Should the next M3 have a i6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the next M3 have a i6

I was just curious on peoples thoughts on a V8 M3 or should BMW go back to the i6? Personally i dont like the V8. It is a stupendous engine but its not M3. To me the V type engines are the M5 and M6 engines. What are your thoughts? I have been reading and looks like BMW may be putting a i6 turbo in the next M3 and they are splitting it into 2 sections a M3 4-door and a M4 coupe and cabriolet. What are your thoughts on this as well?
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

The cars aren't getting any smaller. V10

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Yes. 3s should top out at an I6 in general. Vees are for 5s +, the more grand touring type cars. Threes should be more sporty. They're turning into small 5/6s.

Shit, the e30 M3 had a smaller engine than a regular e30 325i/e.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
        The cars aren't getting any smaller. V10
        A V10 in am M3 lol no. that engine would make the M3 way too front heavy. Unless they do what lexas did and make it tiny.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by titan_omega View Post
          a v10 in am m3 lol no. That engine would make the m3 way too front heavy. Unless they do what lexas did and make it tiny.
          lol3literv10

Comment

I4s and I6s were the epitome of the small compact, M3s high output motors. Anyone can tune a V8 to give high outputs; not everyone can make an I6 that spews out 100+ HP per liter. With a V8 in the bay, the new M3 was just a glorified muscle car. I agree going back to BMW roots is a smart move, but...

No M4... Oh God..

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
              I4s and I6s were the epitome of the small compact, M3s high output motors. Anyone can tune a V8 to give high outputs; not everyone can make an I6 that spews out 100+ HP per liter. With a V8 in the bay, the new M3 was just a glorified muscle car. I agree going back to BMW roots is a smart move, but...

No M4... Oh God..
              from what iv been reading thats what the 4 series is basically gonna be just coupe and cabriolet 3 series so i guess the M3 is getting an M4 badge but we will know a lot more with the Geneva motor show. BMW i think is unveiling it for the 2014 release. I predict that the M4 will not sell as well as any M3 in history just because its getting the M4 badge.

sigpic

Comment

The LFA v10 revs like a 4banger. Weighs like a v6. That would be awesome

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

TT i6 sounds about right.

As far as the M3/M4 go, thats just whack. M4 sounds like a highway in England.
                  harry/harout

Comment

I don't care what the configuration is, I just hope it doesn't have a turbo, which I'm sure it will. In my opinion, M cars should be NA and very light, like any good sports car. My ideal M3 would weigh less than 3,000lb and be a NA straight six with between 350-400hp. The M3 CSL would have been perfect with a manual transmission.

Comment

The next M3 should have no more than 4 cylinders.
                      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                        The next M3 should have no more than 4 cylinders.
                        Just call it a throw back and people will eat it up.

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
                          I don't care what the configuration is, I just hope it doesn't have a turbo
                          Also agree

I think that's why the previous M3s were so cool.
                          Small, light, compact, all had NA and most boasted 100+ HP per liter on that NA powerband.

Anyone can make an engine fast by turbo, it takes true engineering breakthroughs to continue pushing the power output on a NA I6

Comment

What ive heard is that bmw is thinking they are going to be using an inline 6 for their next motorsport car. heres the thing, the new motorsport 3 series to be released is the 4 door. like the F30 body style using the M3 badge... thats becauses the 3 series will only be a four door, and the two door will be the new 4 series...and the motorsport version of the two door F30 will be wearing the M4 badge..
                            Originally posted by TimKninja
                            Racelands are cheap shit.
                            Originally posted by whodwho
                            So are r3v members
                            Originally posted by Cabriolet
                            dude, this is R3v. there's like 40 project threads, and like 20 FS threads and 100 members ride threads of stupid shit. guaranteed laughs on every page. cut springs, rolled cars at 20mph, fishtank heater core, selling broken stuff, painting cars with paint brush, cheap wings, hella-flush and then there is Vlad, king of the eta M3

Comment

Originally posted by 1fastm50 View Post
                              What ive heard is that bmw is thinking they are going to be using an inline 6 for their next motorsport car. heres the thing, the new motorsport 3 series to be released is the 4 door. like the F30 body style using the M3 badge... thats becauses the 3 series will only be a four door, and the two door will be the new 4 series...and the motorsport version of the two door F30 will be wearing the M4 badge..
                              This is counterintuitive. If they simply MUST shuffle around the series, all 2dr should all be a new 2 Series, all hatchbacks are 3 series and four doors are 4 series. No M3 should have 4 doors in my opinion and if its does, it should have the M5 engine. So the only M cars you have are the M2 (old M3) and M4 (old M5). The 5 series all have to be stupid GTs (four doors plus hatch makes 5), 6 series should never have come back, and SUVs should NEVER be M badged. That leaves us with 2 M cars which should be really hardcore NA straight 6 for the M2 and NA V8 or V10 for the M4.

There, got that out. If only anyone at BMW cared what I think :(

Also, I agree about the throwback. If they came out with a e30 M3 tribute model identical inside and out except with a modern NA 4 banger, modern suspension and weighing around 2,500lb, they would sell out before it was available.

Comment

Working...
                              X