R3V on WRXs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R3V on WRXs.

I'm looking at a 2004 WRX Sportwagon. It's a clean stocker with 137k miles and a five speed. Silver over black cloth.

I'm sure somebody around here has had one. I hear bad things about transmissions but that's really all I know. I don't plan on modifying it at all if I get my hands on it, so I don't think I'll have much of an issue there. Other thoughts? I got a 318is slicktop in the garage but it's a project, and my E36 just blew up last month. It's junk now. My girlfriend is tired of driving me around and I need reliable transportation.

I have a 2013 WRX hatch as a daily. It's no BMW, but it's a fun ass entry level turbo car.

Nothing to add on the older ones.
    Originally posted by blunttech
    Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

eh, turbo's start to go out around that mileage. Headgaskets will start to seep also. really depends on how well it was kept up, and how hard of a life its had. Fuel system develops leaks also, will be most evident on cold starts. Transmission problems also depend on how hard they have been driven. you can usually tell on a test drive if the syncros are going out(grinding into 1st gear usually). Also want to make sure the timing belt was done, should have been done somewhere between 80K-100K, but that isnt always the case.

i
      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Thanks man. I'll make sure they have records and a carfax. I've never bought a car from a dealership before, though I did sell cars for a period of time, so I'm very hesitant. They want $8995 for it. I think if I can get it for somewhere around $7500 I'll seriously consider it, depending on condition.

Comment

My brother in-law recently bought an '02 WRX with 180K on the clock for $5K. ended up dumping another $7K into it to get it reliable and semi-modified to his liking. And that is with me helping him wrench, so mostly parts cost.

Turbo was blown. ALL rubber hoses were toast, valve covers were leaking bad, injector seals leaking, suspension blown, brakes toast, wheel bearing in front toast, axles were going out, swapped out crappy cloth interior for leather. rims, tires, missing trim/body pieces, fog lights, dash bulbs, the works man.

Also done alotta work on my buddy's 04 WRX with STI motor swap, as well as an '05 wrx wagon, 2012 WRX, and my 2012 Forester. They are fun cars, just require some maintenance, like any other used car...

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
            My brother in-law recently bought an '02 WRX with 180K on the clock for $5K. ended up dumping another $7K into it to get it reliable..
            This is basically my nightmare.

Comment

The car in question.

Comment

looks pretty clean on the outside, just bring some ramps with you and drive it up to look at the underside. Any leaks on these cars is pretty easy to spot. Also the turbo should give a fairly smooth power band all the way up to 6K RPM. if it hesitates, or acceleration feels choppy, dead giveaway the car needs work.

Comment

Upon closer inspection of the pics it has a kart boy ssk, maybe an exhaust, and is that rust in the spare well? Hm.

Comment

Helped 10Toes rebuild the transmission on his WRX, boy they are made out of glass... quick cars, but they seem to have cheap components and the interior is certainly not what I consider a nice place to be.

Comment

Do the transmissions go out even on the stock ones, or is it usually associated with added boost?

Comment

I had a Forester. Biggest POS I have ever owned. I consider subarus like audis. Well maintained and constantly looked after then they are awesome cars. Neglected and they will hurt your bank card, badly.. I would buy as stock as possible and well serviced. The tranny fluid interval is 30k, if they don't know that then run away. Never launch from a dead stop.

Comment

I drove the car and it was just terrible on the whole. I'm not sure how the automotive press has fallen so in love with them. The steering and turn-in were imprecise at best. The brake pedal was soft for a few inches and then instantly came on like a switch. It idled at 1600 rpm. The service records indicated that it had overheated due to a burst hose 200 miles ago. The Kartboy shifter was somehow both notchy and imprecise, which is really an achievement. And...

IT WAS SO SLOW.

For a car that is on paper faster than my last 'real' car ( a 1999 540i/6) the thing was an absolute dog. Plus no boost gauge, really? To me, it was an economy car with a little more oomph.

What a letdown. I have been in love with the WRX since it came to America. I always swoon when I see a nice one, but now that I've driven one I'm completely over it.

Comment

I was looking at an 07 WRX before I bought my e46. Drove two or three of them, then drove the 330i (back to back with the one WRX) and two hours later the 330 was being driven home.

Can't they only handle like 400hp on stock insides?

...and isn't it a pain in the ass to do anything engine wise?

They do sound pretty schweet though, but are pretty cheaply put together. Plus every douche with a Subaru automatically has to pace you and sit along side you going down the highway.
                            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

If you want a wagon, I suggest sticking with BMW. WRX wagons are overpriced IMO for the exact reasons that have been mentioned by everyone. I just picked up an e39 touring in a trade. Awesome car

Always something to consider
                              '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                              '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
                              '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
                              '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Working...
                              X