Who removed their subframe, took to shop, replaced bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who removed their subframe, took to shop, replaced bearings

Whoever it was said that the shop did it for only $50 when they brought the rear end removed from the vehicle in. I just wanted to see if I remembered the price because if it is only $50 to have it done while it is removed from the vehicle, i will do it that way!

yay found it.

nick325is had his bearings pushings pressed out for new ones for only $150

Comment

every shop is going to be different, but the more work you do, so all the shop has to do is press out the old and press in the new bearing, the cheaper the price will be.
      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

If you take your old subframe out, which is a bitch, you should be able to do the wheel bearings.

Cutting the metal that is left from the bushing is extreamly easy. A sawsal, large flat head screw driver and a hammer is all you need. It took me 10 min to do both of mine.
        Originally posted by cabriodster87
        "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
        Originally posted by Kershaw
        i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

i've replaced 3 rear wheel bearings w/o too much of a hassle.. don't know what all the fuss is about. just get a slide hammer with proper fittings.

Julien
          Build Threads:
          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Mine was $ 220 for the subframe, trailing arms, diff cover and bearings.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
              If you take your old subframe out, which is a bitch, you should be able to do the wheel bearings.

Cutting the metal that is left from the bushing is extreamly easy. A sawsal, large flat head screw driver and a hammer is all you need. It took me 10 min to do both of mine.
              Can you explain the process in more detail? I'm about to get into this? I'm not with my car for another month and I'm not sure if I need new wheel bearings or not? I figure I'll do it since everything is apart. The thing is I'm in Chicago where I'm able to get a discount and would need to buy the parts before I travel back. How often do those little suckers need to be changed out? Don't feel like spending cash on them unless they need it.

Comment

I have my trailing arms off the car. It is fucking insane. I would rather them be on the car, so I can do like redbull325is. the trailing arms and hard to capture in a press or in a vice.

Comment

Originally posted by Fanzotti View Post
                  Can you explain the process in more detail? I'm about to get into this? I'm not with my car for another month and I'm not sure if I need new wheel bearings or not? I figure I'll do it since everything is apart. The thing is I'm in Chicago where I'm able to get a discount and would need to buy the parts before I travel back. How often do those little suckers need to be changed out? Don't feel like spending cash on them unless they need it.
                  Are you talking about getting the metal out of the subframe?

Trent, are you talking about getting the nut off of the axle? Thoes are a real bitch. Isn't the torque like 200 pounds on thoes anyways? On the car is much easier I agree.
                  Originally posted by cabriodster87
                  "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                  Originally posted by Kershaw
                  i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
                    Are you talking about getting the metal out of the subframe?

Trent, are you talking about getting the nut off of the axle? Thoes are a real bitch. Isn't the torque like 200 pounds on thoes anyways? On the car is much easier I agree.
                    Lol, that took 5 seconds. I mean, removing the hubs - mine are welded together haha

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
                      I have my trailing arms off the car. It is fucking insane. I would rather them be on the car, so I can do like redbull325is. the trailing arms and hard to capture in a press or in a vice.
                      Put a small hydrolic jack in between the 2 arms and push them out with a socket. Heating them up a bit(a heat gun was all I needed) makes them come out easier. When your doing this be careful because is does "stretch" the arms a bit but thats usual. If that wont work burn them out.

Hunter
                      We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDNUNTA View Post
                        Put a small hydrolic jack in between the 2 arms and push them out with a socket. Heating them up a bit(a heat gun was all I needed) makes them come out easier. When your doing this be careful because is does "stretch" the arms a bit but thats usual. If that wont work burn them out.
                        huh? How does that help with the bearings?

Comment

Working...
                        X