Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$2006 challenge

http://img329.imagehttp://img329.ima...scf1897sq3.jpg
    Last edited by Lof8; 10-28-2006, 06:54 AM.
    S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
    What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

I don't know if these are going to work. e30s with turbos and superchargers. All for under $2000.

http://img329.imageshack.u[IMG]

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7...1900dl9.th.jpg[/IMG]

s/my.php?image=ds[IMG]

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7691/dscf1900dl9.th.jpg[/IMG]cf1900dl9.jpg[IMG]

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4378/dscf1910ah8.th.jpg[/IMG]
    S50'd

Comment

disregard the previous posts. I'll do it again tomorrow when I'm not all drunk.
      S50'd

Comment

this what you were shooting for?

Comment

Alright. I'm a little more coherent now. The $2006 challenge is a contest put on every year by Grassroots Motorsports Magazine. The rules are simply to build a car for under $2000 total. (theres a few details like being able to sell parts from the car for credit towards the budget). The contest consists of an autocrosss, a 1/4 mile time and a concours judging. The contest takes place right here in Gainesville, so I've attended the last 3.

There is some nice examples of backyard engineering that show up at this event. People from all over the country bring their cars. There were about 50 or 60 entries this year with 3 of them being e30s. Lots of American v8s swapped into Japanese sports cars and lots of honda crxs. The first bmw was a 325 with a turbo from an old Porsche worked in. The second was another 325 with a supercharger. The third was a pretty stockish 318.

I only watched the autocross portion and the bimmers did ok, falling about mid pack. The turbo'd 325 was around the top 15 (none seemed to really have any suspension work other than softer tires).

Anyway, fun stuff. Heres a few pics.

S50'd

Comment

god i hate v8 240z's for some reason

its a funny event though. i get GRM-is this the one where they put training wheels on it if you bump drivers too much, and stuff like that?
            Originally posted by blunt
            can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

like how the only e30 winner was driver who hit the most cones, 84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by ColdAccord View Post
                god i hate v8 240z's for some reason

its a funny event though. i get GRM-is this the one where they put training wheels on it if you bump drivers too much, and stuff like that?
                that would be 24 hours of lemons

Comment

hahaha yessss
                  Originally posted by blunt
                  can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

interesting. Did the supercharged car have an alternator? I suppose they could have relocated it, but charging just the battery before races would work too.

Comment

Usually the guy or guys with the most racing friends wins this. Donating parts for really cheap...parts and cars for $1.00...lol.
                      It's supposted to be based on market value. I think they let it go a bit so people will show and have fun.

Looks like fun but I don't have enough racing friends.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
                        Usually the guy or guys with the most racing friends wins this. Donating parts for really cheap...parts and cars for $1.00...lol.
                        It's supposted to be based on market value. I think they let it go a bit so people will show and have fun.

Looks like fun but I don't have enough racing friends.
                        Yea, the "accounting" methods on the challenge make it a joke. I remember 3-4 years ago how the one team was "sold" 5 cars for a dollar, and proceeded to part them out and make around 6500 - they "subtracted" that from the $200x budget and started working with some 8-9k budget.

It's all a bunch of horseshit really, as you mentioned with all of these "donated" cars and such with the college teams. I think the sub-1000 dollar sub-challenge cars are the only ones that are really in the spirit of the original competition anyway.

I wish GRM would get back to doing more amatuer racing articles and such, and get away from doing 6-7 issues a year on the "challenge", the 300 dollar junk "project" cars, and the rallycross crap.

-Charlie
                        Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                        '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                        FYYFF

Comment

actually you cannot recoup more than $2000 for parts sold. Its generally a pretty fair playing field with a few exceptions where people are just straight lying about their purchase prices. Definately a few cheaters (like the immaculate 944 turbo). The cheater cars usually don't even make the top 10 anyway. Overall, its a very interesting and entertaining event.
                          S50'd

Comment

GRMs new project car is a 325 that they're building for spec e30 racing.
                            S50'd

Comment

MGB Style:

This website is for sale! theautoist.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, theautoist.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Working...
                              X