Confused, but Happy - I guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused, but Happy - I guess

Ok i finally (after a week of struggling with stripped bolts on the manifold) pulled the head last night. Ok backstory - i have a snapped rocker arm and a broken timing belt. I got the head off and found no damage to the piston (besides a bunch of carbon) and the valve with the broken rocker has no visible damage either no bending, breaks etc... So i'm confused - did my rocker break due to the belt snapping or did the belt snap because the arm went???? Either way i feel lucky cause i'm sure it could have been alot worse.

So did the rocker only break?

T-Belt broke due to age. Rocker broke because the engine kept spinnign for a second and that is the weak link.

this belongs in Technical

Comment

Originally posted by Stangkiller97 View Post
      (after a week of struggling with stripped bolts on the manifold) pulled the head last night. .
      I just got done doing this. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!

Comment

Think you should check the valve for bends, maybe it didn't touch the piston, examine it closely to see if it's marked in any way.

If not just reassemble with new parts and maybe it'll run ok, but if it doesn't it will cost you a new gasket set and all the work over again to fix. ;)

Comment

Did you take the valves out of the head to examine them? Sometimes they are only slightly bent, and you can't see it unless you spin it them a valve grinder, or something similar. Sometimes it's so slight that you won't even notice it when rolling it on a flat surface.

Definitely pressure check the valves once it's all assembled and make sure none of them leak. My favorite way to pressure check is with a little bit of soapy water around the sealing surface of the valve. Either do it with the spring installed, or use a screwdriver or something similar to press down REALLY hard on the valve, then take an air nozzle and blow in the port as close to the valve stem as you can get. You don't want any bubbles.

This is a perfect opportunity to rebuild the head and replace valve stem seals. Might as well do it now and save yourself from having to do it later.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1 View Post
            So did the rocker only break?

T-Belt broke due to age. Rocker broke because the engine kept spinnign for a second and that is the weak link.

this belongs in Technical
            sorry i was thinking this belonged in technical after i posted it - Hey i'm a noobie - and yes only the rocker seems to show any damage, i will find out more when i rip it all down, I'll probably do a full rebuild since i've already come this far no sense in half assin it now.

Comment

Originally posted by kellie View Post
              Did you take the valves out of the head to examine them? Sometimes they are only slightly bent, and you can't see it unless you spin it them a valve grinder, or something similar. Sometimes it's so slight that you won't even notice it when rolling it on a flat surface.

Definitely pressure check the valves once it's all assembled and make sure none of them leak. My favorite way to pressure check is with a little bit of soapy water around the sealing surface of the valve. Either do it with the spring installed, or use a screwdriver or something similar to press down REALLY hard on the valve, then take an air nozzle and blow in the port as close to the valve stem as you can get. You don't want any bubbles.

This is a perfect opportunity to rebuild the head and replace valve stem seals. Might as well do it now and save yourself from having to do it later.
              Looks like we know who wears the overalls in that relationship.

Comment

Working...
              X