Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the current price of a US S50 engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the current price of a US S50 engine?

With all accessories.
    89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
    E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

It really all depends. I know of someone who got an s50 with tranny for $1K, then others who got the same thing for $3K+. Depends on where you look and who you know.
    Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Originally posted by ToplessE30 View Post
      It really all depends. I know of someone who got an s50 with tranny for $1K, then others who got the same thing for $3K+. Depends on where you look and who you know.
      I guess it's going to be a range...so would you say the range is that big? Would a fair price be $2k-$2.5k?

To those with an early S50, did you worry about the retainer problem and/or replace them?
      89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
      E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

I think if you can get it with all accessories for that price, thats a deal.
        Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Originally posted by bmwpower View Post
          I guess it's going to be a range...so would you say the range is that big? Would a fair price be $2k-$2.5k?

To those with an early S50, did you worry about the retainer problem and/or replace them?
          No, a more accurate range would be $3k-$3.5k depending on mileage and what comes with it.

And yes, you should worry about the retainers.

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
            No, a more accurate range would be $3k-$3.5k depending on mileage and what comes with it.

And yes, you should worry about the retainers.

-Erik

Im with erik!
            A huge factor is mileage!!!
            Somtimes they even hit the 4k mark

Comment

Yup, depending on mileage $ 3-4k

Tranny $ 500-800

Comment

i dont know why every1 says you should worry about the retainers. the only reason they would need to be changed is if you or the previous owner "money shifted" the motor.

when i took my s50 head to a machine shop that deals ALOT with bmw's, i asked the owner if i should change out the retainers. he asked me why, i told him the hear-say from forums, then he told me, "i do about 10 s50/s52/m50/s54 heads a week, and maybe 1 out of 50 has a retainer problem, the most common problem seems to be the head itself cracking!!" then he proceeds to show me about a dozen bad s54/s52 heads that had strange cracks in different places.
                IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Working...
                X