Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALPINA Experts Wanted for research thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALPINA Experts Wanted for research thread.

I have seen and myself part of a few E30 Alpina clones lately, and think it's time we get an end all/be all thread that culls all this info together.

There is a cubic ton of information out there, but I want to get it all together and organized so everyone has a single reference point.

The Alpina archive(s)/registry is a great source, but it is lacking A LOT of information, and has several holes in it's listings.

So if you have or are involved with a restoration/clone/copy..etc. and can PM me, I am going to start building this thread for sticky somewhere on this site.
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

:)

Great idea: I have been thinking about building a b6 clone...have to sell the m-tech first;so this would be just what I need!
    jm

Comment

I'm a research whore, so I have tons of documents/pics..etc that I culled from multiple sources, and getting an increasing stack of parts (including a full extended tank setup) and figured it's time to get this stuff all together..

Think if we can get it all in one place and help others out..
      2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I am building two. B6 3.5 and a South African 333i tribute. I have a plethora of parts for my builds and I am cutting original style stripes on my plotter.
        sigpic

Comment

if i have a question about alpina that no one can answer, i call susan @ ksk. she has always been very helpful.

check out the cars in my signature, i have it out there that i am also building a tribute.

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
          I am building two. B6 3.5 and a South African 333i tribute. I have a plethora of parts for my builds and I am cutting original style stripes on my plotter.

there are really good quality reproduction stripes already available all over the internet for about a hundred bucks in more colors than you could imagine.
          Last edited by flyboyx; 06-04-2016, 05:52 AM.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

i'll help. Here's my C2 clone

8)

'87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

My B6 3.5 clone. Still got some parts to collect and add but shes slowly coming along.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Great guys!

I am trying to get all the info I have in to logical form and something easily understandable..

My initial thought is to arrange it by year/model changes and options.

Then maybe addressing each area.

Also have a comprehensive db of chassis numbers (duplicated somewhat of the Alpina registry but with more info in regards to current status and more pics) but also want to maybe keep track of clone numbers. This way those building clones can choose the number they use a little easier..

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                  Great guys!

I am trying to get all the info I have in to logical form and something easily understandable..

My initial thought is to arrange it by year/model changes and options.

Then maybe addressing each area.

Also have a comprehensive db of chassis numbers (duplicated somewhat of the Alpina registry but with more info in regards to current status and more pics) but also want to maybe keep track of clone numbers. This way those building clones can choose the number they use a little easier..

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
                  I despise the idea of choosing a number alpina already issued. This seems dishonest to me. Also, there is a chance that you might be driving around in your car that you numbered at say 101, then a year or two down the road someone pulls that car out of a barn.

In the case of the b6-3.5s, I believe they built 62 of them. I think Choosing a number higher than the last car alpina issued for that particular model would be more acceptable and less likely to look like a fraud.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Goes without saying but please correct me if I'm wrong

All Alpinas had:
                    Alpina modified engine
                    BMW VIN Plate Crossed out (or was it deleted?)
                    Alpina VIN on Strut tower
                    Alpina wheels (16x7, 7.5, 8 - what cars had which size?)

All Later (what date?) Alpinas had:
                    Alpina model emblems on front grille and rear trunk
                    Alpina emblem on trunk
                    Alpina plaque on center console under HVAC panel
                    Alpina plaque in engine bay above right headlight cover
                    Alpina Castrol Oil sticker in engine bay (where exactly?)
                    Alpina sticker on trunk tool kit
                    Steering wheel early had 4 spoke steel spokes, late had 3/4 leather wrapped spokes.
                    Foot rest
                    Instrument cluster with grey trim, Alpina badging and red needles
                    Front & Rear spoiler
                    Exhaust (whats the specs on the Exhaust?)
                    Exhaust manifold (what's the specs on the manifolds?)
                    Alpina Tire Pressure sticker on DS door opening
                    Shocks/Springs/Swaybars (what's the specs on these pieces? e.g., shock rate, spring height/rate, swaybar thickness?)
                    Upgraded DME/Chip

Optional:
                    Wood Shift knob - rosewood or palisander for MT What kinda wood for AT?
                    Wood trim (what kinda wood)
                    Exterior Deko stripes (bumper lip & sides)
                    Alpina Cloth Recaro seats (Sports seats never were covered in Alpina cloth)
                    Alpina Cloth Door panels
                    Big brakes (what size? fronts only?)
                    Vent Gauge (manifold pressure, diff oil temp, engine oil temp/pressure)
                    Floor mats (2 kinds: Alpina logo repeat on Green or alpina stripe - when was the switch?)
                    Rear mud flaps (Stated they fit only early, but fits all years according to Mel Abrahams)
                    Cat (some models)
                    Extra Gas tank for extended range

Questions:
                    Did all alpinas have standard sports seats in leather? (was comfort and/or vinyl an option?)
                    Were Alpina valve covers painted black with polished BMW lettering and stripes? How about the Intake Manifold?
                    What models had the 3 and what had the 4 spoke leather wrapped steering wheel?

Notes:
                    The green tach stripe that people call Alpina stripe is not Alpina E30 correct.
                    Last edited by Rev Run D; 06-06-2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Neat NLA parts I found doing research:

Alpina illuminated key battery

Alpina Recaro Child seat

Comment

Originally posted by Rev Run D View Post
                        Goes without saying but please correct me if I'm wrong

All Alpinas had:
                        Alpina modified engine
                        BMW VIN Plate Crossed out (or was it deleted?)
                        Alpina VIN on Strut tower
                        Alpina model emblems on front grille and rear trunk
                        Alpina emblem on trunk
                        Alpina plaque on center console under HVAC panel
                        Alpina plaque in engine bay above right headlight cover
                        Alpina Castrol Oil sticker in engine bay (where exactly?)
                        Alpina sticker on trunk tool kit
                        Steering wheel early had 4 spoke steel spokes, late had 3/4 leather wrapped spokes.
                        Foot rest
                        Instrument cluster with grey trim, Alpina badging and red needles
                        Front & Rear spoiler
                        Soft line wheels (16x7, 7.5, 8 - what cars had which size?)
                        Exhaust (whats the specs on the Exhaust?)
                        Exhaust manifold (what's the specs on the manifolds?)
                        Alpina Tire Pressure sticker on DS door opening
                        Shocks/Springs/Swaybars (what's the specs on these pieces? e.g., shock rate, spring height/rate, swaybar thickness?)
                        Upgraded DME/Chip

Optional:
                        Wood Shift knob - rosewood or palisander for MT What kinda wood for AT?
                        Wood trim (what kinda wood)
                        Exterior Deko stripes (bumper lip & sides)
                        Alpina Cloth Recaro seats (Sports seats never were covered in Alpina cloth)
                        Alpina Cloth Door panels
                        Big brakes (what size? fronts only?)
                        Vent Gauge (manifold pressure, diff oil temp, engine oil temp/pressure)
                        Floor mats (2 kinds: Alpina logo repeat on Green or alpina stripe - when was the switch?)
                        Rear mud flaps (Stated they fit only early, but fits all years according to Mel Abrahams)
                        Cat (some models)
                        Extra Gas tank for extended range

Questions:
                        Did all alpinas have standard sports seats in leather? (was comfort and/or vinyl an option?)
                        Were all Alpina valve covers painted black with polished BMW lettering and stripes? How about the Intake Manifold?
                        What models had the 3 and what had the 4 spoke leather wrapped steering wheel?
                        The green tach stripe that people call Alpina stripe, I've never seen one on an Alpina what gives?
                        You have a lot of partial truths in the first half of your entry. I don't know if it's possible to say "all Alpinas had" anything except maybe a set of wheels. The earliest cars had an unrecognizable front valance some engine mods and alpina wheels. That was about it.

Original wheels are certainly not soft line. If you see wheels like those on the car in my sig, they are kopi copies or perhaps late style e36 wheels.

Later cars that came from the alpina factory were generally pretty loaded up with their mods but this depended solely on whoever ordered the car and how deep their wallet was.

The seats could have been bone stock sports or they could have been the optional euro recaro ls-c. The recaros could have had alpina cloth or perhaps leather with a blue and green stripe.

As to the dash cluster green stripe you mention, it is an aftermarket bullshit mod. E21's had that stripe. Someone just thought it was a good idea to modify a sticker to spruce up e30 clusters. I think it's cool but certainly not original. It won't have any place on my build.
                        Last edited by flyboyx; 06-06-2016, 10:04 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                          I despise the idea of choosing a number alpina already issued. This seems dishonest to me. Also, there is a chance that you might be driving around in your car that you numbered at say 101, then a year or two down the road someone pulls that car out of a barn.

In the case of the b6-3.5s, I believe they built 62 of them. I think Choosing a number higher than the last car alpina issued for that particular model would be more acceptable and less likely to look like a fraud.
                          This is why I wanted to create a db of the numbers, so people could chose numbers outside the system.

My own clone, I ended up just using the last few digits of the vin anyways - it just happened to work out.

I agree - trying to pass off a clone as anything but is wrong. That being said, properly done clones can command a decent premium, especially if you use authentic parts to build it.

Also, I found out from other Alpina historians, there's a makers mark so to say on various parts of the engine to identify a real Alpina power plant. I am waiting for confirmation on the variations and it's probably something I won't include - just to keep forgeries from happening.

..also, Alpina would sell the C-pack early on which was most everything but the engine so you could in essence build your own "clone" using the real stuff. I have a pricelist from the era that includes all the options.
                          2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                            You have a lot of partial truths in the first half of your entry. I don't know if it's possible to say "all Alpinas had" anything except maybe a set of wheels. The earliest cars had an unrecognizable front valance some engine mods and alpina wheels. That was about it.

Original wheels are certainly not soft line. If you see wheels like those on the car in my sig, they are kopi copies or perhaps late style e36 wheels.

Later cars that came from the alpina factory were generally pretty loaded up with their mods but this depended solely on whoever ordered the car and how deep their wallet was.

The seats could have been bone stock sports or they could have been the optional euro recaro ls-c. The recaros could have had alpina cloth or perhaps leather with a blue and green stripe.

As to the dash cluster green stripe you mention, it is an aftermarket bullshit mod. E21's had that stripe. Someone just thought it was a good idea to modify a sticker to spruce up e30 clusters. I think it's cool but certainly not original. It won't have any place on my build.
                            Thanks for the info! Lemme edit my post

Comment

In the past I have had a few Alpina B6 2.8 e21 and a Alpina B6 2.8 e30. Also a US spec Alpina 345i. I might have some info about Alpina cars. If you want to contact me just pm me.
                              Last edited by e30m3s54turbo; 06-06-2016, 04:05 PM.
                              Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X