No announcement yet.

4lug vs 5lug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't intending a direct comparison between SE30 and a swapped car, I was just pointing out that stock brakes are probably adequate for most users. It's not like a BBK is going to make your car stop in half the distance vs stock brakes...as my post alluded to, sticky tires are a better investment overall.

Most of the SpecE30 guys don't have issues with fade, but rather caliper flex and tapered pad wear. UUC and Massive make excellent products for 4-lug cars if one does decide they want bigger brakes, and I'm pretty confident those setups will be superior to the OE e36 or e30m3 parts on a 5-lug swap because of the caliper and rotor designs.

I don't see any downside. You can fit an 8" wide wheel and a wide enough tire (if there is such a thing) in 15" through 17" with 4 lugs.

Comment

I'm running 17x8/9 with proper tires^ UUC BBK works insanely well, 4 pot with even pad wear and tons of grip.
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

I'm running one of massive's bbk kits and the car stops amazingly well time and time again. Just get a quality bbk and be done with it.

Originally posted by blunttech
        Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Originally posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
          I'm running one of massive's bbk kits and the car stops amazingly well time and time again. Just get a quality bbk and be done with it.
          I have UUC's BBK, and agree completely. It's been great for street, autox, and track for me.
          88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
          We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

I think a lot of guys do 5 lug because its a "cool" thing or for wheel selection. There's a bunch of good suspension options for e30s. Good set of coils and a BBK and you'll have a better setup than these guys running stock e36 stuff.
            I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
            Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

I think this thread is getting off track. The OP original question was about wheels and brakes, not suspension.

Originally posted by henna 3ree View Post
              i know wheels and brakes are a big reason why people go the 5lug route but i am not sure what to do.

i will be dropping in a s52 with a built dinan super charger to hopfully reach 350 hp. if i get a big brake kit from wilwood and run 4lug is there anything i should be worried about with 4lug. is that to much power not to have the extra lug?

thank you
              His question(s) are not that clear in the first place......

I think he wants to know if 350hp has lug snapping ability.....Not likely.

And his questions with the 4-lug BBK doesn't really specify what hes asking. From a stand-point of being worried about 4-lug BBK, they're sold by multiple people and many that have answered use them....so no, I wouldn't be worried.

Unless I missed something I don't think he stated what the car was going to be used for. I think from a brake stand-point that makes a big difference. If the brakes are going to be used to stop at stop signs and lights and not slowing him down going into a turn at 90mph we should probably do the guy right in telling him that stock brakes with fresh rotors and good pads will do the trick.

What wheels are you running? what size? Maybe a BBK would do him good to fill in the gap.

Critical thinking here boys, all your answers were valid in there own sense but missed the mark in a few places on actually answering his question.
              sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
                I have UUC's BBK, and agree completely. It's been great for street, autox, and track for me.
                Agreed, just be aware that your choice of 4 lug wheels drops considerably with these bbk's.
                sigpic
                1991 318is S52
                1987 325i Vert
                1991 325i
                2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                  Their [BBKs] main purpose is to dissipate heat quicker to reduce brake fade. Stopping power is a function of the master cylinder.
                  I disagree. Stopping power is a function of the master cylinder diameter, caliper piston diameter and quantity, brake rotor radius, tire coefficient of friction, and weight distribution of the car, for starters. Any one of those things changing can have an equally meaningful effect on the braking performance of the vehicle. Yes, the thermal capacity of the brake rotors is equally important, but size also plays a role in braking performance.
                  1991 318i SOLD
                  2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                    His question(s) are not that clear in the first place......
                    Originally posted by henna 3ree View Post
                    i will be dropping in a s52 with a built dinan super charger to hopfully reach 350 hp. is that to much power not to have the extra lug?
                    His question couldn't be clearer. Sometimes when you post in a forum you don't want a straight Yes or No or you would search. If he reads the posts we'll see that that we all pretty much say he'll be okay. The suspension questions probably wasn't 2 far behind.
                    I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                    Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

i want to start off and say thank you for everyone's input. i plan to run the car more at auto cross and mountain driving but i will make a few trips a year to the track. im almost complete with the m tech 1 body kit and my next step was either going to be a 5lug kit with suspension or just buying suspension and a big brake kit. i have esm wheels on the car now and i have style 5's i would use if i went the 5 lug route and if not maybe redrill them to 4 lug. i def have some thinking to do after all of this.

thanks again everyone!

Comment

Working...
                      X