New Here also

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here also

Hey guys im new here too (seeing the other newbie thread). Instead of owning one im trying to get my hands on a preferably 1990 325is. Can i just ask what kind of mileage are you guys experiencing with easy driving in these cars and also the "general" opinion of reliability with mechanical and electrical issues? I need to spend a lot more hours searching in this site but for now if you would let me get away with these two questions being answered i would appreciate it a lot :)

thanks.

I'll let some of the more tech-happy bretherin fill you in on all your questions and concerns (I'm not feeling all that great and not down to type all that stuff out, either :D ), but welcome to R3V!

Comment

Welcom to r3v.

To answer your questions:

1: You will get a lot of miles out of an easy going m20. My 87 has 270k on it and is still a champ. Keep in mind that the I engines are going to beat on more just because that is generally happens to them. I know of a lot of owners with a lot of miles on them so don't worry too much about it.

2: The e30 is very reliable. The build quality is great and if it is maintained, it will last forever. The electrical is also good but sometimes there are some problems here and there. Good thing the electrical system is so easy to work on in these cars.

You can't go wrong getting an e30.
      Originally posted by cabriodster87
      "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
      Originally posted by Kershaw
      i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
        Welcom to r3v.

To answer your questions:

1: You will get a lot of miles out of an easy going m20. My 87 has 270k on it and is still a champ. Keep in mind that the I engines are going to beat on more just because that is generally happens to them. I know of a lot of owners with a lot of miles on them so don't worry too much about it.

2: The e30 is very reliable. The build quality is great and if it is maintained, it will last forever. The electrical is also good but sometimes there are some problems here and there. Good thing the electrical system is so easy to work on in these cars.

You can't go wrong getting an e30.
        +1 but make sure you get one with at least decent miles and some repair bills. Timing belt, etc.

Mariano

2001 Titaniumsilber 540i Sport 6-Speed
        1990 Diamantschwarz Alpha-N 2.5L ///M3
        1986 Alpinweiss 325e M50B25 (R.I.P.)

-Talk to me when more sound comes from the induction than from the exhaust...

-Argentina........lo mas grande que hay.

Comment

you should get an 89' instead of a 90'.
          1991 318iS swapped w/ euro S50B32
          -Michael

Comment

I have an 89 325is. The last time I kept an eye on mileage was when I drove from Chicago to LA 10 years ago. I was moving so my car was packed to the gills plus a passenger and I was getting like 28 to 30 on the highway if i remember correctly.

As far as reliability these things are tanks, with basic maintenance they'll run forever. I drove mine for the first couple years without doing shit to it other than changing the oil and it still has yet to ever let me down. Make sure to change the timing belt if you are unsure of the mileage of the one you buy.

Electrically there may be a glitch once in a blue moon but there easy to fix.

Comment

welcome! e30s are awesome. you will fall in love with them if you haven't already. if you take care of the car it will take care of you. maybe an ignition system tune-up every once in a blue moon will help longevity and mpg.
              Originally posted by Hawt drift chick
              Yeah, i'm a good dude i swear, i just like to be balls to the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by TerribleONE View Post
                you should get an 89' instead of a 90'.
                Why do you say that? I always liked that mine was a 89 because of no airbag etc. I agree just wondering why you think that?

By the way I really like your car, About to do a lot of work to mine...Do you have a list of mods somewhere?

Comment

Welcome to R3V.

E30s are great cars. In San Diego you should be able to find several nice cars.

I would hold out for a 325is were I you (I did).

If you have basic mechanical skills, there really is not much that can't be done easily. Tons of support, parts are cheap, etc.

Good luck on the search!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

welcome...What are you looking to spend?
                    90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

Hey thanks for all the responds. Im looking for preferably a 325is but I will settle for a 318is. Ive been wanting to own one of these since my eyes laid upon my cousin's car (i believe 325is) in Poland. I believe his car went well into the 300k miles and still has it.

Im looking to spend around well 3k to 3.5K for the average looking 325i and perhaps I would make a paint job improvement on it. I could spend more, just on an e30 that already looks "cherried"

edit~ is there any easy way of finding a replacement engine for the 325is? Just because I see a neighbor selling a 325is with about 220K miles on it. Im not sure how well he has mantained the car.
                      Last edited by Dozyproductions; 01-05-2007, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                        Hey thanks for all the responds. Im looking for preferably a 325is but I will settle for a 318is. Ive been wanting to own one of these since my eyes laid upon my cousin's car (i believe 325is) in Poland. I believe his car went well into the 300k miles and still has it.

Im looking to spend around well 3k to 3.5K for the average looking 325i and perhaps I would make a paint job improvement on it. I could spend more, just on an e30 that already looks "cherried"

edit~ is there any easy way of finding a replacement engine for the 325is? Just because I see a neighbor selling a 325is with about 220K miles on it. Im not sure how well he has mantained the car.
                        M20s are really cheap and easy to find, but you can just have the engine rebuilt also,,they are VERY VERY durable engines.
                        90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                          Hey thanks for all the responds. Im looking for preferably a 325is but I will settle for a 318is.

Im looking to spend around well 3k to 3.5K for the average looking 325i and perhaps I would make a paint job improvement on it. I could spend more.

is there any easy way of finding a replacement engine for the 325is? Just because I see a neighbor selling a 325is with about 220K miles on it. Im not sure how well he has mantained the car.
                          If you want to jump in large I'd buy a 318is in good condition with excellent paint, shitty motor, and maybe some upgraded suspension. The big reason to get the 325is is for the 6 cylinder motor. To paint a car is EXPENSIVE, about as much as the purchase price of the car. Spend the loot on a good car instead of paint later. If your looking for a new motor I'd recommend buying a car in good condition with a shitty or blown motor. what you do then is drop the 6 cylinder from the new generation in your car and it will be a reliable rocketship. Do some searches on the s50,s52,s54 swaps and you'll see what I'm talking about. In San Diego/So Cal you should be able to find an is in excellent condition for 2-3 thousand. Shop around so you can save later.

Good Luck!

Comment

89s have elipsoids
                            90s is when they started the airbag and sealed beams and various other stupid stuff

I think they stopped making 325is after 1990 too, and just started calling them 325i with sport package
                            R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Originally posted by 92 mtechnic cabrio View Post
                              89s have elipsoids
                              90s is when they started the airbag and sealed beams and various other stupid stuff

I think they stopped making 325is after 1990 too, and just started calling them 325i with sport package
                              thanks for the info. I was wondering why terribleone liked 89's over 90's, I'll do a search but if any of this other stupid stuff comes to mind let me know!

Comment

Working...
                              X