important question...for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

important question...for me

im really new to the BMW thing and dont know alot...but i do know i wan to buy an E30. i have heard that 87s and 89s are good ones to buy but now for the questions

1. what is the difference between the 318 and the 325

2. and what about the letters ( none, es, is, ect.)

3. are the 87s and 89s any different from say an 86 or an 88

4. can the motors hold up to forced induction without having to do any major work to the motor

I guess thats it i would appriciate any help i can get

-THANKS

http://strictlyeta.net/
    this should help.
    Yours truly,
    Rich
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Rigmaster
    you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

perfect thanx bro

Comment

yeah.. long time been on that site though.

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

Aww I love explaining e30's to people that dont know.

318i and 318is = 1.8 liter inline 4. 325 and 325e and 325es = 2.7 liter inline 6, 121hp.
          325i and 325is = 2.5 liter inline 6, 168hp. S is simply the sport model. Limited slip differential, sport seats, spoiler, etc. In 1988 the rear end was redesigned with different taillights and fender arches but the aluminum bumpers still remained. In 1989 the bumpers were changed to body colored plastic. If you are looking for the best non-m, american e30, it would probably be an 1989 325is. It will have the plastic bumpers, ellipsoid headlights and no airbag.

Comment

Originally posted by h0lmes
            Aww I love explaining e30's to people that dont know.

318i and 318is = 1.8 liter inline 4. 325 and 325e and 325es = 2.7 liter inline 6, 121hp.
            325i and 325is = 2.5 liter inline 6, 168hp. S is simply the sport model. Limited slip differential, sport seats, spoiler, etc. In 1988 the rear end was redesigned with different taillights and fender arches but the aluminum bumpers still remained. In 1989 the bumpers were changed to body colored plastic. If you are looking for the best non-m, american e30, it would probably be an 1989 325is. It will have the plastic bumpers, ellipsoid headlights and no airbag.
            To add to that:

the 84-85 was the M10 (4 banger) engine with 101 hp (generally regarded as the slowest E30 you can get). These models were called the 318i in 2-door or 4-door trim.

Now...from 90-91 was the M42 inline 4 with 134 hp. These E30's had a short run, so these are more rare than your 325e/325i. This was the most advanced engine to sit in an E30 from the factory.
            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383
              This was the most advanced engine to sit in an E30 from the factory.
              BOOM M42 is the best engine you can get in a stock e30. Also the m10 is not as bad as everyone seems to think it just has no balls. Very light and bulletproof.

[/URL]

Comment

the 84-85 was the M10 (4 banger) engine with 101 hp (generally regarded as the slowest E30 you can get).
                europe did get a carbed version of that motor, was called a 316 but was same size as the 318i, even slower though.

Comment

Originally posted by Borat
                  europe did get a carbed version of that motor, was called a 316 but was same size as the 318i, even slower though.
                  i meant the U.S. market...but yeh the 316i was garbage
                  IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

i meant the U.S. market...but yeh the 316i was garbage

Had the misfortune of driving a 316i in Italy. It was pretty fucking slow, but still a lot faster than the Fiat 125 I was driving in Poland. To put that shit in perspective, 51 HP of unbridled fury in a 3200 lb boat with manual everything (steering and brakes too).

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Another thing to add about 88 models: Swapping to the 89 up plastic bumpers is a bolt-on deal with the toughest part being cutting off the front turn signal plugs and connecting the plugs from the 90 up. 87 and earlier models require quite a bit of work to make the swap look decent due to the different rear wheel arches.

A little note about the 90 up 318 with the M42 engine. You won't get any help with that engine from the E30 Bentley manual which is otherwise the do it yourself bible...

Comment

This was the most advanced engine to sit in an E30 from the factory.
                        those funny , funny 318 owners...lol
                        90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

Originally posted by german g
                          those funny , funny 318 owners...lol
                          Ahh those ignorant 325 owners... they say ignorance is bliss, :D

[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by haledj
                            Ahh those ignorant 325 owners... they say ignorance is bliss, :D
                            and denial is the key to ignorance;)
                            90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

Originally posted by haledj
                              BOOM M42 is the best engine you can get in a stock e30. .
                              Unless you like things to actually happen when you step on the pedal.

S14 & M20b25 owners tend to appreciate those traits.

-Charlie
                              Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                              '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                              FYYFF

Comment

Working...
                              X