Trunk lock (lock issues in general)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk lock (lock issues in general)...

I'm sure this has beaten to the ground, but I can't seem to find an answer when searching. Planning on installing keyless entry on my friends car, so I don't really need the tumblers for drivers or passenger side to work right now.

The issue I'm having is when you try to lock or unlock the car from the trunk, I turn the key and the doors lock, then quickly unlock right after. All doors & trunks seem to do this, so the car cannot be 'locked' at the moment.

I've replaced actuators before, but before I go doing that, I'm trying to see if anyone out there has had this issue, and found a solution before I start swapping out actuators.
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Yep, I would unlock (from anywhere) and they would quickly re-lock. Sometimes it would cycle a bunch of times and I could time it to open the door ;) I lived with it a long time, then my trunk actuator gave out. replaced the trunk actuator and the gremlin was gone. You may have a bad actuator.
    '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
    '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
    '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Mine did the same thing but I didn't care.

Comment

Heres the basics: The actuator has 2 sensors in it to tell the central locking system to either lock or unlock. There are 3 of them in an E30, that would be the 2 (front) doors and the trunk.

The reason the actuators in those locations have 5 wires instead of 2 BTW.

If the actuator does not move sufficiently for whatever reason and the contact to the CLS is incorrect, it will do just as you say and "re-lock" or "re-unlock" depending on the condition of all three actuators.

Sticky or misadjusted actuators are a common issue, as is a bad central lock module.

If a particular door does not lock or unlock the system, it is because the sensors (contacts, whatever) are sending an incorrect signal, or not sending one at all.

So, what this comes down to is make sure the actuators send signal out when they are supposed to, and make sure they are properly adjusted.

So, the next thing you are gonna say is "how do I tell if they are properly adjusted?"

Aim for the center of the travel of the lock actuator itself, not the mounting slot. Test by locking and unlocking the system, but only do a few cycles as it is rough to keep cycling them.

If you arent sure how to test them electrically, hit me up, maybe I can help.

GL!
        Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

awesome thanks guys! I'm going to try messing w the actuators first before anything else!
          www.instagram.com/snwmble
          #snwmble

Current:
          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

I'm having the same issue with mine, lock from the rear and it locks all doors but the drivers front(4 door) then the system unlocks again. I cannot lock the drivers door when inside with the door closed, so I am thinking it is has been:
            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
            ~ '87 535
            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Working...
            X