1989 E30, Good Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 E30, Good Buy?

Found a listing for an 1989 E30 with 177K miles. Owner wants $3100 for it. I am wondering if this a good deal. Pictures look good, I am planning on looking at it on Saturday. Are there some things I should specifically look at?

Red
    Tan interior
    5-speed
    177k (working odometer)
    No-crack dash
    Good seats
    Cleaned and re-dyed tan carpeting
    Coilovers w/Bilstein shocks
    Plasti-dip bottlecaps (the original paint was flaking)
    Manual moon roof needs new gear (opens but it slips)
    New coolant temp sensor
    New Fuel Pressure Regulator
    New Plugs
    New Wires
    New Fuel filter
    Throttle Body replaced by P.O.
    sigpic
    1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
    I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

If paint is good, then yes!

Comment

Check for rust, that can kill the value pretty quickly. Otherwise it seems decent.
      88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
      We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Is price fair? What would be a acceptable price range? I checked NADA/Edmunds/KBB and the values are all over the place or dont go back far enough. I think NADA was the only one that went back and classified it as "classic" along with a much higher value. If it's in good shape is $2500 too low? Edmunds puts a 1990 E30 at $1800 for dealer value, and this is private party.
        sigpic
        1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Comment

Let me tell you the price is fair from what your telling us, try to heckle though, look for rust under the driver floor board and the passanger floorboard where it rocks up for the weel well, look under the car, besides the trunk battery compartment that is where the rust starts!

Comment

Check under the battery tray in the trunk, as well as the tail light gaskets/spare wheel well for rust. As well as doors, sunroof, and wheel wells. Aside from that, CHECK FOR LEAKS. I've seen about 12 (in the process myself) E30's and 9 of them had leaks somewhere on the car like shift seal, cam seal, valve cover, or head gasket.
            The price sounds great though, especially if the paint is like an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Comment

Originally posted by VanillaGorilla12 View Post
              Check under the battery tray in the trunk, as well as the tail light gaskets/spare wheel well for rust. As well as doors, sunroof, and wheel wells. Aside from that, CHECK FOR LEAKS. I've seen about 12 (in the process myself) E30's and 9 of them had leaks somewhere on the car like shift seal, cam seal, valve cover, or head gasket.
              The price sounds great though, especially if the paint is like an 8 or 9 out of 10.
              Damn every e30 I checked out had leaks. I would say almost all of them need every gasket changed at this point. Keep that into consideration OP, if you don't know how to work on cars your looking at a lot of $$

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
              1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
              1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
              1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
              1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
              1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
              Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
              1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
              1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

What else could you spend that $3,100 on? Re-evaluate that, then look at the car again.
                Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                  What else could you spend that $3,100 on? Re-evaluate that, then look at the car again.
                  You are right, there are probably better cars to spend $3k on, however I am going to take a look anyways. My current Nissan truck is in bad shape and needs a new timing chain, and I would rather buy a new car than keep pouring money into an old beater truck. I am stuck in Cincinnati and most of the cars in this price range are beat up pickup trucks or honda civics. I would rather buy a decent bmw and drive it for a while than buy another beat up truck or trashy car.

Craigslist Link
                  sigpic

Comment

It might just be the angle of the pic but, the trunk lid looks like its sitting high. Seams look off
                    sigpicWhat is that?... a lufa?... Its a Quinoa!
                    1989 325i, 1970 Chevy El Camino

Comment

tags: e30, bmw, 325, 325i, m20, Obama sucks, other random shit
                      lulz
                      Originally posted by kronus
                      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Focus on getting the best car with the fewest issues. Buy the best car, don't think about it costing too much. I can think of 10K to spend on my car to make it what a cali car for 5K would sell for.
                        i'lldoitforacaravan

Comment

I believe this is the car in question...

Its posted in the FS section by a member

Personally, i feel there is some wiggle room but it seems like a fairly sorted car.
                          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

its a great looking car... i like sedans ^_^ LOL
                            sigpic
                            1989 325is alpine white coupe 5spd
                            shock/spring: bilstein/vogtland
                            motor: stock

Comment

Working...
                            X