Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thoughts on 80's Jags.... I'm not kidding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ever you do, don't buy a Jag from the salt belt. The rockers all rust from inside out because Jag used "sealed and untreated" rockers. Jag was also really cheap at treating underbody and suspension parts (especially during the Ford X type and S type era). I've worked on many Canadian Jags and just to replace the brake pads and rotors it takes tons of WD40 and hours of torching bolts just to remove everything.

Not worth it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by _JohnnyD_ View Post
      What ever you do, don't buy a Jag from the salt belt. The rockers all rust from inside out because Jag used "sealed and untreated" rockers. Jag was also really cheap at treating underbody and suspension parts (especially during the Ford X type and S type era). I've worked on many Canadian Jags and just to replace the brake pads and rotors it takes tons of WD40 and hours of torching bolts just to remove everything.

Not worth it!!!
      Tee hee! Inboard brakes on the XJSs were a fantastic idea! I recommend everyone here replace a set.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
        Tee hee! Inboard brakes on the XJSs were a fantastic idea! I recommend everyone here replace a set.
        First time I saw that I thought, "thats awesome #becauseracecar" then I really thought about it and dreaded the day I would have to replace them. luckly none of the shops XJS's needed them done in my time there
        Last edited by Brezzi; 06-12-2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

The late 90's Jag's are some of the best Jags and luxury cars built. The majority of buyers seem to enjoy the 6cyl models as they are also easier on gas

Personally, I've also considered them. Soooo smooth looking, and reliable too
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Though it's not really in the context of this discussion, I've heard good things about the 4.0 V8 that they developed in the early 2000s. A sort of counterpart to the M60/M62.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
              and reliable too
              Originally posted by mikeb23ft View Post
              Though it's not really in the context of this discussion, I've heard good things about the 4.0 V8 that they developed in the early 2000s. A sort of counterpart to the M60/M62.
              You guys are kidding right?
              I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
              Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Hey, just what I heard. Certainly not an expert. There is this.

Comment

Comment

Owning a Land Rover I feel I have merit to say this. Owning a british vehicle is a lifestyle. My truck has been great, but I'm also under the mindset of expecting things to go wrong. So when it gets me to where I need to go problem free, I get pleasantly surprised.

When you own a Toyota, and something breaks, you tend to throw a shit storm.

When you own a British vehicle, and something breaks, you kinda shrug your shoulders and move on.

You become constantly surprised at how often it doesn't break.
                    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
                      You guys are kidding right?
                      you see the reviews i posted ?
                      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

My godfather has owned 2 SBC powered XJ6's. His have been suprisingly ok, but lots of rust. I can see the appeal tho.

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                        :rofl::rofl::rofl:
                        Ive got a friend who owns an MBG and a Rangerover and he says pretty much the exact same thing.
                        sigpic
                        Delphin '87 325i Vert

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                          When you own a British vehicle, and something breaks, you kinda shrug your shoulders and move on.

Isn't this the truth!

But it was proven in Top Gear UK, Bolivia special (best episode ever) that the most unreliable vehicle in the world is the most reliable vehicle in the world.....and just a side note, it was the Toyota that gave the most trouble.

Rover, best 4x4xfar.
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                          X