• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 318i purchasing question

My goal for an e30 purchase:

Clean 89+ car to do an s50/52 swap
    or
    325i/is track car

Now I found a 84 318i in need of clutch and/or tranny with a clean body and decent interior for $200.

What can/should I do with this?
    Attached Files

If you go 5 lug, you are gonna swap the entire suspension already, so who cares about the drum brakes.

If you are gonna go M/S5x, the tranny is wrong, but WTF, mate...change it.

Plastic bumpered metal rear valenced early cars look best this side of M3s anyway, so again, no biggie...and you were gonna paint anyway, right?

Do you have space for a 2 year project? If so, DO IT!

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I agree.. For $200 and the body is good, you can't go wrong....

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

Luke

Comment

For $200 you can't go wrong. Be prepared to spend another 5-10k :)

something like this-
        1-5k engine/tranny (m50-s50 route)
        1k-1.5k suspension/bushings/sways
        1k-2k brakes/tires and or wheels
        1k-2k seats, exhaust, steering, lights etc
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          If you go 5 lug, you are gonna swap the entire suspension already, so who cares about the drum brakes.

If you are gonna go M/S5x, the tranny is wrong, but WTF, mate...change it.

Plastic bumpered metal rear valenced early cars look best this side of M3s anyway, so again, no biggie...and you were gonna paint anyway, right?

Luke
          I dont mind a project, but I wanted to start with a better platform. I hate bodyshops and painting so I wanted to avoid that and I prefer the plastic bumpers to the metal. Not something I want to swap either, just an added cost. I dont want to put so much $$ in an older platform that I wont be super happy with at the end.

Now back to the original question, based on my preferences what good is this car for??

Comment

Considering your feelings about the thing, let someone else buy it?

If you want plastics, don't wanna paint and want a nicer platform to start on, simply pass. I bought a great starting platform for $500, but it still needs paint.

I would think you could find a '89 or newer with nice paint for under $4K.

GL!
            Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
            X