Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old member with some E30 questions.

Hey all,

I am looking at picking up an E30 again or similar BMW. E34? E39? I for the last 6 years have been driving a 2002 SS Camaro that has around 510RWHP and is fully modded out from suspension etc. I am just sick of it to be frank. I bought the car built so it took all the fun out of modding it when it was done to someone else's tastes and wants. When I first drove it I was kinda taken by the obscene power and noise but the 16MPG and the 1200$ tires have just killed any fun and my wallet lol.

The Fbody has been bullet proof since I bought it but it is just not a drivers car in any sense of the word. Terrible blind spots, subpar road feel, awful interior, terrible ride. The ride I can forgive cause it is slammed on coil overs but it is borderline painful and useless in a DD role as a single speed bump will stop it dead in its tracks.

I sold my E30 88' 325iX years ago because I hit a dear with it and one of my biggest mistakes was to not go and purchase another one right after. Instead I bought a E24 that was a hidden heap, bent subframe all the electrics went bad in one year, clutch it was just a disaster.

I am just wondering what a clean 325iS goes for these days? Like sub 150K mi do they even exist any longer? Are E36s finally down in the 5-10K range? I don't know I just would like to get a drivers car again and was looking for some suggestions as I am just fed up with my SS. Something in the 10K range? FD? S2000? IDK I am just starting my search for a replacement.

Thanks for any help!
    Summer '85 E24 635csi Winter '88 E30 325iX, I lose 25% of my hp before I even turn the key.

Honestly, the E30 is a great car and while I've been looking for 2-3 months now. 95% of them are overpriced as all hell. They're glorified beaters in most cases. It's a tough market for one right now and I am tempted to just go the e34 route. I hope others can inspire you (and me) to stay in the market for the long haul.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
      Hey all,

I am looking at picking up an E30 again or similar BMW. E34? E39? I for the last 6 years have been driving a 2002 SS Camaro that has around 510RWHP and is fully modded out from suspension etc. I am just sick of it to be frank. I bought the car built so it took all the fun out of modding it when it was done to someone else's tastes and wants. When I first drove it I was kinda taken by the obscene power and noise but the 16MPG and the 1200$ tires have just killed any fun and my wallet lol.

The Fbody has been bullet proof since I bought it but it is just not a drivers car in any sense of the word. Terrible blind spots, subpar road feel, awful interior, terrible ride. The ride I can forgive cause it is slammed on coil overs but it is borderline painful and useless in a DD role as a single speed bump will stop it dead in its tracks.

I sold my E30 88' 325iX years ago because I hit a dear with it and one of my biggest mistakes was to not go and purchase another one right after. Instead I bought a E24 that was a hidden heap, bent subframe all the electrics went bad in one year, clutch it was just a disaster.

I am just wondering what a clean 325iS goes for these days? Like sub 150K mi do they even exist any longer? Are E36s finally down in the 5-10K range? I don't know I just would like to get a drivers car again and was looking for some suggestions as I am just fed up with my SS. Something in the 10K range? FD? S2000? IDK I am just starting my search for a replacement.

Thanks for any help!
      Well your in denver so thats lucky for seems like the closer to ali you the higher the Prices get. check denver cl I'm 99% sure theres a decent one on there I found my car on denvers craiglist and theres always cheap e30's in denver. I'd say 3k and you could get a really good e30

^^^ to me that would be a perfect starting point. it would just have to check i.e no rust and shit. I know you said 325 but a motor swap and this thing would be perfect and the 318is is a beast for gas mileage

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I bought a truly unmolested '88 325is with ~113k miles in near mint condition for $4900 just a few months ago [link]. By truly unmolested I mean, never having modifications; 99.9% original. They're getting harder and harder to come by as the years pass because they get bought, swapped, tracked and reswapped by nearly everyone. I think I found a unicorn with mine but the species isn't extinct... yet. Good luck with your search!

Comment

Originally posted by brett_duenas View Post
          I bought a truly unmolested '88 325is with ~113k miles in near mint condition for $4900 just a few months ago [link]. By truly unmolested I mean, never having modifications; 99.9% original. They're getting harder and harder to come by as the years pass because they get bought, swapped, tracked and reswapped by nearly everyone. I think I found a unicorn with mine but the species isn't extinct... yet. Good luck with your search!
          Dude sorry about your 320i thing was beautiful haha. new car is pristine though

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by e30ing View Post
            Honestly, the E30 is a great car and while I've been looking for 2-3 months now. 95% of them are overpriced as all hell. They're glorified beaters in most cases. It's a tough market for one right now and I am tempted to just go the e34 route. I hope others can inspire you (and me) to stay in the market for the long haul.

this would be called the law of supply and demand. Technically, its not overpriced if just one person is willing to pay the asking price or close to it. Rather, it could be said that they are out of your price range. Other than an occasional aberration, there are no more good e30's for 2k. This is just the way it is. You either need to buy a piece of shit as a starting point to throw your money into or pony up on the front end for a decent car.With few exceptions, you need to pay to play. I dont understand why every month someone has to start a thread about how e30's are overpriced. They aren't. They are just going up in value. That is all. If you think they are pricey now, just wait 5 years. The other side of the coin is that this vehicle is a damn good investment. If an e30 doesn't match the thickness of your wallet, go and buy some other car you can afford.

Op: you should be able to find a decent rust free starting point for 3-4k. If you want to save money, buy an automatic car. I would say they are worth about 20% less than a manual. Later, if you want a 5 speed, you can buy the swap parts for as little as 300.00 at a pick a part.
            Last edited by flyboyx; 06-30-2014, 01:41 PM.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Yeah I don't know why but I think Ferrari's and Porsche's are overpriced too. I've been waiting for ever to pick one up for less than $5k. Flyboy has a point.

Comment

I bought my E30 about 1.5yrs ago for $2500.00. It was auto trans sedan and 100% stock (bbs, sport seats, spoiler, side skirts) other than an aftermarket head unit. I think its worth it to find a clean auto and swap the transmission as I did.
                1991 325iA Sedan
                -Calyposorot
                -Sport Package
                -5 speed swap

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                  this would be called the law of supply and demand. Technically, its not overpriced if just one person is willing to pay the asking price or close to it. Rather, it could be said that they are out of your price range. Other than an occasional aberration, there are no more good e30's for 2k. This is just the way it is. You either need to buy a piece of shit as a starting point to throw your money into or pony up on the front end for a decent car.With few exceptions, you need to pay to play. I dont understand why every month someone has to start a thread about how e30's are overpriced. They aren't. They are just going up in value. That is all. If you think they are pricey now, just wait 5 years. The other side of the coin is that this vehicle is a damn good investment. If an e30 doesn't match the thickness of your wallet, go and buy some other car you can afford.

Op: you should be able to find a decent rust free starting point for 3-4k. If you want to save money, buy an automatic car. I would say they are worth about 20% less than a manual. Later, if you want a 5 speed, you can buy the swap parts for as little as 300.00 at a pick a part.
                  For what you get out of an E30 they are extremely over priced. Most of them have oil leaks that have gone undiagnosed for a long time. Or the transmission is absolute shit because they never had a tranny flush or they just kept grinding away on a manual. Their previous owners have treated them like shit with the few exceptions of the enthusiasts. JDM at least has a huge customizable aftermarket which supports the price of their cars in comparison to the European market. Mind you, I fucking LOVE these cars. The market should not be appreciating the way it has.

There is simply no quantifiable reason for these cars to be going up other than that it's now considered a classic. It's a new classic with thousands of other cars that get you more bang for your buck. It's just a new enthusiast pricing. The Mercedes-Benz 190e is just as good a car side by side. Hell, I'd argue that the 2.3-16 is a better car than the M3 for 1/3 of the price. Yet these are going up in value for what reason? "Drift tax" is the only retarded answer there is. Niche markets should not reflect value. However there are people who are dumb enough to actually over pay for these cars.

Mind you I would be willing to pay 3-4 grand if the car is solid with no issues and decent mileage.

You're also right about the buy automatic.
                  Last edited by e30ing; 06-30-2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Bought my car 89 325is for 700 but I had to put in a manual and a new engine well worth kept me under the 2000 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by e30ing View Post
                      For what you get out of an E30 they are extremely over priced. Most of them have oil leaks that have gone undiagnosed for a long time. Or the transmission is absolute shit because they never had a tranny flush or they just kept grinding away on a manual. Their previous owners have treated them like shit with the few exceptions of the enthusiasts. JDM at least has a huge customizable aftermarket which supports the price of their cars in comparison to the European market. Mind you, I fucking LOVE these cars. The market should not be appreciating the way it has.

There is simply no quantifiable reason for these cars to be going up other than that it's now considered a classic. It's a new classic with thousands of other cars that get you more bang for your buck. It's just a new enthusiast pricing. The Mercedes-Benz 190e is just as good a car side by side. Hell, I'd argue that the 2.3-16 is a better car than the M3 for 1/3 of the price. Yet these are going up in value for what reason? "Drift tax" is the only retarded answer there is. Niche markets should not reflect value. However there are people who are dumb enough to actually over pay for these cars.

Mind you I would be willing to pay 3-4 grand if the car is solid with no issues and decent mileage.

You're also right about the buy automatic.
                      i was just going to let this one go and let the rest of r3v rip you to shreds for your comments but....

have you ever driven an m3 or a 190e? i have driven both. i agree there is no comparison, but the 190e is a marshmallow in stock from while the m3 is state of the art technology for its time. i assume when you talk 190e, you are trying to compare the 16v cosworth? it is a good engine but then again it is wrapped around a marshmallow.

your argument about niche markets shouldn't drive values is a testament to the fact that you apparently don't have any idea how the world works. why does a house in san francisco cost 2 million dollars when the same house in detroit only costs 30k? the simple answer is that the "niche" location drives up the price. there are plenty of people in the bay area willing to pay that kind of money for such a home. supply and demand. it is simple economics. just the same, people want to buy e30 m3s and pay 30k but do not want to buy 190e's. i.e.: people want to live in san francisco and not in detroit.

i have been in this game since 2008. even back then you couldn't buy an e30 for the price you are talking with the parameters listed. your expectations simply are not realistic. if you can find a better automobile mark for less money in your opinion, you should buy that car and not waste time dreaming about cars you aren't willing to afford.

wishing the cars are cheaper so they fit into your budget/mold ideal, is nothing but that. i wish i could buy a Ferrari f40 or a 250 GTO for 20-30k because that is what i am willing to spend on one. does that mean this is the value of this car? come on! if you could just take an adult objective point of view on this, i'm pretty sure you will see your argument doesn't make any sense. if you like, i can make an example with pokemon cards or playstation systems.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                        i was just going to let this one go and let the rest of r3v rip you to shreds for your comments but....

have you ever driven an m3 or a 190e? i have driven both. i agree there is no comparison, but the 190e is a marshmallow in stock from while the m3 is state of the art technology for its time. i assume when you talk 190e, you are trying to compare the 16v cosworth? it is a good engine but then again it is wrapped around a marshmallow.

your argument about niche markets shouldn't drive values is a testament to the fact that you apparently don't have any idea how the world works. why does a house in san francisco cost 2 million dollars when the same house in detroit only costs 30k? the simple answer is that the "niche" location drives up the price. there are plenty of people in the bay area willing to pay that kind of money for such a home. supply and demand. it is simple economics. just the same, people want to buy e30 m3s and pay 30k but do not want to buy 190e's. i.e.: people want to live in san francisco and not in detroit.

i have been in this game since 2008. even back then you couldn't buy an e30 for the price you are talking with the parameters listed. your expectations simply are not realistic. if you can find a better automobile mark for less money in your opinion, you should buy that car and not waste time dreaming about cars you aren't willing to afford.

wishing the cars are cheaper so they fit into your budget/mold ideal, is nothing but that. i wish i could buy a Ferrari f40 or a 250 GTO for 20-30k because that is what i am willing to spend on one. does that mean this is the value of this car? come on! if you could just take an adult objective point of view on this, i'm pretty sure you will see your argument doesn't make any sense. if you like, i can make an example with pokemon cards or playstation systems.
                        My point for the M3/Cosworth and the E30 vs 190e is more same class of car and over engineered quality. I'm not even saying that you're wrong. What I am saying is that the total overall value, without personal feelings, is that there are better performing cars for the same amount of money. It doesn't make sense to overvalue the E30 like it has been. It's marketing and perceived value. I have a major in marketing, and when I take away all the stories and love the E30 gets from the new enthusiast crowd. It's not worth the money. You can't even deny it unless you're completely blind to other automobiles out there. I feel the exact same way about the Miata crowd. Those cars are 1500-2000$ Automobiles, but people want to be a part of a group.

Your comparison to Detroit vs San Fran is kind of silly. There are multiple reasons outside of people who just want to live there. Detroit is void of industrial jobs when at one point is was the epicenter of manufacturing in the world. It literally had its entire infrastructure gutted within a span of 30 years. Quality of living is another factor for who lives where. It's not like BMW's or Mercedes-Benz are going to stop being produced any time soon.

I have driven both. I've driven about 12 E30's in the last month and of course I test their limits.

On track, I have only driven a 2.3-16 though, that is by far the most fun I think I've had in this class of car.
                        Last edited by e30ing; 06-30-2014, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Old member with some E30 questions.

Gotta pay to play and in the e30 game, you get what you pay for. Show me your clean e30's for 4-6k. These cars are only worth what someone will pay and for clean ones, people are willing to pay good money. Trust me. I just sold mine. Supply and demand, as was mentioned in this thread earlier. To get a clean e30, expect to pay 8-9k+. They are rare and hard to come by. Anything below that is usually questionable and needing a lot of work.
                          1990 325i

Comment

Like said above, it's supply and demand, somebody will charge/alter a price until it sells. The way "overpriced" is being used here is a subjective opinion, and doesn't have anything to do with economics. Basically, you may say that the e30 doesn't merit its value, but the market (and enthusiast market) says otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by tylernaugle View Post
                              Bought my car 89 325is for 700 but I had to put in a manual and a new engine well worth kept me under the 4000 mark.

Comment

Working...
                              X