fight ticket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fight ticket?

Well, I got my first speeding ticket a few weeks ago. Supposedly I was going 70 in a 55 (thought it was a 65). I don't think I was going that fast, I also find it suspicious that I was going exactly a round number.

People say "always fight a ticket". What exactly entails "fighting a ticket"? Do you simply say "I wasn't speeding". Do you give an exuse? What do you do?
    Last edited by Jordan325iC; 03-25-2006, 01:17 AM.

'88 325is
    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
    BMWCCA 380364

I find what matters most in court is what you said at the time of the accident. Every time I've ever seen someone fighting a ticket(including myself), the judge always is very interested in what the driver says at the time of the ticket. Every time I've fought in court and I mentioned my reasoning for contesting at the time the ticket was issued, I've won.

If you said something at the time of the ticket(assuming its reasonably legit) your chances are good. When people didn't, the judge always asked "Why didn't you bring that up when the officer was writing the ticket" and 99 percent of the time they lost.
    sigpic
    "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Take it 2 a traffic lawyer. No points no traffic school. I always take em 2 court with a ticket lawyer. Trust me its the best bet.

Comment

Honestly your best bet is to go in there and ask the judge for a reduction. Hell drop the ticket down to some non moving violation and youll pay a smaller fine with no points and you wont have to go to traffic school. This way your not making some bs excuse and the judge will be happy cause the town will still make a little money of ya. Ive done this like 5 times and it works like a charm.
        Back to my roots

Comment

Yes, if you are still a kid you can get a student diversion in most states in which you just have to stay clean for a short period of time. In KS its 3 months if you dont have a wreck when the ticket was issued.
          Im now E30less.
          sigpic

Comment

just claim instrumentation malfunction
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I went down that highway again yesterday. From the time that I exited from one highway to when I got my ticket on the other highway, there are no speed limit signs. Could I use that?

'88 325is
              BMWCCA 380364

Comment

If there was other traffic around you, just say you were going with the flow of traffic. Its always worth fighting a ticket as long as its not a court date 2 states away. Ask me how I know:crazy: It just takes a bit of extra time.

Comment

i don't think that no speed limit sign, and flow of traffic is a good excuse... the limit is 65.... no more... so yep, if you'd say that to judge, he'd prolly answer:"it's 65 dude, if it doesn't say, that doesn't mean to go however your want".... about the flow of traffic, the judge will prolly say:"if the traffic is speeding, then that doesn't mean that you have to speed..." I'd go w/ instrument malfunction..
                  sigpic

Comment

The speed limit was 55, I thought it was 65 because the last speed limit sign I saw said 65. Still puts me at 5 over though.

'88 325is
                    BMWCCA 380364

Comment

'bout 2mnths ago, on tv there was news or somethin... a guy said that now cops won't be gentle to you w/ over 5mph speed... like before only if it's 2-4mph.... but that's a bitch anyways... 5miles over... best of luck to you!
                      sigpic

Comment

Jordan, just do the Defensive driving course. You won't win in a Texas court and a lawyer will cost more than the DD. Plus with the course it will keep the ticket off your record and reduce your insurance. Call the court and ask them what the procedure is for there.

I've done the DD online and also taken it at one of those comedy things. I work with computers and do everything online and I will NEVER do DD online again, it was one of the most horrible experiences of my life. The comedy thing I thought would be cheesey but was actually pretty good, sat in a lazy-boy chair for 6 horus, was fed pizza and it was all over with.

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
                        1989 325iC M50 Vert
                        1989 325i Coupe
                        1991 318is
                        1995 318ti Club Sport
                        2006 330i e90
                        2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30
                          'bout 2mnths ago, on tv there was news or somethin... a guy said that now cops won't be gentle to you w/ over 5mph speed... like before only if it's 2-4mph.... but that's a bitch anyways... 5miles over... best of luck to you!
                          The reason the cops usually avoid writing tickets for less than 10 over is that the degree of error on their radar gun combined with the error on your speedometer would cause the ticket to be thrown out in court. However if the cop wants to be a dick they may still do it banking on that fact that you won't contest it.

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
                          1989 325iC M50 Vert
                          1989 325i Coupe
                          1991 318is
                          1995 318ti Club Sport
                          2006 330i e90
                          2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

meh, i got busted going 78 in a 50 zone, it's km's eh, not as much of a difference as it sounds. but anyways it's on a downhill sloap, that turns in teh residential 50 at the bottom, my spedo was actually busted at the time, and i was going with the flow of traffic, and i knew i needed to be in the left lane about .5k ahead, and traffic was think so i jumped over into the left lane, continuted on my merry way down the hill in traffic, radar sitting at the foot of the hill, nailed me and me only... there was 3 other cop cars there, but i was the only one pulled over out of my "group' of cars..... i'm fighting it.....

Comment

Originally posted by BahnE30
                              meh, i got busted going 78 in a 50 zone, it's km's eh, not as much of a difference as it sounds. but anyways it's on a downhill sloap, that turns in teh residential 50 at the bottom, my spedo was actually busted at the time, and i was going with the flow of traffic, and i knew i needed to be in the left lane about .5k ahead, and traffic was think so i jumped over into the left lane, continuted on my merry way down the hill in traffic, radar sitting at the foot of the hill, nailed me and me only... there was 3 other cop cars there, but i was the only one pulled over out of my "group' of cars..... i'm fighting it.....
                              So if you and 10 other people rob a bank and you're the only one that gets caught then you can use that as your defense and get off?? Come on, what are you planning on telling them that you're speedo was broke?? Good luck, let me know how that goes for you

1988 M3 - Track Rat
                              1989 325iC M50 Vert
                              1989 325i Coupe
                              1991 318is
                              1995 318ti Club Sport
                              2006 330i e90
                              2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

Working...
                              X