Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one know where I can find the Battery charger rust removal thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one know where I can find the Battery charger rust removal thread?

I have been looking and looking for it for the past two days, I know its here, I just can't get back to it...... HELP PLEASE!
    Anonymity on the internet is courage for the people who have none. You know who you are.

i have the same problem...

that is if u are talking about battery acid rust removal (if not disrgard the rest of the post)

you need aircraft stripper
    and baking soda
    and some paint

1. pour aircraft stripper onto the rust area, let it soak in.

2. Pour baking soda on it to soak it all up.

3. spray some paint onto the area.

hope this helps and if anyone wants to add to it, that would be awesome, since i still have to do this to my car.

-Dan
    Dan Zickel
    1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

baking soda and water

Comment

im very confused by this whole thread, what are we trying to fix?
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I read a thread in R3V, about removing rust by electro charging the part in a bath of water and baking soda with the positive lead hooked to the part and the negative hooked to a probe and both suspended in the water. From what I know of electro plating parts, this seems to be the reverse, anyway, there was a thread and I would like to find it again.

Any help would be appreciated.
          Anonymity on the internet is courage for the people who have none. You know who you are.

Comment

oh lol i know now lol sorry for trying to confuze u.
            Dan Zickel
            1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

You don't have to un-electro plate the battery stuff to remove rust, a simple wire brush and some baking soda and water will do the trick... My dad's '79 E24 has never had the battery stuff treated specially and its all in good order.

I guess maybe I'm also not understanding the question?
              '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

It is buried in Mr Anderson's Project facelift thread

I know its in there somewhere, you just have to look through it
                1987 325is - sold
                2001 330i - New DD

Comment

Originally posted by Apex381 View Post
                  It is buried in Mr Anderson's Project facelift thread

I know its in there somewhere, you just have to look through it
                  Thankyou APEX!!!!!

Comment

The rear bumper shocks and brackets on my rear bumper were quite rusty, so we needed to clean them up before installing them back onto my car. Andrew discovered on his MGB forum a method for removing rust from car parts by use of electrolosys. Basically, the parts are hung by wire from a steel plate suspended in a solution of hot water and Arm & Hammer washing soda. There is a steel plate that hangs and connect to the + on the charger and the part hangs in the water via wire, which connects to the - on the charger. The washing soda acts as an electrolyte in the water, and the electrical current actually reverses the plating process in the water, stripping off ALL rust from the parts and drawing it to the steel plate. Now this actually WORKS, it really does. We started the process at about 8:00 pm, went back to my house to watch a movie, and when we came back at about 10:30, a significant portion of the rust was gone from the parts.

The setup as described:

Hanging from the plate is the bracket, from the wire is the bumper shock. This is just one set, we'll do the other set tomorrow:

The cloudiness in the water is actually the parts fizzing in the charged solution:

For this shot, we unplugged the batter charger, and plugged it back in, so we could get a pic of the reaction starting again. You can see the water fizzing up off of the flange of the bumper shock. Pretty damn cool!

Comment

Hmmm, interesting!

But what would you use this on that you couldn't hit with some steel wool?
                      '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                        Hmmm, interesting!

But what would you use this on that you couldn't hit with some steel wool?
                        That is kinda what I thought too, but:

1. Andrew is a mad scientist.
                        2. Josh now has eternal bragging rights.
                        3. Josh is just mad. As in insane mad, btw.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

This works on stuff so rusty god couldn't remove the rust. Plus it gets into every nook and cranny where you might not be able to get a brush/steel wool into.

Here is some more info:

Comment

Coolio!

Comment

Working...
                            X