No announcement yet.

Crocodile hunter (Steve Irwin) RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though he was annoying as sin, he was very smart and knowledgeable, and a brave motherfucker to boot. It's a real shame.

Comment

Shame, He brought back fun to programming for kids. Mine looked foward to watching his shows.

He will be missed.

On the off side he died doing what he loved.

Comment

Wikipedia...

Shortly after 11:00 a.m. local time (01:00 UTC) on 4 September 2006, Irwin was fatally pierced in the chest by a short-tail stingray barb while diving in Batt Reef (part of the Great Barrier Reef), off the coast of Port Douglas in Queensland, Australia. Irwin was in the area filming his own documentary, to be called The Ocean's Deadliest, but weather had stalled filming. Irwin decided to take the opportunity to film some shallow water shots for a segment in the television program his daughter Bindi was hosting,[27] when, according to his friend and colleague John Stainton, he swam too close to one of the animals. "He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat the Croc One.

The events were caught on camera, and the footage was handed to the Queensland Police.[28] After reviewing the footage of the incident and speaking to the cameraman who recorded it, marine documentary filmmaker and former spearfisherman Ben Cropp speculated that the stingray "felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead." In such a case, the stingray responds by automatically flexing the serrated barb on its tail up to a maximum of 25 cm (10 in) of length. Cropp said Irwin had accidentally boxed the animal in. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest. It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger." The stinging of Irwin by the bull ray was "a one-in-a-million thing," Cropp told Time magazine. "I have swum with many rays, and I have only had one do that to me."[29] Immediately after the attack, Irwin was shown on tape pulling the barb out, before losing consciousness. This was confirmed by his colleague John Stainton. [30] It is thought, in the absence of a coroner's report, that either the toxins of the barb caused Irwin to die of an apparent cardiac arrest[31] or that he died quickly as a result of a punctured aorta.[32]

Crewmembers aboard his boat called the emergency services in the nearest city of Cairns and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Lowe Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later.[27]

Irwin's body was flown to a morgue in Cairns. His wife was on a walking tour in Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park in Tasmania at the time, and returned via a private plane from Devonport to the Sunshine Coast with their two children.[27]

This was only the third known fatality in Australian history from a stingray attack, and the first since 1945.[33] As of 1996, only seventeen worldwide fatalities had been recorded,[34] and it is believed to be the only fatal attack ever captured on film.[35]

Reaction

The Queensland Police released a statement for the media concerning his death after notifying his family.[36] News of his death prompted a public outpouring expressing shock and loss. Australian Prime Minister John Howard expressed his "shock and distress" at the death, saying that "Australia has lost a wonderful and colourful son."[37] Queensland Premier Peter Beattie extended the offer of a state funeral to Irwin's family, commenting in a Channel Seven television interview that Irwin "will be remembered as not just a great Queenslander, but a great Australian".[38] Beattie also stated a permanent memorial might be constructed in honour of Irwin, though the details of the structure would depend on Irwin's wife.[39] Several Australian news websites went down because of high web traffic[40] and for the first time the top ten stories on www.theage.com.au were sweeped by one topic.[41] Talk-back radio experienced a high volume of callers expressing their grief.[42]

The U.S. feed of the Animal Planet cable television channel aired a special tribute to Steve Irwin at 6:00pm EST on Monday, 4 September 2006.[43] The president of the Discovery Network, Billy Campbell, released a statement, saying:[44]

Steve Irwin
        Our entire company is deeply saddened by the tragic and sudden loss of Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter. Steve was beloved by millions of fans and animal lovers around the world and was one of our planet's most passionate conservationists. He has graced our air since October 1996 and was essential in building Animal Planet into a global brand.

Steve Irwin

Animal Planet will rename the garden space in front of Discovery's world headquarters in Silver Spring, Montgomery County, Maryland, to the "Steve Irwin Memorial Sensory Garden." They are also looking at the creation of the Steve Irwin Crocodile Hunter Fund, which they will call "The Crikey Fund" which will "allow people from across the globe to make contributions in Steve's honor to support wildlife protection, education and conservation."[44]
        Last edited by robbieosterman; 09-05-2006, 01:19 AM.

Comment

i think theres a bit of site vandalisim in that post..............
          sigpic

Comment

yea, how did it catch him in the ANUS and rupture his aorta????? he wasn't that short!!!
            seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

That's bullshit, and it's also not funny. I can't even imagine what his death must have been like.

Comment

when chuck norris ever passes along, he'll be in heaven right with Steve.

Comment

hey i didn't write it, just noticed it when i read it. it was always fun watching him piss off animals on tv. he seemed like a nice guy to me, i wrote to him asking for a autographed pic for my girlfriend at the time (she thought he was the shit and she had a crock fetish) he sent me back an actual autographed pic made out to her. i thought that was pretty cool of him. too bad we broke up or i'd try to sell the pic now.
                  seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

RIP Steve.
                    My sister just told me happen early today.

I'm not really into the whole wildlife,but I REALLY REALLY admire the work and time he took to conserve it.

My feelings go out to his family and friends.And the creatures he saved.
                    -Frank
                    1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
                    1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
                    2001 525i

Comment

wikipedia is a common knowlege site you can copy watever you want + he did give them credit...+ this is a forum i doubt anyone could take actions of any type. there's a reason universities don't accept wikipedia as a creditable source

any news of steve's family?
                      No more e30s for me.
                      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]
                      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

I want to see the movie. In the paper they said they were taping a show.

Comment

The guy who filmed it said that he wanted it destroyed because he's worried it'll be released to the public.

Discuss.

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
                          I want to see the movie. In the paper they said they were taping a show.

Comment

This reminds me of Timmothy Treadwell, aka the Grizzly Man.

Briefly:
                            Timothy Treadwell spent thirteen summers in Katmai National Park and Preserve, Alaska. Over time, he believed he was trusted by the bears, who would allow him to approach them, and sometimes even touch them. Treadwell was repeatedly warned by park officials that his interaction with the bears was unsafe to both him and to the bears. In 2003, at the end of his thirteenth visit, he and his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, were attacked, killed and eaten by a bear.

They won't play the audio tape (video is of nothing) of the bear eating him because they fear it is too brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by kommissar View Post
                              This reminds me of Timmothy Treadwell, aka the Grizzly Man.

Briefly:
                              Timothy Treadwell spent thirteen summers in Katmai National Park and Preserve, Alaska. Over time, he believed he was trusted by the bears, who would allow him to approach them, and sometimes even touch them. Treadwell was repeatedly warned by park officials that his interaction with the bears was unsafe to both him and to the bears. In 2003, at the end of his thirteenth visit, he and his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, were attacked, killed and eaten by a bear.

They won't play the audio tape (video is of nothing) of the bear eating him because they fear it is too brutal.
                              Yeah.. hated that movie too- timothy was a frickin headcase, and while his efforts to save the grizzlys was admirable, he also thought he was "friends" with these bears... I think these people who mess so closely with wildlife.. (hence *WILD* life)... they seem to get whats coming to them in the end... which in retrospect, is probably how they wanted to leave this planet anyways....
                              ~Jessica~
                              "The liver is Evil, It must be punished!"

Comment

Throughout this whole deal, I've got the impression that to some people this is almost like a joke. It just really irritates me to see a lack of compassion towards somebody, especially Irwin, passing.

As I continue to see things on TV about the fellow, I think to myself...I hope I can be half the person this guy was. Seems rare you see somebody so genuine and enthusiastic/passionate about what they do.

RIP
                                Trevor Ely
                                '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
                                '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Working...
                                X