Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*UPDATE, was a damn wheel bearing. Avoided massive highway fail*ATTN alignment gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*UPDATE, was a damn wheel bearing. Avoided massive highway fail*ATTN alignment gurus

So this does not exactly involve an e30 but my daily driver until I get my e30 up and running. It is a 2001 ford focus zx3 FWD hatchback. Some backstory...

Im driving down the highway and BAM, hit the biggest pothole ive ever seen. one knotted tire replaced and really shaken up dog. about 3 weeks later I start feeling a pulling motion to the right. I have no idea if these 2 things are connected seeing as how much time went by, seriously I hit the pothole on the left side of the car and the problem tire is on the right. Anyways I replace tie rods and sway bar endlinks because I knew they wre both shot to shit and I was hoping it would fix my wondering steering wheel and the pulling I feel on the highway when I change lanes only to the right. Next my alignment is way off because I can hear the rumble down the road. I take it to a nearby alignment shop and get it fixed. The owner gives off weird vibes, the quick talking agressive salesman... whatever there are douches all over the place. I get it back and

1. my steering wheel is still off center by a bit (which doesnt bother me)
    2. the obvious mis alignment rumbling is gone
    3. I still feel the pulling (owner explains it off later)

so he gives me a spec sheet and explains my rear right tires toe is way off and is what is probably causing the pulling/rumbling when I am on the highway and turn/change lanes right but he isnt sure. He says the adjustment is way off spec and he cant fix it. Im perplexed because I havent hit anything or otherwise messed with the rears in such a way that would throw it off. Whatever I figure I would crush this thing soon after my e30 is safe to drive.

Anyways, ffind out my local brake check is doing a free alignment check so I decide to double check the previous shops work and would you have guessed.... my alignment was off.
    The odd thing is that my front 2 wheels are off but the rear right wheels toe is within the manufacturers spec, which really fucked with my mind seeing as how the previous shop fixed the front two and told me there was a problem on the rear right. Some things I noticed

1. the machine the used was clearly marked, "for free alignment check only" (made me wonder if they are using a broken one)
    2. I didnt tell the brake check guy I had it aligned before, when I showed him his spec sheet vs previous spec sheet shop he got a little defensive, even though I tried to just get an honest explination. I straight up asked him if he thinks the previous shop fucked me and he gets defensive and says I cant comment.

Now the evidence... I attached both spec sheets and they seem to be close number but the greens and reds are very different between shops (before and afters). Anyone can help me decipher what went on? whos shop if full of fuckery? Both shops used the laser machine but the spec sheets they gave me even look a little different. I know my cambers are off but it is not as important as the toe situation at the moment....

This top one is from the first shop who gave me the bad vibe ..

and this is the free check at brake check

Last edited by joncrz; 01-06-2014, 05:29 PM.

My don't quote me list:

Originally posted by george graves
    I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

I would assume that because this has nothing to do with an e30, or a BMW for that matter, it would be better suited to go in General Discussion/Off Topic.

But, no offense, but it sounds like your 12+ year old Focus is a hunk of shit, like all of them by now are.

Also, what side hit the pothole?

Of course, your alignment was off after you replaced the tie rod ends. Are you telling us that you replaced your tie rod ends and had two alignment checks, and are wondering why your specs are off?

(EDIT: Further reading shows, I think, that you had one alignment, and one check, and I'm guessing you only had a two wheel up front and left the back jacked, and the first guy suggested common alignment accessories to bring the car within spec.)

Comment

I'm guessing that you slammed into a pot hole on the right side and jacked up the rear suspension somehow. Check out that rear right camber! LOL
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
        I would assume that because this has nothing to do with an e30, or a BMW for that matter, it would be better suited to go in General Discussion/Off Topic.

But, no offense, but it sounds like your 12+ year old Focus is a hunk of shit, like all of them by now are.

Also, what side hit the pothole?

Of course, your alignment was off after you replaced the tie rod ends. Are you telling us that you replaced your tie rod ends and had two alignment checks, and are wondering why your specs are off?

(EDIT: Further reading shows, I think, that you had one alignment, and one check, and I'm guessing you only had a two wheel up front and left the back jacked, and the first guy suggested common alignment accessories to bring the car within spec.)

No offense taken. This thing is going to turn into a shooting target when my e30 is safe to drive. What is sad is that the damn thing is pretty reliable and parts are fuckloads cheap. I swear alot of the parts on it I can find cheaper at the dealership than online after shipping.

did tie rods and endlinks ... .took it to a shop to fix.... they "fixed it" ... took it to brake check (without telling them the fronts are fixed) to double check the work and see if they can bring the rear right toe to spec (other shop could not) but they sheet completely contradicted the previous shop. and my question is ... which shop is trying to BS me?

I was going to post in general because there is more exposure there but I didnt want to get flamed there for a clear suspension problem in the general... guess im getting flamed here as well ...

anyways, just to reiterate the rear right toe never gave me problem up until recently and I cant pin point what threw it off ( I can hear it rumble when turning the wheel right on the highway) my best guess is that it was the pothole but there was a 3 week gap between the toe rumbling (and excessive pull) and the pothole so I am really confused.

My don't quote me list:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
          I'm guessing that you slammed into a pot hole on the right side and jacked up the rear suspension somehow. Check out that rear right camber! LOL
          Pothole was on the left ... but it was dark and I was doing 80 (texas hwy speeds, fuck yea) and the hole could have been big enough to span the whole car (construction). The odd thing is I didnt experience any toe rumble until 3 weeks after I hit the pothole.

My don't quote me list:

Comment

It will be crabbing something fierce I reckon. You have over 1 degree difference in camber between left and right on the front, thats enough to make the front want to pull to the left all the time, but on the rear you have a lot of positive camber on the right which will make the rear want to pull to the right. I can't even imagine where your steering wheel would be to drive the car straight, having to try and compensate for all these weird angles. Tyre wear must be showing some weird wear patterns.

I hate sheets like this because they don't include what the factory specs should be, so you can see what side is out.

Your problem is you are trying to get out of this without paying. Take it somewhere and pay the money to get a proper alignment done, if they don't have the factory specs for the car to compare against so they can tell you what wheel/side is likely to be the problem, go elsewhere. What is for sure is a whole bunch of your steering angles are out in both alignment sheets and need correcting.
            Just a little project im working on
            - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
              It will be crabbing something fierce I reckon. You have over 1 degree difference in camber between left and right on the front, thats enough to make the front want to pull to the left all the time, but on the rear you have a lot of positive camber on the right which will make the rear want to pull to the right. I can't even imagine where your steering wheel would be to drive the car straight, having to try and compensate for all these weird angles. Tyre wear must be showing some weird wear patterns.

I hate sheets like this because they don't include what the factory specs should be, so you can see what side is out.

Your problem is you are trying to get out of this without paying. Take it somewhere and pay the money to get a proper alignment done, if they don't have the factory specs for the car to compare against so they can tell you what wheel/side is likely to be the problem, go elsewhere. What is for sure is a whole bunch of your steering angles are out in both alignment sheets and need correcting.
              It's not about payment, not sure where u hot that impression. What I am concerned about is if the first shop did a good job or not, hence getting a second opinion. If I don't know what the sspecs mean how am I suppose to assume I am not getting duped either again or not. That is the problem, I don't understand the sheet and what it means. I don't have a go to mechanic with an alignment machine.

My don't quote me list:

Comment

Also steering is straight. No sway but there is excessive right pull when I turn the wheel right.

Btw if I wanted not to pay I would have ignored my endlinks and tie rods ;)
                Last edited by joncrz; 01-06-2014, 05:37 PM.

My don't quote me list:

Comment

update! update ! update!

turns out the pulling (or the whipping motion when I would try and correct the pull) was a freaking wheel bearing. It did not have the classic sound of a wheel bearing going out so it did not occur to me until I was left stranded next to the highway when I heard the sound 3 weeks and almost 280 miles after the pulling started!!! It would have been interesting seeing my wheel take off without my car ... lol

This also explains the off toe in the first sheet/first shop I visited. They were lazy fucks for not checking the wheel... they just assumed it was hit from the back or was the pothole. As soon as i pulled over I pulled on the wheel and it wobbled.

as for why the second sheet and place I visited said my front toes were off after the first alignment I have no idea. I still get a slight rumbling sound when I make right turns... I guess I need another alignment.

anyways, the take away message is that wheel bearing can also pull your vehicle in a direction and not just the common howl when they go out. Be careful and be aware of this in any of your vehicles... Also get you some AAA

My don't quote me list:

Comment

Huh. Ford.

Comment

Dude, was it that wicked pothole on 610? I hit that shit in my expedition the other night and Had to get an alignment. Now my truck rattles. Fuuuuu

Comment

Focus' are known for excessive rear camber. Camber bolts are about the only remedy. They're surprisingly not that bad of a car for an appliance and can be made quite tossable with a $250 SVT suspension kit.
                        91 318is M50 swapped
                        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                          Dude, was it that wicked pothole on 610? I hit that shit in my expedition the other night and Had to get an alignment. Now my truck rattles. Fuuuuu
                          yes! fuck yes it was!
                          When I hit it a few weeks ago it was massive, took out about 4 cars who were pulled over on the side. A few days later it was gone but I have noticed the same section is splitting again. Trust me when I tell you it is only going to get bigger if they dont take care of it.

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                          Focus' are known for excessive rear camber. Camber bolts are about the only remedy. They're surprisingly not that bad of a car for an appliance and can be made quite tossable with a $250 SVT suspension kit.
                          did not know that. I replaced two tires a weeks ago when I first hit the pothole... one was knotted and both were old. Wear was not perfectly even but it didnt seem like it was a cause for concern. What exactly does a camber bolt do vs a plate? or should I just camber turd-stance it and call it a day

Originally posted by 88e30is View Post
                          Huh. Ford.
                          +1
                          Last edited by joncrz; 01-06-2014, 09:12 PM.

My don't quote me list:

Comment

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

stop bumping threads you arsehat.
                              Just a little project im working on
                              - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Working...
                              X