Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe to autox on gone subframe bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe to autox on gone subframe bushings?

Hi guys, I just lowered the car on bilstein sports and H&R race springs. There's an autox tommorow, roughly 5-10 runs. The car has collapsed engine mounts and literally gone subframe bushings. Will the car be ok on the autox? I've taken the car out there for 20-30 runs 2 months ago w/o the new suspension and worn parts. Just wondering if it's still ok.

I have the new parts to put in just waiting till a friend has time to help me install them :).
    Vancouver Portrait Photographer

E30 M3 Wallpapers

It might be ok, but you might not pass tech, and it could be dangerous. Personally I'd wait till I had the chance to replace 'em.

Comment

What is dangerous and how. The engine mounts or the subframe bushings?

E30 M3 Wallpapers

Comment

Well, the engine will slide foward pushing the spinning fan into your radiator fucking it up, the engine will shift right and left destroying your likely fucked up tranny mounts causing a misshift, and the passive rear wheel steering caused by the gone mounts and bushings might cause you to have an off (hopefully only into a lightpole).

Otherwise, yes, its a great idea to engage in a sporting event that is stressful on good cars, let alone your poorly maintained heap.

You can get a set of bushings for the cost of an auto-x, skip the next couple and save up to make your car less of a deathtrap.
        Im now E30less.
        sigpic

Comment

Ok sounds good!

E30 M3 Wallpapers

Comment

This is bad I know but... I hadn't changed my engine/tranny mounts yet because they were go in with a newer engine in better shape than mine. Suprisingly enough... when I pulled the engine I found that both motor mounts and both tranny mounts were broken. How long had they been broken? I dont know but I have been autox-ing for a while. The fan had gotten into the fins on the radiator a little bit but not enough to do any "real" damage thank god. You are really best changing the motor/tranny mounts before you autox.

Will
            RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
            Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
            DaveCN = Old Man
            My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
            If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Having seeen firsthand how shitty these mounts really are, I think before I ever Auto-X (like that is ever gonna happen anyway) I would do Eurethane MM and TM's.

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I autoxed with destroyed engine mounts and no subframe bushings, unknowingly, for months. No ill effects as far as I can see.

'88 325is
                VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Working...
                X