'83 VW scirocco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 VW scirocco

Are these cars any good? There's one for sale locally for pretty cheap that my dad might go look at (or I might too).

edit: It's a Scirocco GT

another cult car, smaller following, sourcing parts for it to be more than a resto will be tough. try and find a corrado in your range. pure sex.
    --Jon

"Faster, Faster!...until the thrill of speed surpasses the fear of death."--Robert Craig

1986 Bronzit 325
    1988 Zinno 325Ix--parts
    1990 RX7
    ----
    1980 Honda Cb750, dunstall tank+fairing, Clubman
    1974 Norton Commando ,cafe Resto.

Comment

Scirocco's are great cars if you have experience with CIS injection or have owned an 80's VW of sorts. Of my three scirocco's, my 16v was my favorite but it was a constant fight to keep it running. The 1.8 8v is bullet proof and it should prove to be a fun DD.

Now everybody chime in about how they think VW's are crap even though they've never owned one.

Originally posted by Bimmernaut View Post
      try and find a corrado in your range. pure sex.
      Please god no.

Comment

I really like the body style of the scirocco's..
        Slicktop City!

Comment

At the age of 17 (1988), I bought a 1982 with 100000 miles on it and sold it 6 years later with 242,000. I never had to replace anything expensive ie: clutch) and I did not believe in preventive maintenence. Also - the car performed great in the snow.

Comment

I lost count at 13 on owning VW's. I'd stick with the super genaric models. IIRC there never was a Scirocco GT in the NA market, it's wearing a euro badge. Scirocco's are better than Corrado's as far as cost per mile of part and frequency of repairs, but a Rabbit GTI or a Golf / A2 GTI (8 valve, preferrably an '86) would be my pick if I was going back to the FWD market.

The main problem with Sciroccos now days is that they were kind of a bastard car, in that the fuel injection was just slightly different than generic Rabbit/Golf & Jetta models, and bodywork parts are becoming slightly scarce, due to lower production numbers. A 16v Scirocco isn't as bad, but it was again sort of a bastard as the intake came off the opposite side as A2 brother's GTI & Jetta GLI, again the bodywork issue, and unless the car body is primo, the intake is worth more to A1 guys as it's a boltup to those bodies.

'86 GTI's are the most preferred, as you got rear disc brakes, and the best high compression 8 valve motor, engine code HT or RD, I forget off the top of my head which.

If you found a 16v GTI with maint. records and less than 150K, I wouldn't mind that either. Just keep on top of religiously changing the timing belt, as it is an interferance motor, and 16v parts aren't cheap if you eat valves, but aside from that, I would rock one. Techtonics is a company to learn the ways of 16v maintence, and good performance parts too.

Corrados - sexy, no doubt - but again, a solid example will command at least $4-5K, and you don't want to even bother with basketcases unless you have a serious love of wrenching, as you will learn all about superchargers. Bahn Brenner in a good shop to call to get a realistic view of Corrados.
            VR6 Corrados cost larger money, and as a prior owner, the VR6 and the Corrado core support just don't work well together. You have to pull the core support to get the lower intake manifold off if you aren't dropping the power train out the bottom. I had all my lights, foglights, turn signals, and such on quick connects to pop all them out, then pull the core support. Kinda sucked, but worked.

'86 GTI FTW. The 16v GTI hit in '87, so all '86 are 8v. I'd rock a '85 GTI too, just drum rears, and I forget what exact motor code.

The best thing about VW is any A1/A2 body will bolt up any A1/A2 engine, and some later model motors as well. Real Mr. Potatoehead mentality, but makes swap work a breeze. I think it's a huge reason you see so many swap powertrains.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Corrados g60's are ticking time bombs. I love my mk2 scirroco we use it to rally. One of the funnest beaters ive ever driven.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                Corrados g60's are ticking time bombs.
                X2.... Love the way they look though, and the interiors are awesomely comfortable.

Comment

well, the guy is asking $500. It has just over 100,000 miles on it, silver with black leather bucket seats, moonroof, "body fair stored indoors," but I think he only has it listed as a parts car...

Comment

When you say corrado's are timebombs...what are you basing that on?

granted the pruduction was limited so parts wont be come and go. but it is a V.AG car, what as far as parts go are you all saying is expensive? just curious, we have owned 2 corrado's a scirroco and my Superbeetle...
                    --Jon

"Faster, Faster!...until the thrill of speed surpasses the fear of death."--Robert Craig

1986 Bronzit 325
                    1988 Zinno 325Ix--parts
                    1990 RX7
                    ----

Comment

threadjack!

who has actually owned/wrenched on one here? i have, and im really interested in this corrado dislike.
                      --Jon

1986 Bronzit 325
                      1988 Zinno 325Ix--parts
                      1990 RX7
                      ----

Comment

Working...
                      X