Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much stiffer is the E30 M3 chassis than the standard E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much stiffer is the E30 M3 chassis than the standard E30?

I'm reading up on the chassis stiffness of E30 325i/is, E30 325iC, E30 M3, and E30 M3 Convertible and how they compare. I'm interested in seeing how they compare. How much stiffer is the M3 than the 325i/is? How much stiffer is the 325i/is than the 325iC? What did they do to make the M3 chassis stiffer?

I don't believe that the M3 is any stiffer than the regular e30s because it uses pretty much all the same basic architecture other than the quarters, fenders, bumpers and roof line/trunklid which shouldnt effect things enough to matter.

The cabrio is much looser than the hardtops because there is obviously no roof to reinforce the chassis, the rockers are enlarged to help combat this. There might be a stiffer floor pan, but I am not sure.

If you are only going to buy an M3 because its "stiffer" save your money and just build up a coupe. You will save lots of money and it will handle just as good.
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Isn't the windshield a structural member or something on the m3?

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
        Isn't the windshield a structural member or something on the m3?
        Yeah, the front and rear windshields are bonded in to provide some more structural integrity. Besides that though, I don't think there is anything else that would make the chassis stiffer.

-Erik

Comment

As for that rear window thing, I'd be interested in hearing if it added anything to unibody stiffness, as that whole rear window assembly is somehow joined to the unibody. I see th obvious seam on the roof of mine, and I haven't taken the time, but I do need to follow it down the C pillar, as I get a little water dripping into the trunk on the driver-side inner fenderwell.

Anyhow, that window is bonded to a part that isn't directly the unibody, it's not even steel IIRC.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

The rear window doesn't do anything on M3s. The front glass being bonded makes a difference, though.
            Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

So then the question is, can we "upgrade" to bonded glass? Or is it a different windsheild surround and not a different glass part?
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Regular e30s can use the thinner M3 bonded windshield and gasket. It is only twice the price. And because the glass is a structural element, it sometimes crack if the shell gets stressed/hit.
                Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Sounds like a great mod ! not lol
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

If I had money and wanted more chassis stiffness, I'd get a well built cage.

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                      Regular e30s can use the thinner M3 bonded windshield and gasket. It is only twice the price. And because the glass is a structural element, it sometimes crack if the shell gets stressed/hit.
                      And to prove the supidity of some people (not meaning you at all, Lee), a standard e30 windshild & gasket fit an M3 as well.....sadly I know this because this is how my car sits until I can afford a respray. At least I don't have the cowl rust problem.

But yes, some P.O. got someone to shoehorn a standard screen in with a standard gasket. Idiots.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

These cars aren't what I'd call rigid and the difference between an M3 and 325is is negligible. Jack up one end of either and open the door and you'll see what I mean. When I jack up one end of my 993, the whole side of the car rises.
                        1995 Porsche 993 6 speed
                        2001 BMW M3 6 speed - DD
                        2001 BMW 530iA Sport - Hers
                        2005 KTM 450EXC 6 speed

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Clone
                        1988 BMW 325is x2
                        1985 BMW M635CSI 286hp
                        2001 KTM 400MXC

Comment

Noone ever said a basic e30 is comparable to a porsche.
                          Back to my roots

Comment

HAHA My thoughts exactly. e30 was a mass produced compact semi-luxury sport saloon, not a Porsche. e30s are ridgid compared to lots of stuff. When I would offroad my Ranger, with one front wheel on a rock, u couldnt open either door! Now thats lack of ridgidity
                            01 325Ci
                            87 325iS w/ M30B35 swap

Comment

Hey, they're way better than my old E21. I couldn't even open the door when I jacked one side of the car up.

My point was that these cars are flexible enough that any difference between an E30 M3 and "regular" E30 is unnoticeable.
                              1995 Porsche 993 6 speed
                              2001 BMW M3 6 speed - DD
                              2001 BMW 530iA Sport - Hers
                              2005 KTM 450EXC 6 speed

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Clone
                              1988 BMW 325is x2
                              1985 BMW M635CSI 286hp
                              2001 KTM 400MXC

Comment

Working...
                              X