Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exotic car tech school,or stick wiht college?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exotic car tech school,or stick wiht college?

I have recently been thinking of what to pursue in my future after HS, and Ive been leaning towards econ,finance, business, and so on. But I really wanna do something that I like. Working on cars has always been fun to me, but I want to make some money while doing it. Ive thought of going to like a BMW or Porsche tech school. Why just work on ordinary cars? Im caught now, and i dont know what to decide. How much could I make doing sometihng in econ, vs. being a porsche tech? any suggestions? Im 18 and still have alot to learn. Also, what car schools are out there?

Learn what you like to do,

don´t be 55years old and still dreaming you where a BMW mechanic or a Porsche mechanic

so many people don´t pick what they want to do but pick what will make them more money in the end run,,

there is a diffrence between loving your work and liking your work
    choose the one where you will love to go to work every morning
    Gunni
    @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

If you want to work on cars be a mechanic, there is plenty of money and opportunity in it. All my friends who went to Wyotech got hired on the spot for alot of money.

07 335xi Sport
      00 S2k
      01 A4 1.8t-Sold
      88 M3-Sold
      91 325iC-Totaled
      89 325iS - Sold
      87 325-Totaled

Comment

first off to get into Porsche tech school,you have to know your shit i mean really know your shit.that school is hard to get into. harder than the bmw step program. to get into the tech school you must go to post secondary automotive school. and be above all of your classmates.they have strict rules that apply for you to get a scholorship into there tech school. other way to get in, get a job at a dealership, bmw or porsche tell them that you are serious and want to become a certified tech,they may consider it and might sponser you into the program...dont think it will happen right away it will take time.

apply at a bmw dealership near you and beocme a D-tech or car porter and talk to a bunch of the techs there, they will help you out and give you more information......but trying to get a job at a dealership is hard as shit! will take time to....

Comment

Just keep in mind that most of these mechanic jobs are not a galmorous in the long run as they sound. I have a friend who spewed all the shit he learned that day at the drop of a hat the first year and makes a shit load for a 23 year old but now after a few years is getting tired of the same old and being dirty.

Unless you got on some sort of factory racing team or worked for some sort of tuner you wouldnt be learning new stuff or innovating everyday, more likely changing the tranny fluid in some douchebags 996 while he lectures you on how to not stain his leather floormats. :roll:
          Im now E30less.
          sigpic

Comment

one thing no one has mentioned is the opportunity for change with a college education. I mean if you're a trained mechanic, what are you qualified for, other than working on cars? What happens when you lose interest in cars?
            BEERTECH

Comment

Why not study mechanical engineering and then go into automotives on that side of things. My friend has always wanted to be a mechanic but he's studying mechanical engineering technology then possibly going to an automotive tech school. He wants to move to europe and join a racing team. Engineering will leave a lot more options open for you in the long run.

"One of my top five favorite, like, cool...nerd cars"

'89 325i-sold
              '98 528i

Comment

after working for a dealership and seeing what dick head manager i had.im thinking of taking the auto tech class for personal reference and persue soemthing else...computer or bank wise...it seems good now until you start doing it 24-7. if your serious about it and get doen with thech school and get out ,by the time your 26 or so you may make bank
                Unless you got on some sort of factory racing team or worked for some sort of tuner you wouldnt be learning new stuff or innovating everyday, more likely changing the tranny fluid in some douchebags 996 while he lectures you on how to not stain his leather floormats.
                true that.

one thing no one has mentioned is the opportunity for change with a college education. I mean if you're a trained mechanic, what are you qualified for, other than working on cars? What happens when you lose interest in cars?
                become a service writer..the make good money from what i heard..$60,000+ a year...correct me if im wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Purdue89E30
                  Why not study mechanical engineering and then go into automotives on that side of things. My friend has always wanted to be a mechanic but he's studying mechanical engineering technology then possibly going to an automotive tech school. He wants to move to europe and join a racing team. Engineering will leave a lot more options open for you in the long run.
                  Thats my plan :up:
                  Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by Purdue89E30

I plan on studying engineering as well. Leaves so many options open.
                    - Sean Hayes

Comment

Engineering is way cool. So many options.

Comment

all this engineering stuff sounds like a good idea, what he hell was I thinking when I decided to do art?

Comment

Engineering is cool. Engineers are nerds.
                          Originally posted by Gruelius
                          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                            Engineering is cool. Engineers are nerds.
                            Bill Gates is a nerd

Comment

Chris is a nerd.
                              BEERTECH

Comment

Working...
                              X