too. My wheel was coming apart and Inufaye had one from his 98, so everything has been done. What gives?

It only does it up to 55mph. Afterwards it's smooth, but 3/4 of my commute is at 45 so it's constantly rattling. I can hear it over the stereo too, it's loud.

Halp please?
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Can you take the airbag off, go for a drive and see if you hear/see something?
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Xat1cZ View Post
      Can you take the airbag off, go for a drive and see if you hear/see something?
      Yup, did that. Even taped everything down behind the airbag and went for a drive.

Still rattles.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

the e60s have a problem where the turn signal stalk gets a wierd rattle sound. grab the stalk and hold it and see if the sound goes away. If that doesn't help, just get a complete new steering column from a junk car, they are pretty easy to change.

Comment

Working...
        X