Early 90s Wrangler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early 90s Wrangler

Any one have any experience with an early 90s Wrangler? My mom owned one about 10 years ago, but I knew dick about them then. I'm thinking about picking one up for the Summer, specifically a soft-top 2.5L.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Originally posted by kencopperwheat View Post
    Any one have any experience with an early 90s Wrangler? My mom owned one about 10 years ago, but I knew dick about them then. I'm thinking about picking one up for the Summer, specifically a soft-top 2.5L.

Ken, I can tell you two things about them, firstly, the 4 cylinders are weak as well water and I'd recommend avoiding them at all costs. The second thing is the suspension is a leaf spring design and rough as a corn cob, it's gonna beat you silly. Now if this is nothing more than a weekend kickaround, and you don't mind a rough ride, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd suggest going with the updated 97+ wranglers with more modern coil/spring suspensions. You can pick a higher mileage one up for not a lot more money than you'll wind up spending on an earlier model, but you'll be glad you opted for the better ride and updated looks as well.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

While I agree with RC's assessment, I will tell you it's a matter of perspective. Coming from CJ ownership, the leaf spring Wrangler is like driving a car. I thought it was the nicest riding Jeep I'd ever been in...until I drove a coil sprung Wrangler.
      The round headlamp ones also have a stronger frame and several other improvements, but you will certainly pay more for them. Square headlamp Wranglers are really inexpensive now, so if all you want is a cheap second vehicle to go off road, then I wouldn't say no. If you can swing it, get the 4.0 version. Not only do they have vastly superior power and reliability, but the resale value on them is multiple times better than the 2.5 when you decide to sell it.
      sigpic

Comment

Ive driven 2.5's and while they absolutly suck on the highway (dont plan on getting above 70 for a long long long time) theyre perfectly fine for around town driving.
        Back to my roots

Comment

I had a 91 wrangler with the 2.5 and it was alright actually. I had to put a beefier cam, valve springs, exhaust, and an intake on there to get it alright though. the only probelms i had with it engine wise was the distributor gear stripped on me and clutch master and slave cylinders. But even with the 4' lift and 31x10.50s on there i was able to make it to 85 on the highway...once.

Comment

at all costs stay away from the 4.2litre carb'd motor in the 87-89 (90?) as well as the peugoet 5 speed gearboxes that were used until 90 (iirc) Your best bet is a 91+ 4.0L 5 speed. It seems most 2.5ls need a rebuild around 100k miles. Best of luck, it was my first car and def. was alot of fun!
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

DEFINATELY want a 4.0, is it just going to be a street bitch? If so, I don't get it.....hahaha

Comment

Not a 90+, but I did have an 87. 4.3 liter. What a pile of smashed asses. I rebuilt the entire thing - not because I wanted to. A-Z = all rebuilt with OEM hardware or better.
                '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X