rust always in rockers, bottom doors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rust always in rockers, bottom doors?

Having moved to the north with texas cars, I'm kinda paranoid about rust prevention now. Ive been wondering why rust typically forms on the rocker panel and bottom of the doors? Anyway to prevent this?
    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Its from the salt used on the roads. I'm not sure of any way to really prevent it other then washing it off every so often, and using some sort of rust prevention coating like rust-oleum. Best bet is if you dont want rust on your car, buy a beater to drive during the winter.

Comment

You have to have a dedicated winter car that you don't care about as much. I only drive my 325ix and my truck in the winter while my other cars hibernate in my warehouse from the first time they salt the roads in November until a good rain storm washes it away in March or April.

Comment

does salt eat through paint? Doesnt make sense to me.
        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Take it from somebody who has always lived in the rust belt. Buy a winter beater if you want to keep a vehicle nice. Because there is no avoiding it. You drive it in the winter, it will rust eventually.

Driving on a salt/sand covered road is like getting your car constantly sand blasted. Your paint thins and rust grows. Only takes a chip for rot to creep up on you.
          sigpic

Comment

i live in south jersey and these bastards salt the piss out of the roads ant just the hint of snow. even on 40 degree days. rust is starting to creep in on my baby too. put shock mounts in last week and when i pulled out the left side trunk liner, there was a whole the size of a silver dollar looking straight through to the ground. i went the por15 repair rout and it turned out pretty well. shit that stuff is pricy though.
            sigpic

Comment

There are things you can do like Waxoyl in the door cavities and any exposed seams but as stated...get a winter beater. I have had winter beaters since I was 17. The plus side is every spring its like getting a new car when you first get them out. The down side is storage for all your nice cars.
              We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
              www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

does salt eat through paint? Doesnt make sense to me
                Salt eats through any hole in the paint and makes a really big hole in the paint.

My first E30 was a coat of paint over a large blob of rust in the shape of an E30, but the paint looked great. "These cars rust from the inside out.", somebody told me too late.

It starts at the front jack points, the rear wheel arches, under the back seat squab at the aft corners, the rear towers, the front towers, and on and on. Eventually all the floor pan is rust with no structural integrity but the paint still looks great.

Rust never sleeps, and it hates your car.
                Last edited by SubDad; 03-13-2013, 04:22 PM. Reason: Floating "". Gawd I hate salt, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyyisntt View Post
                  Take it from somebody who has always lived in the rust belt. Buy a winter beater if you want to keep a vehicle nice. Because there is no avoiding it. You drive it in the winter, it will rust eventually.

Driving on a salt/sand covered road is like getting your car constantly sand blasted. Your paint thins and rust grows. Only takes a chip for rot to creep up on you.
                  This^ I never drive my BMWs in the salt. Do not care how much you wash/wax. Rust will show up!
                  ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                  ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                  ~ '87 535
                  ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                  ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Should have paid attention in chemistry class if salt reactions don't make sense to you :)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Salt is wicked shit. My 87 has a few little spots, the worst being along the seam under the drivers door. I'm not sure how to fix it as the rust is along the seam.
                      09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
                      05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
                      87 BMW 325is
                      a few bicycles

Comment

I lost my first e30 to rust .

Buy a winter beater. Honestly . These roads eat cars alive. Does shifting at redline wear out your motor faster?
                        1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                        1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                        1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Working...
                        X