Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EE majors and EE's - what multimeter/scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EE majors and EE's - what multimeter/scope?

I've been playing around with some electrontics recently. Just some basic basic stuff. Op-amps, 555s, some other LM stuff - oh and a tiny micocontroler called a "basic stamp"...So looking for a MM and scope (NON CAR RELATED)

QUESTIONS

1.) What would be a good starting multimeter for me?(sick of my analog rat-shack POS) I assume Fluke, but what model?

2.) Since I am getting into some more complex stuff and I'd like to see the waveform, what PC hardware/software scope would you recomend for starting out? Something I can plug into my PC/laptop with optical isolation?

THANKS!

Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

fluke 88. buy now, dont worry about it later. love mine.
    Dan

Comment

I have the Fluke 88V, I dont think the original 88 is produced anymore, but both models are available on ebay. Its an automotive multimeter, but still has all the normal stuff.

Comment

yea the v. of course
        Dan

Comment

still got my trusty Fluke 77A/N works like a charm :)
          Continuous For Sale Thread
          323i s50

Comment

Hmmm - the 88V might be a bit more meter than I need at the moment. And I'm not looking for something so car-centric. (and my budget is a bit slim!) - but thanks for the help!
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

You can find several cheaper Fluke multimeters on ebay, just to get the idea of how much they cost. The 88v is a rather high end meter, at this point Flukes best automotive non graphical meter...so yeah it was a tough pill to swallow for me too. There are really nice ones out there though for between 100-150 I'd guess. At least certainly lightly used.

Comment

and youre right, its more meter than you need atm, but the 80 series meters have min/max and a couple other settings youll end up using, while anything below it is just enough to piss you off... well, it would me. i carry the 87v for work.
                as for a scope, definetly check through ebay for anything that works and thats cheap. any new(er) scopes have easy to use functions for trigger and screen captures. dont even worry about hooking shit up to your computer. theres no point. if you need screen captures, there are ways to put them on floppy or through cat5, if available.
                i use a Tektronix TDS3000 series. i could get more clarity from my older analog ones but the ease of use far surpasses them so i gave em up.

Comment

Working...
                X