Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 E36 Diff Swap, BMW parts numbers

Hey guys! Thanks for reading.

I was reading through the Pelican Parts article about the E30 differential swap. It said that the instructions apply to the 1995-1999 318ti as well.

1. Does this imply that an E36 differential would fit an E30? This is more of a query of how the article was written.

2. I tried matching up parts numbers to verify fitment, when I came across the difference in case sizes, and realized that that wouldn't help me. So what I now know is, that the 318ti's use a small case, so will the outputs to the half-shafts and the input line up?

3. If there's a write-up on this (that I clearly haven't found yet because of my weak Google-fu), please link me. I'd really appreciate it!

318ti E36's ran a 168mm small case diff as opposed to the 188mm diffs found in the e30/e36 325/328 cars.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

A medium case from an E30 will fit in a 318ti too. I'm trying to remember I think that you cannot use E30 axles from a medium diff on a small diff. But the other way around worked? Someone confirm.
      Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

i just put an e30 diff in my 318ti, you use the medium case diff and axles

if your trying to put a 318ti diff in an e30, dont, they're garbage
        IG: haggardfab

Comment

No, they (e36 318ti lsd's) aren't garbage. In fact, to the right application they are the creme de la creme.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Stock TI is 3.45 in a 5spd. It's a small case diff, same as 318 E30s. The 6cyl E30s use medium case diffs and they will bolt up to the ti. E28 diffs will also work but you need a cover from an E30 med diff. E28 had a 3.25 ratio which would be better for highway w/o killing acceleration.

Comment

Don't forget the flanges need to be swapped.

Comment

Working...
              X