running LEEEAAAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running LEEEAAAN

OK, my E30 is running really lean for some reason. I'm not gonna tune it yet, becasue im waiting for my mark D chip (should arrive next week).
    Is it very bad for the engine to run lean? I mean should I not drive it at all, I ask this because someone told me it could fuck up my engine. True or false, and how? Its a dumb question, but thanks.
    90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Could burn a valve.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Running lean is certainly not good, besides the power loss, the temperatures inside the combustion chamber are higher. You can burn a valve or even worse.

It could be your injectors requiring cleaning or your AFM acting up. Or it could be a mod you did. You should install that chip and check again afterwards though.

The question is, how do you know?
      It's not an old car. It's an old friend.

Comment

how do you know its running lean?? wideband? dyno? engine detonating?

and how lean is lean with 3 e's and 3 a's?
        e30sport.net
        '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
        '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
        '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post

and how lean is lean with 3 e's and 3 a's?
          very lean;)
          sigpic

Comment

Aside from burning a valve, detonation could cause you to crack a piston. Running lean is bad-bad-bad. But like everyone else asked, how do you know?

Fix what's broken before you install your chip. You want to make sure your engine is running well before you go trying to increase horsepower and cause more problems. If that chip advances your timing, and the DME can't correct for an excessively lean condition, you could be in big trouble.
            sigpic

Comment

I would guess a vacuum leak. Check the rubber boot connecting the intake.

Comment

I took the car to a freinds shop and he told me that he did some tests and it was running lean, I dont know the exact #s, but he said it was around 1/2 of what it should be, fuel pressure I guess. The car doesnt run any hotter, but could this cause burnt valves? and should I not drive it at all.

He said that we should not tune it until I get my chip, becasue we will have to just tune it again...makes sence, but he said nothing about me not driving it, maybe he just assumed I wouldnt...
                The reason I want to drive it is because there is a big euro car show this weekend, but I'm not gonnna drive it there if I'm gonna fuck up my engine.

Thanks for the replies guys...

and for some reason I'm not getting email confimations on my posts on R3v now??
                90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

Comment

Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30ka View Post
                  very lean;)
                  lol

Comment

well if your fuel pressure is low and thats what is causing your lean condition check: the vac line leading to the fpr, the fpr itself, your fuel lines (you may have a leak but you would probably smell it), then if all else fails try a new fuel pump.

also adding a lil fuel system cleaner wouldnt hurt anything.

Ask your friend that found the problem how bad he thought it was. As said before if its not your fuel pressure the most common cause of a lean condition is a vac leak.
                    e30sport.net
                    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by german g View Post
                      He said that we should not tune it until I get my chip, becasue we will have to just tune it again...makes sence, but he said nothing about me not driving it, maybe he just assumed I wouldnt...
                      Don't try to tune it to mask the symptoms of whatever is causing you to run lean in the first place. Get the car running right, then tune from there.
                      sigpic

Comment

try some seafoam

Comment

Working...
                        X