Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercedes DiesOtto engine

This thing is amazing:

I am still trying to wrap my head around how it works exactly (variable compression ?!?!?!?), and I'm an engineer! I can't wait to see it in a road car. Imagine a lowly C-class with 240hp, 300lb-ft and capable of 60+mpg. Wow. BMW needs to make one of these babies.

GM is doing something similar....

1985 BMW 325e
    1997 BMW M3/4/5
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

i read the first 2 paragraphs then got lazy ill read it later
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

uhm... this isnt impressive, its pathetic. this is technology thats around now... and we tout it like its news. enough with the hatin', on a more serious note, it should be expected from any of the major manufacturers, this level of fuel efficiency and power.
        A turbo is the only way to go on a combustion engine now. This techniology is completely limited to what you see here in this article. its just like todays computer chip technology, we've gone as small as possible before the electrons start to jump ship, now we have to get innovative to get around this factor. in the otto engine world, its add a turbo, refine the flow, and tune the piss out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by xLibelle View Post
          uhm... this isnt impressive, its pathetic. this is technology thats around now... and we tout it like its news. enough with the hatin', on a more serious note, it should be expected from any of the major manufacturers, this level of fuel efficiency and power.
          A turbo is the only way to go on a combustion engine now. This techniology is completely limited to what you see here in this article. its just like todays computer chip technology, we've gone as small as possible before the electrons start to jump ship, now we have to get innovative to get around this factor. in the otto engine world, its add a turbo, refine the flow, and tune the piss out of it.
          Pathetic? stop kidding yourself.

Comment

xLibelle, I kinda agree with you - but kinda don't.

The future of motors is like any engineering feat. You either re-envent the wheel (think Wankel motor link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine )or you just optimize the hell out of EVERYTHING. That is where motors are going...

Just as with the variable valve timing - the piston will be next to be computer controlled...Then maybe headers/intake track, ect...

BMW has done a lot with their electric water pumps, fans, ect to get that 1/10 of a MPG better...I think this is awesome - overdue? YES!

my 2 cents....
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

What the hell happened to electronic valves? Think about it...no cam, timing chain, not even anything other than coolant needed on the top end. No oil even.

A simple solenoid atop each valve...fuckabunchofcamshafts!

Plus, you can adjust valve timing for any particular performance goal you might have, including mileage, easy starting, smooth (or lumpy) idle.

this technology should have been in every 1995 car, or 2000 model at least.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

i am impressed with bmw's variable double vanos

Comment

I remember reading an article about Saab's variable compression motor years ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X