sell both my cars for one "better" one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sell both my cars for one "better" one?

I've been seriously considering consolidating my two cars (see sig) into one car. Im torn between this proposition. I love the classic lines of my e30, but the e36 is buttery smooth and a convertible to boot. The sale of the two cars should net me +/- 11K. I'd be willing to kick in 5K out of pocket for the new ride. This car will be a daily driver and log around 6-8K miles/year. So what is a fair compromise? I'm either going down one of two roads here:

e24 m6
    e30 m3
    an e28 with the big 6
    MINT 2002tii
    Something interesting (grey market, etc..)

+++OR+++

WELL sorted e34 540i
    e39 540i
    e46 Cabrio
    e38 w/sport pkg
    M roadster??

As you can see, my dilemma stems from going old skool or new school. I have a work truck and a Wrangler, so im not against getting a garage queen. I know im throwing out a ton of choices here, but i could use some enthusiasts to help me narrow, or even dissuade me from selling my current cars.
    sigpic
    both these cars are gone :(

E30 M3 cost a lot to maintain and arn't quick around the city for a daily driver imo. Why not just find a well sorted e30 325i or e30 318is and save the rest of the money?

The E46 cab and E39 540i are both nice, same with the e34 :).
    Vancouver Portrait Photographer

E30 M3 Wallpapers

Comment

If you are willing to dish out 5 grand of your own, why not just buy ANOTHER car? heh

5k would go a long way towards a clean E30.
      Originally posted by Teaguer
      Filling an Eta's tank with super unleaded will reach the cars maximum attainable performance level .

Aa a bonus filling the tank will also double any Eta's resale value .

Comment

my votes :
        e24 M6
        MINT 2002tii
        M Roadster

...in that order

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Sun View Post
          If you are willing to dish out 5 grand of your own, why not just buy ANOTHER car? heh

5k would go a long way towards a clean E30.
          good point, but both my cars have higher mileage, and adding another maintenance whore to the fleet would not cure my ill.
          sigpic
          both these cars are gone :(

Comment

E24///M6/E30///M3 + daily driving = teh sux0rzzzz

Id go with a CLEAN E28 535is or the tii.

Mariano

2001 Titaniumsilber 540i Sport 6-Speed
            1990 Diamantschwarz Alpha-N 2.5L ///M3
            1986 Alpinweiss 325e M50B25 (R.I.P.)

-Talk to me when more sound comes from the induction than from the exhaust...

-Argentina........lo mas grande que hay.

Comment

Go out and test drive some cars. Test drive a jag, a vette, an SL500, a viper, and a saleen. Maybe its just time to go to a different type of car and/or a different brand. Obviously you don't like the E30's anymore so start driving something different to see what you really like.

Comment

e30 m3 or 540i... the rest are NOT DD material for either mechanical UNreliability or just lacking the fun factor. e30 m3's are actually solid DD's... i railed the SHIT out of mine for 50k miles and it never complained other than a Driveshaft replacement. If you DD it smartly, it will not have problems with the drivetrain at all. My dad has put 14k pampered miles on his and the only thing that we've had to replace is the fluids and brake pads...
                PNW Crew
                90 m3
                06 m5

Comment

what about a clean E36 M3? you'll have creature comforts and 240 hp to slide around in. for $16k you can get one in really good condition and lower miles.
                  2005 M3 6MT
                  1991 318i - project car
                  1997 Civic CX Hatchback - DD

www.clutchstopper.com

sigpic

Comment

e39 540 FTW!!! Make sure it has a 6 speed with the sport package..........my boss has one, drove that beast, ....... sex on wheels.
                    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

you dont want a e34 now do you realy? the only thing i like about e34s are the badges they have on their hoods and trunks, even e34 M5s dont realy do it for me. the only thing the e34 platform was good for in my opinion is being the doner chasis for the M-System wheels and the s38. just my 2 cents.

i say e30 m3. even though they lack power for DD and are expensive to maintain, the amount of pleasure and smiled the car brings, makes up for it all!!!

Comment

Your old skool choices are good but not really for dailys.
                        I like e39 540's with sport package and 6spd, e38 sport package, last year made with M parallels, M roadster is too small for daily and e46 cabrios are nice if you are a soccer mom.

Comment

If you only have one car, you won't have anything else to drive if your car is down. Keep that in mind. That said, I'd strongly urge you to stay away from a 540i, regardless of the year. They're expensive to maintain and not nearly as easy to work on as the 6 cylinders.
                          sigpic

Comment

E24 M6 ftw, E24s with Euro fixin's are definitely the most classic and beautiful BMWs other than the E9 coupes. E24s have all the comforts that you could ask for from a car from ~1987 (if you get a US model), and lots of performance even in stock US specification.

If you don't go with an M6, I'd suggest a nice E28 (maybe M5) or 535is. You can go euro with it and get a TCD turbo kit and have one hell of a sleeper.

If either of those two didn't make the cut, it would be an E34 540i.

Edit: The old school choices are definitely good candidates for a DD that only sees 6-8k miles a year. My '84 533i got 13.5k miles in the first year I have owned it!! No reliability issues, you just have to stay on top of it. E24s are the same... Granted, an M6 is going to require more maintenance and cost more if something important breaks in the engine, but a 635CSi is a great DD. Those who doubt the fun factor of a 5 or a 6 should go drive one!! I have a ball driving my 5 to work every day, 25 miles through rural back roads, but when I want to take it easy and relax, she is able to do that as well.
                            '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                              e39 540 FTW!!! Make sure it has a 6 speed with the sport package..........my boss has one, drove that beast, ....... sex on wheels.
                              my dad had one for a few years but lucky for me he got rid of it right before i turned 15 so i never got and stick time in it
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                              Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Working...
                              X