What does brake horsepower (bhp) mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does brake horsepower (bhp) mean?

I've never actually been able to find out how it works, or how it is figured.

How similar is it to whp or chp?

bhp is the same as crank or flywheel horsepower, power the motor makes at the motor..there are some variations, but I dont really know them

whp is wheel horsepower, which is the amount of power a car/bike transfers to the ground
    BEERTECH

Comment

That makes sense, but then why is is called "brake" horsepower? I guess that's the part I don't get.

Comment

that I could not answer...
        BEERTECH

Comment

i've always known it and referred to it as base horsepower, not brake

edit: here's your answer:

the crank dyno is also known as a friction brake

badda bing
          My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerphile
            i've always known it and referred to it as base horsepower, not brake
            Jeremy Clarkson says "brake". I'll take his word for it.

Jeez Kris. :D

Comment

i've only heard "brake" horse power. I just assumed it was the same as at the crank

Comment

Below is the dictionary's definition, perhaps it will clarify for you:

Brake Horsepower

NOUN: abbr. bhp or b.hp. The actual or useful horsepower of an engine, usually determined from the force exerted on a friction brake or dynamometer connected to the drive shaft

Comment

BHP or Brake Horsepower is the horsepower of an engine, is measured by a dynamometer which is connected to the driveshaft of the car.

Edit: you beat me :D

Comment

Originally posted by Chris E30 Cab
                    Below is the dictionary's definition, perhaps it will clarify for you:

Brake Horsepower

NOUN: abbr. bhp or b.hp. The actual or useful horsepower of an engine, usually determined from the force exerted on a friction brake or dynamometer connected to the drive shaft
                    beat ya
                    My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by LikeCDoos
                      i've only heard "brake" horse power. I just assumed it was the same as at the crank
                      yeah thats what my tech teacher told me junior year. brake hp = crank hp

Comment

Excellent. Thanks guys, now I can sleep a whole night.

Comment

Any motor actually makes more horsepower than what it puts out at the crank. I forget the adverage precentage, but a certin percent of the horsepower made in a motor is "used up" by pumping air in and out, friction on the moving parts, ect... all lost in the the form of heat and sound.

Brake horsepower(from what I always believed) is how much horsepower is DELIVERED to the dyno - or how much horsepower the engine actually delivers - not how much it really produces.

So if you were designing the motor that would be important - in such things as delivering enought fuel to power the motor - you need to deliver enought fuel that equates to how much power is produced - not how much is delivered.

George Graves
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                          X