OMFG...My car has no front swaybar!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMFG...My car has no front swaybar!!!

How fuckin' weird...I was looking under my car last night after changing a control arm. My car is an '87 325is. I know it came with swaybars on both ends.

MY CAR HAS NO FRONT SWAY BAR.

How the hell this has escaped me for nearly 3 years just astounds me. I have wanted to do some kind of aftermarket sways since day 1, but I never noticed the fact that I have NONE!

The car cornered like shit, basically. Braking has always made the damn thing shudder. I ASSUMED it was from the cheapass drilled rotors and crappy geometry on the stock bushings, worn to hell.

Whoever removed it did a thorough job, too. The mounts on the control arms, gone. The mounting tabs on the crossmember, GONE.

I grabbed the sway from the '87 "is" I just parted out, made some tab reinforcers out of some 3/32" aluminum (they clamp the crossmember using the sway mount) and bolted that shit in.

I will pull the crossmember and swap it with the spare after I weld in some better tabs...and re-do my CAB's.

So, now I have far better straight line stability, amazingly better turn in, smoother braking...just a fucking HUGE difference.

Now I am gonna cut about an inch out of the end links, thread both ends and couple them so the geometry improves. Next will be Urethane sway bushings...seems AKG is gonna get more money from me.

So much better...now I gotta fix the lolli bolt I broke!

Back to the grind.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Thats actually pretty funny. But nice that such a simple fix made such a big difference. Those brakes do need replaced though. I've never seen warpage that bad.
    sigpic

Comment

and you care about your car enough to miss something like that for 3 years bump

Comment

ive heard of them being left disconnected. But not missing completely.
        Glad you found the problem!
        sigpic

Comment

If theres nothing loose or hanging (or empty) its a little easier to miss unless your looking for it.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 Groupie View Post
            Thats actually pretty funny. But nice that such a simple fix made such a big difference. Those brakes do need replaced though. I've never seen warpage that bad.
            BBK gonna get done, I swear! I am thinking about swapping on the stock rotors I have laying around, just so I can stop without wiggling.

It really is funny, though.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Mine is disconnected in the rear and since I havent driven it I havent bothered to worry about it. As I am posting this though I just figured out what the clunk sound is when I go over bumps, its the sway bar swinging around. It all makes sense now!

Glad you got your problem fixed up for the time being!
              Keep on Keepin' on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ender. View Post
                Mine is disconnected in the rear and since I havent driven it I havent bothered to worry about it. As I am posting this though I just figured out what the clunk sound is when I go over bumps, its the sway bar swinging around. It all makes sense now!

Glad you got your problem fixed up for the time being!
                Thanks man. I found some dish soap in the bushing makes the rear link install much easier. Mine was broken when I bought the car...poor thing!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                X