Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 BMW 318is E30

Hey there guys.
    I am from Australia. About to purchase my first car.
    Not sure what Car to buy. I really like the look of the BMW E30 Models.
    But my Dad keeps saying to me the car is to old. Do you think i will have many problems with a 1990 BMW 318is E30 with low K's/Miles on the clock?

Here is the link. My dad is trying to convince me to get a newer maintream car like a Honda, Toyota something along the lines of that. But i really love this BMW E30.
    Check it out let me know what you think. Are these cars prone to problems? Should i be better off buying a newer car? Also how do they drive like? Is there power when you need it?

Here is the link to the car.
    http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?total_rec=4&search_dis tance=500&price_min=2500&price_max=10000&vehicle_i d=3363593&selected_model=9&state_id=7&current_rec= 1&search_type=20&model_id=2989&used_rec=0&make_id= 13&category_id=3

Personally, i've loved both my 318is. They are far sturdier than the newer cars around and with proper maintenance they last for a very long time. I don't really know about the pricing in austrailia but the one in the ad seems a bit expensive. The bottom line about getting a car like this is wether or not you are willing to get your hands dirty from time to time. For most of us it is part of the fun of owning the car. What i would do if i where you is look up the 2-3 oz guys on the forum and chat with them (and if they are local, hang out have a beer and check the car).

Best of luck
    Julien
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Hello Turko

Im from Australia too and I've been lurking this forum for a while, just couldnt be bother registering. Just want to let you know that the $8.5k asking price is way too high. At max that should be $6.5-7. They handle well on australian roads, just make sure you got working aircon because it gets hot without it. I know cause mine doesnt work and It gets hot in a black e30 during summer.

Where do you live, you can make me an offer on my 320i, kills that 318is for looks. Dont expect the 318is to be all that powerfull, you'll get blown away by commodores easy.

Comment

Hey man, welcome first off the bat.

As an owner of a low milage 318is I say buy the e30 without hesitation. I love mine. While it might be almost 16 years old, compared to Honda's and Toyotas half its age its by far the most pleasureable to own and drive. Sure you might have to do a little more work to it, but as long as your willing to get your hands dirty, youll love every second of it. Just to clarify, these cars are practically guaranteed to go 200000 miles when well maintained, you cant find many other cars like that in the used car market.
        Back to my roots

Comment

hello TURKO
          I used to have a RACING 1991 Civic DOHC VTEC for circuit racing and i was amazed how fast it was but anyway i didnot like it and sold it and do u know why??? because it was FWD and the weight ratio on wheels was horrible, i couldnot feel where was the limit of the car in fast corners and that was horrible!!! later i bought a RWD and it was E30, I fell in love with this car... and i think its the best price/pleasure choice... and the main advantage is that maintaining this car is very simple and inexpensive. Thats it. for the start 318IS is a good choice and when u get used to it u can make swaps for more power... thats easy

my friend sold his 318IS M Tech for $2500 i didnot have money to buy it but im happy its still in good hands :)

Comment

M42 engines are awesome.
            Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Originally posted by BlackManWilly View Post
              Hello Turko

Im from Australia too and I've been lurking this forum for a while, just couldnt be bother registering. Just want to let you know that the $8.5k asking price is way too high. At max that should be $6.5-7. They handle well on australian roads, just make sure you got working aircon because it gets hot without it. I know cause mine doesnt work and It gets hot in a black e30 during summer.

Where do you live, you can make me an offer on my 320i, kills that 318is for looks. Dont expect the 318is to be all that powerfull, you'll get blown away by commodores easy.
              please don't tell me you think a 320 is faster than a 318is
              Build Threads:
              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by redbull 325is View Post
                please don't tell me you think a 320 is faster than a 318is
                :stupid:
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlackManWilly View Post
                  you'll get blown away by commodores easy.
                  Maybe the difference in engine size? 1.8L 4banger versus 3.8L v6 at the very minimum. :roll:

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                  RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

nd seeing as E30s are expensive in aussie, that seems like a good price.

Do it.

Wonder where the sport seats have gone?

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                    RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

my 320i could get beaten by a steam roller. We just get put to shame by commodores and falcons at the lights. :(

Comment

Im Aussie aswell and i reckon commos and falcons are for Aussies who wanna marry their sisters, ive driven loads over the years and still have yet to be blown away, there big fat sofa's on wheels... also if Buy a 'aussie' sedan the resale value of it will be soooo bad it'll be worth F**K all when it comes round to selling it. Go the e30!!

Comment

320's get put to shame by most things

civics are crap...after driving one for my sister managed to easily convince here into a e30...feel so much more civic. at least the e30 used to be a nice car once...civics have always been cheap, shit cars
                          JUNGL3

1990 "333i" Sport

Comment

Ok, well for a start, I was actually in your situation about 2 years ago when I was looking at buying my first car. My father wanted me to go for a newer, 'more reliable' car, etc. however in the end, my passion for E30's was too great to let go and so I decided to buy one - after convincing him.

Sure, I have spent money on it but most of what I've done has been either preventative maintenance or otherwise modifications that we unnecessary however nice to do and what I wanted to do with the car.

As far as the 318iS versus the 320i, you simply can't compare. I was tossing up between a 318iS and a 325i/iS when I bought mine and after driving a few 320i 's and a couple of 318's, I can definately say that the 318iS was my pick for sure. While a 325iS is nice as well, I think that for the $ that they demand here in Australia, the 318iS is much better bang for your buck and with the continually rising fuel prices, I find that I get far greater fuel economy than lots of new 4 cylinder cars on the market today.

Overall though, I must be honest with you and say that if you are going to go down the E30 route, be prepared to spend time and money otherwise you may become unstuck. I have enjoyed my E30 immensely and continue to do so however it does come at a cost but in my opinion, the fun factor everytime I drive it far outweighs what I've spent on it as I know to get the same thrill from a 21st century car I'd have to spend a lot more money!

Anyway, if you have any other questions just ask and while I may seemed a little biased towards the 318iS, you can rest assured that if you buy one, you are getting a quality E30 for your money!

Pete

Comment

Working...
                            X