E30 Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Market

It seems like there are more and more ads daily for people looking to buy an E30. Could it be this is going to be more than just a cult following car?

I am more than happy to own mine, but still long to own an M3 at some point. I was reading in Bimmer, and they were saying that e30's are easier to find right now. I cannot remember why, but I found that to be somewhat odd. I imagine that E30's are easy to find right now to a certain extent. I can only imagine like any other car - the herd is thinned daily.

Even though I live in a somewhat small town, I know of three other e30's...they all are in very rough shape, but regardless they are e30s. With the onset of spece30 racing, I can see many getting snatched up.

So what makes the e30 wanted? It is much more than just a cheap used car at this point in it's life. Hell, Bimmer even said that e30 drivers do not even have to suffer with some of the build quality annoyances that the e36 drivers have to.

So the market - I have seen some clean as hell BMW e30's go for money. Most have to be very clean, and I have not seen *stock* only issues like to see in other classics...

It will be interesting when these cars become even more scarce...
    '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Good post.. This e30 is my first car, but i love it.. at this point (after the paint job) i wouldn't even want to trade it for a e30 m3..(my dream car).. you'll c why soon though ;)..

But yeah, the e30, it's a quick little car, but it deffinantly isn't FAST FAST. I have beaten many cars with this.. but lost to many aswell. I can't tell you why people like it.. I can't even tell you why I like it.. but when I get to turn my car on and listen to that awesome m20 engine my heart starts pumping..

Also, the build quality in these cars are really good. My mom and my sister both drive 2002, and 2004 dodge intrepids.. new cars.. but.. Peices of SHIT. My e30 is more advanced then both of them. And i can prob list more cars that don't have half the shit e30s have, internal and external..

The stock e30 to most ppl is deffinantly not an attractive car, even my xgf's think they are just some box looking old car, AND MY e30 isn't even stock!! haha.. but that changes when they get to sit shotty :D.

soo to end up my post.. all i gots to say is

I love my e30.

s52 0-150mph & more http://www.youtube.com/loonibab325i

Comment

i want one. but now is not good timing. i tried to find one about a year and a half ago. with no luck. i want a plastic bumper 325i or IS. really doesnt matter as long as its a stick and in GREAT condition. finding one around me is much much easier said than done. my first car was a red ETA. that was the start i suppose. the look is timeless, i absolutely never tire of it. the thought of owning one again is always in the back of my mind, and it always shows back up every few months. i was 14 when i got it. i bought it from my next door neighbor for $1600. haha, i think that was back in 98 or 99. anyhow, i have noticed the older it gets, the more popular and well know it is. almost all enthusiests know about the E30 now days. say 5 years ago, most people didnt know what it was if you said 'E30'. and when they saw one, they just associate it with an ugly 80's european car. i know im rambling on here. but theres just something about them. i like to look at them. i remember sitting at the computer for days, finding every picture i possible could about them. maybe later this summer i can continue the search.

-Dane
      diving board division, bishez.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky7 View Post
        i want one. but now is not good timing. i tried to find one about a year and a half ago. with no luck. i want a plastic bumper 325i or IS. really doesnt matter as long as its a stick and in GREAT condition. finding one around me is much much easier said than done. my first car was a red ETA. that was the start i suppose. the look is timeless, i absolutely never tire of it. the thought of owning one again is always in the back of my mind, and it always shows back up every few months. i was 14 when i got it. i bought it from my next door neighbor for $1600. haha, i think that was back in 98 or 99. anyhow, i have noticed the older it gets, the more popular and well know it is. almost all enthusiests know about the E30 now days. say 5 years ago, most people didnt know what it was if you said 'E30'. and when they saw one, they just associate it with an ugly 80's european car. i know im rambling on here. but theres just something about them. i like to look at them. i remember sitting at the computer for days, finding every picture i possible could about them. maybe later this summer i can continue the search.
        Just keep your head up man and keep an eye out :). The perfect e30 will find you b4 you know it.

s52 0-150mph & more http://www.youtube.com/loonibab325i

Comment

My car is nearly 18 years old and its in much better shape than most cars I see on the road manufactured between 1999 and 2002. At the junk yard I see at least 4 to 5 non-E30 BMW models for every E30 that I encounter. That alone tells me that the car is increasingly in high demand.

I think its just one of those things that every car manufacturer gets right once or twice throughout the history of their company. The Buick GN was supposed to end its production run in 1985 for the 86 model year but that car was so much sought after that they made an additional 1000 units for 87. Then I recall that they kept cranking out Buick Regals that had all of the features of a GN but without the badging and trim that went along with it..

Even VW seemed to get their old style Beetle right. Sure, it got banned from the US in the 70's due to emissions regulations but it was still manufactured in mexico and sold all over the world up until 2004.

And I hear many mechanics talk about how the 89 model was the last year that the E30 still had its flair. I have not driven a 90 or 91 model to test this theory but I have been told on many occasions that this particular platform for the 3-series has been the best one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jscotty View Post

I think its just one of those things that every car manufacturer gets right once or twice throughout the history of their company. The Buick GN was supposed to end its production run in 1985 for the 86 model year but that car was so much sought after that they made an additional 1000 units for 87. Then I recall that they kept cranking out Buick Regals that had all of the features of a GN but without the badging and trim that went along with it..

I got a 85 GN and i didn't know that they was thinking about having 86 as the last year. But 87 was the last year for the GN and T-Type. Here is the production #'s

carb. turbo
            1982:: 0 T-Types__ 215 GN's
            1983:: 3,732 T-Types__ 0 GN's

1992 BMW 325iC
            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

As a recent convert here's why E30s are growing in popularity. Low price, still reliable enough to drive daily, balanced fun chasis, and it's not another rice burner. I really enjoy the car and for the price you can't beat it.
              sigpicFormer professional wrench thrower.
              Current:
              1988 325is S52
              Former:
              2008 Sparkling Graphite M3 Sedan(victim of home ownership)
              1988 M5
              1996 328is

Comment

I have people comment daily on how much they like my car(s), etc. People think they are expensive, but top quality. Women especially seem impressed by it.

I don't know about that kind of shit. I like it because it is the most fun I have ever had in a car, period. I have driven all kinds of cars, but the E30 is easily the most lively, most predictable, smoothest...just an all around blast.

My GF is getting more and more excited about hers. I can't wait to see a red and a black in the driveway! Nigel will have one too, in white.

As far as value, I am just glad it is going up daily.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Eh we got a " BMW Certified Master Technician" trying to sell an 89 325iS for 25,000

Dan Zickel
                  1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by E30Driv3R View Post
                    Eh we got a " BMW Certified Master Technician" trying to sell an 89 325iS for 25,000

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/car/276550589.html
                    welll.. it does have 32k miles on it.
                    Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                    Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen View Post
                      welll.. it does have 32k miles on it.
                      $25K is still a bit much. I would think it would be a strech to pay $15K for it. While it is the most sought after year of the 325is it is still an e30 and worth 10-15K IMO.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWing6 View Post
                        worth 10-15K IMO.
                        +1

I like the fact that our cars are not depreciating in value anymore :)
                        sigpic

Comment

Another thing that I find amazing is that I get complements from people who really don't know how old my car is. With the 36's and the other models that followed, I would think that our cars look considerably older.

Comment

i like the e30 because of the connection i feel with the car as i drive it. there is no technical jargon betweem my hands, feet and the road. it is just there. if that makes any sense. and they handle very nicely. i had to drive my FWD sentra today, and taking a turn that would be easy for my e30, in my sentra all i feel is the tires slid to the left. not a good feeling.

i try to get as many of my friends as i can to buy E30's. i def want to get a late model is and keep it for many many years and give all those youngins with their hydrogen powered minimobiles a nice asswhoopin.

i plan on hitting 500,000 miles. period. it wil lmake it.

"Things may come and go, but E30's, now those are forever"
                            Last edited by MikeE30325i; 03-05-2007, 06:08 PM.

Comment

hmmm...that is a going point! I guess - how low can you go! :) It is only up from here!
                              '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X