No announcement yet.

Rescuing a touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take it from someone whos just a few steps ahead of you, get ready for rust.

I bought an 89 325iX touring locally thinking it was just gonna be a "fix the front end and repaint"

i peeked under the carpet and fainted. I have holes in both front footwells that are invisible from outside.

Oh and in prepping for paint i took the iX fenderflares off....both rear fenders are rusted along the bottom lip under the flare.

I hope your hatch is in a better shape than mine too. What looked like bubbling and stuff was a real mess once i took the license plate cover off.

Just be warned....

My bodyshop retired guy basically said "noooope" to all the rust repair once we dug in and found it all.

So as soon as i get the new house in order in a week or two, the car hoist installed, the e30's coming home where i'll take the time to patch in good metal.

Nothing like owning a car since November and literally just driving it for 2 min when i bought it.

Comment

Rescuing a touring

The hatch is rough on mine to, and I know the front corners of the floor has rust/holes...it's going to be a slow project...I probably won't paint it until the fall. I got it today. Mechanically it seems pretty good. 197k Km's on it. It's all red now at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
      1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
      Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

so sweet.

I don't know of any other tourings in Ottawa, I think you're the only one.

are you scooping up those seats from Missisauga?
        Originally posted by flyboyx
        i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post

are you scooping up those seats from Missisauga?
          They would be perfect for it....sent him a message to see if he'd meet me half way.
          sigpic
          Rescued 1986 325e Coupe

Comment

Paints coming back to life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            sigpic
            Rescued 1986 325e Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
              If you drive that in Canadian winters, you're gonna be rescuing it again in a few years.
              I've been daily driving mine through snow and salt for 4 years now - as long as you wash it religiously it should stay almost rust free.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasonbk View Post
                I've been daily driving mine through snow and salt for 4 years now - as long as you wash it religiously it should stay almost rust free.
                Some people say the opposite, that less washing is better in the winter...who knows..
                sigpic
                Rescued 1986 325e Coupe

Comment

I actually talked to the gentleman that owned this,looked in to buying it.. Don't know of an touring IX in the US! Didn't know it was rear ended ..glad I didn't go for it

But really,good luck,and keep us posted!
                  NASA
                  BMWCCA member
                  PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                  1997 M3 sedan
                  2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Originally posted by e30s50dan View Post
                    I actually talked to the gentleman that owned this,looked in to buying it.. Don't know of an touring IX in the US! Didn't know it was rear ended ..glad I didn't go for it

But really,good luck,and keep us posted!
                    When did you talk to him? This one wasn't posted for sale anywhere. I know there is a few in Canada.
                    sigpic
                    Rescued 1986 325e Coupe

Comment

If you can keep it dry (i.e not driving on salt + snow), then less washing would be better for rust. If you drive on salty slush, it's best when you wash it right afterwards. Luckily my apartment had a indoor washing bay - so I could wash underbody every time I drove on salty snow.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X