Going Down the Rabbit Hole - Multiple E30s Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Down the Rabbit Hole - Multiple E30s Edition

What's up everyone, I am relatively new here, so I wanted to do an intro of sorts. I'm a long time BMW guy, fell in love with the E36 M3 when I was young, and then my obsession grew bigtime when the E46 M3 came out while I was still in college. I've been on M3Forum for a loooong time, OG over there, but I'm new here. Over the years, of course, I've also grown to love the E30, so I've recently made my first 2 purchases.

So my goal for some time now has been to grow my BMW collection, with really enjoyable cars, and the ultimate goal is to have an M3 from each generation. However, with the E30 M3 prices having increased to astronomical levels, it's going to have to wait until I make my first million or win the lottery and I can afford to just splurge and not think about it. BUT, that hasn't stopped me from wanting an E30 badly for some time now, given what an incredible driver's car they really are.

There's a pretty good community of BMW guys down here in New Orleans, and a few of them are absolute E30 NUTS, mechanics, etc. Very cool, tons to learn from them. Sparing you guys the details, a friend down here found what was essentially the cleanest, best-shape example of an E30 he's ever seen, owned by some old lady, barely driven. After he bought it and refreshed a few things (suspension, wheels, intake, hoses), the car eventually ended up in my possession. It's an AW 1991 318 with the original M42 engine (not that great an engine, I know). Here's the car as it currently sits:

Now that it's been added to my collection, I'm buying a new exhaust for the car, as well as a few other minor things here and there including a new antenna, maybe some new floor mats. I've also replaced all spark plugs, new spark plug wires, brand new fuel injectors (shipped and on the way as we speak), a few gaskets, etc. Car is really spotless other than that. Was planning on this being my only E30 for a while.

BUT THEN.....

I ran across 1991 318is in Brilliantrot with a swapped M50b25 engine with a great deal on it in Connecticut (Rich, who listed it here on the forum just a few weeks ago) , and I just couldn't resist, so as of a week ago, I now have 2 E30s. lol. Here are the specs on the 318is as it stands right now (just pulled from the for sale thread):

Engine + Drivetrain:
    1992 M50 non-vanos 24 valve
    Supersprint replica headers
    2.5'' exhaust with resonators
    Vibrant single in/out muffler
    M20 325i/s lightened flywheel
    M20 325i/s Sachs clutch
    Euro 323i TOB
    E34 525 oil pan
    Delrin shift bushings
    E36 325i driveshaft
    4.10 LSD
    E21 320i trans mounts
    E28 535i motor mounts
    SPAL electric fan
    Intercooler installed, was intended for future turbo setup

Suspension + Steering:
    JOM adjustable coilover shocks/springs
    Stock brakes
    E21 Brake booster
    Steering rack replaced within last few years

Interior:
    Leather M-tech I steering wheel
    Stock 318is black vinyl sport seats
    Perfect glove box
    Old timey crank-sunroof
    ZHP weighted shift knob
    M3 black floor mats
    Alpine CDE-102 with aux and iPhone cable
    Stereo pre-wired to trunk for amp/sub setup if desired
    Black dyed carpet (original 318is carpet)
    Hot heat
    No AC

Body:
    All original panels except the hood
    Driver fender needs replacing (treated lower portion with rust converter)
    Passenger lower fender starting to rust

Other:
    Race Skids M50 skid plate
    New K&N filter just installed
    New BEHR 318is radiator/expansion tank
    New Bosch starter
    Depo Euro Ellips
    OEM Euro Grills
    iS front spoiler

Both cars came with all service records, and all original books, which is pretty cool.

Here are the current photos of the 318is (not my photos, they were taken by Rich before it arrived here in New Orleans):

The issues with the iS are:
    Head gasket on the engine is blown.
    The rust on driver's side front fender and a little bit beginning on the pass side (both treated).

Plans I currently have for the 318is:
    Exterior:
    Will buy brand new driver's side and pass side fenders (OEM), paint, and replace the current ones. Everything else is in great shape, so I will keep a close eye on it, but as of now, I don't think I should have major rust issues, especially now that the car is down south here. Body, frame, all other important areas are rust-free.

Wheels:
    Will do 5 stud conversion, and then I have to decide on wheels. Haven't fully decided on a set yet. Want to keep it looking beautiful and classy, nothing outrageous. Still mulling this one.

Engine:
    Originally, I was just going to replace the head gasket. However, I was able to get my hands on a recently refreshed M50B25TU engine that has had EVERYTHING checked and refreshed on it (all gaskets including HG, everything), as well as a new water pump, all done by a trusted friend and E30 enthusiast. So, I've bought that engine, and am planning to buy a set of S50 or S52 cams to swap into that engine, then pull my current M50 engine out and throw that one in. The benefit of the TU is obv that it has VANOS and allows you to swap in the S50 cams, which will give it even more power. I'm really excited about having over 235hp in this tiny car. It already sounds and drives outstanding, once I've got that done, it should fly.
    I also got a new power steering reservoir (known to leak on these cars) and hoses, as well as a new oil filter housing assembly and all related gaskets. That way, once I drop in the new engine, essentially the entire engine bay will be refreshed and brand new. Oh, and I'm swapping out the radiator too. All this should be done later this year.

Interior:
    Just bought brand new OEM sport seats to replace both front seats, which are basically worn out and mechanically not in good shape anymore (won't hold recline positions, etc). Those are set to arrive next week.

Overall, very excited to see where this project will go with both cars, absolutely love them.

Next: looking for an un-molested, low mileage E36 M3 to add to the collection at some point.

I'm excited to be on the forum and read up and learn a ton more, of course. And I've been on the r3v FB page for a while too. Thanks guys!

Dan
    1991 318is Brilliantrot w/M50b25 swap /// 1991 318 AW /// 2006 M3 Mystic Blue /// 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Red

Welcome to r3v, glad to have you on board! AW and Brilliantrot are always beautiful and seem to be go to colors for many E30 die hards! Nice to see another E36 M3'er every once in a while too!
    C6Z
    S2K
    VeloN

Comment

Nice rides! Great colors. Any tips on the OEM sport seats? Where can you find those?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X