No announcement yet.

Buying an E30 as a Teenager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't recommend an e30 as a teenager's first car unless it was a beat up, but still mechanically sound early model. An early model sedan would be ideal, preferably a '86-'87 since they have ABS. I'd definitely recommend an e36 over an e30 for a first car since they're a bit safer and a good example could be found for less than $3000. As has been stated, it's likely you will experience some mishap with your first car, and I'd bet you'd feel a lot worse if something bad happened to a clean late model as opposed to some beat e36.
    My Feedback

Comment

Long time follower, recent member, and first post here since becoming an E30 owner:

I'm young enough to remember what it was like to think I knew what was best and also have that intrinsic desire to get what I wanted at that moment; however, I am also old enough to have experienced the aforementioned wisdom that others have kindly shared. Furthermore, as evident per this thread, there are many options and there is no right option. Having said that, I would take what many people have said to heart, because they speak from experience.

To echo what has been said, definitely do not go for the Porsche. Also, I know you love the E30 and probably (like I did for many years) dreamt about owning one. But, if it is your only car, while very possible to own a reliable example, it isn't quite what you would want for your daily car (at least IMO). Maybe hop up a generation to the E36 or potentially even entertain notoriously reliable/affordable Japanese models to ease your way into owning a car, fixing the car, and potentially making mistakes (but let's hope not). I began on a 15 year old Volvo before eventually working my way up to now owning a reliable daily in addition to my recently acquired 1989 E30 325i and while I spent countless nights fiending for my own E30, I am forever grateful that I was patient and waited for not only the right time, but also the right E30.

You have PLENTY of years ahead of you to find and enjoy an E30 and it'll be that more rewarding if you have gained the knowledge, experience, and money that is ahead of you.

TL; DR - be patient, get a different starter car and save time/money/experience for a few years or so down the road.

Comment

^Listen to this man. My first E30 was given to me. My second one, I jumped the gun because I saw it and liked it. Both were pieces of crap. Second is less of a piece of crap and it's my project. If I had waited, I imagine I could've gotten a much better one. That being said, I love my cabby anyways :-)
        88 325i Cabrio
        04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

Hey everyone, 4 years later, I finally bought one.

I have had this since November, and returned back.

The car is a 1990 325is with a 5-speed. 102k on the clock. Absolutely love it.

Since making my initial post, I have driven a 2003 Mazda6 and a 2004 Ford Escape. They got beat up, y'all were right. Thanks!

Let it be known to the next 16 year old kid who wants an E30 as their first ride, yeah its awesome, but don't worry, you'll get it.
          Just stay focused, save up, and be patient. The car will come.

Thanks!

Comment

Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

Great stuff Visors. The car looks nice and clean & you learned to drive in a couple of affordable, safe cars.
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Congrats, and thanks for the follow up on this thread.
                1990 325i
                2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                sigpic

Comment

I bought my e30 when I was 18. I bought a "running" automatic 325e sedan, 64,000 miles, in need of a full paint job for $1400. Turns out it needed a top end rebuild. After I rebuilt the head it ran great, but I wanted a manual and found a swap kit for the b27, but then came across a b25 from a wrecked car. After getting the 2.5, I came across better rods, a crank scraper, and head studs. After building that and swapping in a manual transmission and 325i diff, I acquired a cheap gtx3576r and currently have half of a turbo kit waiting to bolt on. Still needs a repaint, but it has almost fully been mechanically rebuilt. Koni shocks, vogtland shocks, subframe bushings and reinforcement, replaced brakes and a full brake system rebuild.

E30's are tricky for a new mechanic. Theyre weird cars to learn on, and if you want to buy a cheap one, it will likely never be quite right. Ones that are in great condition fetch nearly 10k. Rust is the main issue to look out for you, and never buy a car the same day you look at it.
                  Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Awesome man, enjoy the car and nice update!

I was driving a beat-up 86 Golf when I was 16 back in '01 and was trying to decide between the E30 and a 944. E30 won out due to the I-6 and I've had one almost ever since..

This forum is a great resource to keep your car on the road.

Comment

Working...
                    X