Some Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Advice Please

I have a 1987 bmw 325es I'd like to sell. I've had it for 20 years and taken great care of it. Mechanically, it still runs very well, and the body is fairly straight, although it does have some bumps and bruises and some broken bells and whistles. It's at about 250k, and my mechanic says its still one of the best ones in town.

Can anyone give me advice on how to sell it to someone that will love and restore it? I've loved this car, and I would love to see it live and be loved for years to come.

I live in Portland, Oregon.

If the thought of the car being neglected and destroyed upsets you, keep it.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

It doesn't upset me, just hoping it finds a good home or is put to good use. :)

Comment

You're the seller. If some baggy pants flat billed kid comes up and wants to buy it. You don't have to sell it to him.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
          You're the seller. If some baggy pants flat billed kid comes up and wants to buy it. You don't have to sell it to him.
          Generally, I'd agree with this. It's a thought to toss it up on the classifieds forum here, or over on bimmerforums. Then you're more likely to find a buyer who's enthusiastic about the car for what it is.

-'87 325 - ratbox swap http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...77#post3250277 << Check out my Wanted thread

Comment

You could always make an add, and just add in a minimum age for showing interest.
            No E30 Club
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
              You could always make an add, and just add in a minimum age for showing interest.
              That's quite a generalization, just cause my peers beat cars to death.

I'm 18, and I do all general maintenance myself, if I eat or see something going, I replace it.
              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
              willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                That's quite a generalization, just cause my peers beat cars to death.

I'm 18, and I do all general maintenance myself, if I eat or see something going, I replace it.
                Take 10 people <25, and 10 people >25.

Where do you think you will find more potentially bad endings to a car?

It is a generalization, but an accurate one. Why do you think insurance is more expensive when your 18?

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but setting an age limit for people coming to look at the car will weed out a lot potential irresponsible owners.
                No E30 Club

Comment

Forget the age limit - no need to be so patronizing. Just talk to potential buyers. Find out who they are and what their philosophy on car ownerships is. Ask them what type of car they're looking for and what they plan on doing with it. What kind of work do they do? Do they plan on doing their own work on the car? Do they plan on modifying it or keeping it original and maintaining it? Do they articulate themselves well on the phone or in emails? Do they cut corners, or believe it's worth doing right, if at all? What do they plan on buying for the car? And where do they plan on keeping it.
                  I'm in the <25 group. I'm the second owner of my car, and I am certainly taking better of my car than the previous owner, despite our differences in age. Yes, there are probably more people who could potentially ruin your car in the <25 group, but I think you can eliminate those buyers from the pool without setting an age limit. It's just gonna take patience.
                  diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

It's all in the types of questions they ask. A responsible owner cares more about longevity, driveability, maintenance and ask what needs to be done to keep it at its best.

Comment

you can ask the new owner where they plan to keep it, what are their plans for it, etc. i turned down a buyer for my M3, bc he wanted to leave it parked on the street in San Francisco and he couldnt drive manual.

Post it up for a higher price and wait it out for a mature owner.
                      Much wow
                      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                      X