No announcement yet.

First Car, 318is or 325i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say the 318is. Mostly because it is an "IS". You can always do a motor swap down the road if you want more power.
    Current
    99 328i (Sold)
    91 318is M50B25TU
    89 325ix (Parted out)
    87 325is (Parted out)
    95 525i (Parted Motor for 91 318is)

Comment

Condition is key of course, but if all three were in equal condition the 87 with euro bumpers would be my choice.

Comment

I'd go with a 318is, but then again, I'm partial due to owning one. The M42 engine is fine with me, but then again I'm not the type to "hoon" around anyway. Any E30 is still an E30 so best of luck on the hunt for a good one!
        sigpic
        1991 318is Alpinweiß II M42

2013 VW Golf R Candy White

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers."

Comment

328is. Because you will r3v your first car, and an E36 is RWD enough to learn and meh enough that no one will care if you r3v it.
          1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
          2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
          2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

Originally posted by ravenlord89 View Post
            328is. Because you will r3v your first car, and an e36 is rwd enough to learn and meh enough that no one will care if you r3v it.
            +1

They are also cheaper, and if you don't r3v it, you might have it long enough for it to appreciate a little bit
            Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
            A Topless Memorandum

Comment

My first car was a 84 318, so I can only comment on the older beast of a m10. It was great- and great gas mileage too. Not exactly fast but who cares.

In the end you will probably want a 5-speed 6-cyl vert, so keep that in mind. Your euro bumper option is nice- we dont have those in the states.

The 4cyl will be too slow~ 90hp could barely make it up my hill in 3rd gear. The autotragic will be too slow. Then eventually you will be so hot, because the a/c probably doesnt work, that you will wish you could take the top off.

That has been my experience anyway. I can't comment on upgrade/laws in Australia, but around here we can drive and do just about anything as long as its old and rusty enough.

Comment

318is in e30 or e36 form. I think I'd rather have the e36 with the m44 honestly. Your first car doesn't need to be fast and if there's an accident I'd rather be in an e36.
                My Feedback

Comment

^no the m44 is way underpowered in the e36 chasis
                  Originally posted by blunttech
                  Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                  :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by C.Lanph View Post
                    Just depends on your preference. 318is is a great car for cruising, great gas mileage because of the 4-banger, all around great car. 325is is little faster so like I said its all about preference. If you go the 325 route definitely get a late model (88-92) they look way better because of the plastic bumpers. You can't go wrong with either though bother are fantastic cars. Good luck finding one!
                    What are you smoking, bro? DIVING BOARDS! That is all! ;D
                    Estoguy
                    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

The dont have diving boards in aussieland. Its going to either have plastics or euros
                      Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                      :shock:

Comment

Well then, they are missing out on the awesomeness of diving boards! LOL
                        Estoguy
                        1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

The condition of the body is everything, so I'd go for the cleaner car regardless of engine.......you can always M60 it after! :)

Comment

325iS
                            so true.. never let them know where you live..I almost ended up in jail when I was raping young women on craigslist

Comment

Did AUS get the M42 in a sedan? If so that would be a good option, as I you still get the decent M42 and you get a lower entry cost with a sedan.

Comment

318is. Fantastic mileage, and decently quick with a chip.

Comment

Working...
                                X