Thinking about an e36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about an e36

I'm thinking about getting an e36 because I like the m50 (my parents have a 525it). If I sold my e30 i wouldnt be paying that much more fore a car alot newer and has airbags (laugh if you must). Plus its faster and gets better gas milage. My 325is gets about 15mpg city and 23 highway, the 525it gets 25 city and sometimes 30 highway! Anybody know of a good e36 forum? Not Roadfly
    1987 325is - sold
    2001 330i - New DD

Originally posted by Apex381
    If I sold my e30 i wouldnt be paying that much more fore a car alot newer and has airbags (laugh if you must).
    LOL.

A friend of mine would have a much better-looking nose if an airbag hadn't broken it once...

I bet you'll feel really safe knowing that you have a Mk 1 airbag (i.e. explosive device, no two-stage inflation, tough-as-nails canvas bag=rug-burned face) merely 12 inches from your chin.
    This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

I think your about to start a big stink here with that post!!haha
      if the car is alot newer, i would expect to pay alot newer prices then. i guess this is a worthless post, cause no, i dont know of any e36 forums.
      I dont think e36s are bad cars like alot here say, i just prefer the boxy style.

Comment

HA! I was trying to start something! I used to feel the same way about airbags until my girlfriend's life was saved by one (a mk 1 by the way). Are the ones in e36's really 1st gen though? I'm with you, I like the way the e30 looks alot better, but I think an e36 is just more practical. Plus I think I'll like that multi link suspension.
        1987 325is - sold
        2001 330i - New DD

Comment

but I think an e36 is just more practical. Plus I think I'll like that multi link suspension.
          Multi Link Suspension? IIRC the E36 suspension can be swapped to the E30 suspension so how does that make the 2 so different.. not to mention the E30 still out handles the E36.

I would buy an E36 for cruising or DD but not a track car.

Comment

Exactly, I want this for a DD.
            1987 325is - sold
            2001 330i - New DD

Comment

I like E36's, hell I've got 1.5 of 'em! They are worlds different from an E30, quiet, refined, bigger, more electronic gizmos. I think they make great daily drivers, but I still prefer the E30 because it's light, simple, and just has a raw feel to it.

edit: the 525 is an E34 - a good forum for both is bimmerforums

Comment

Thanks, I know its an e34 but it has the same engine!
                1987 325is - sold
                2001 330i - New DD

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
                  Multi Link Suspension? IIRC the E36 suspension can be swapped to the E30 suspension so how does that make the 2 so different.. not to mention the E30 still out handles the E36.

I would buy an E36 for cruising or DD but not a track car.
                  E36 DOES have a different, more advanced rear suspension, and a similarly prepared e36 'track car' will walk away from an e30.

That said, E30s can handle a lot more abuse and are more fun to drive. Noisier too.
                  San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Get a 318Ti. We have one, it rocks.
                    The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

+1 for the Ti. I had one for 2 years. You can haul tons of stuff, it's quiet, gets great gas mileage, can be thrown around like an E30 ....
                      San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerToad
                        can be thrown around like an E30 ....
                        That's probably because:

1. It's closer to e30 weight than the e36 is.

2. It shares ALL of the e30's suspension components
                        This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

You'll like the rear suspension, untill it rips away from the unibody.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well I've thought about the ti but I like the power/reliability of the m50 plus I really hate the way the 318ti looks. Yeah I know about the problems with the rearend and floor pans, but I didnt think this was something that happens on most e36's just a few freak occurances.
                            1987 325is - sold
                            2001 330i - New DD

Comment

Well I've thought about the ti but I like the power/reliability of the m50 plus I really hate the way the 318ti looks. Yeah I know about the problems with the rearend and floor pans, but I didnt think this was something that happens on most e36's just a few freak occurances.
                              Then you can goto sweet E36 meets and have a 325. No one does that.
                              The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Working...
                              X