exhaust smoke in the cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust smoke in the cold

aright that sounds retarded at first but if you live somewhere that gets pretty cold, you'll notice when you first start to drive you can see your exhaust. Once the cars engine has warmed up, even if its below 0, you can no longer see the exhaust unless your at wot. My question, is why can I see my exhaust in the cold when the car has warmed up. Does that mean its running rich or something?

www.rimstrader.com

all the parts you need to swap the M30 into your E30 here-> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=m30+mounts

99 540i/66 911

I think it has to do with ambient relative humidity. Notice what the dew point is and see if it correlates with the appearance of visible emissions. Dry air=invisible warmed up exhaust. Air at or near saturation=visible exhaust.

Comment

but once my car has warmed up, it seems like 90% of the cars driving you cant see their exhaust, and you can see mine

www.rimstrader.com

all the parts you need to swap the M30 into your E30 here-> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=m30+mounts

99 540i/66 911

Comment

it's moisture in your exhaust, as your car warms up it blows the moisture build up out... how long have you driven before you consider warmed up?

Comment

Well at least you're sure the car's not running lean. Lean = bad. So unless the smoke is suffocating, you're good to go.
          This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

Just put a potato in it :) no more exhaust smoke!

where are you in MN?

Im down in rochester
            Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

it doesn't mean anything. Until the car is completly warmed up and driven for a good 15 mins you'll be able to see it.

'05 Jetta TDI
              '87 325iS: Facelift, Hella Smoked Ellipsoids (RIP)
              '80 320i: 500lbs lighter, Rally/Drifter (SOLD!:( )
              '90 Jetta: Stock Daily Driver (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
              X