Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Push Start Button - Wiring - Solenoid

Search friendly title ^

Guys I've just got my start button in the mail, and I'm in the process of wiring it up.

I have searched and searched, and still can not find out which two wires lead to the solenoid starter.

There are four wires from the start button loom.

Power (tap into cigarette lighter):
    1: Positive (from button) (thin)
    2: Negative (from relay) (thin)

And Two that go to Starter solenoid:
    3: (from relay) (thick)
    4: (from relay) (thick)

I have trial and error'ed everything and still cant get it to work.

MY QUESTION:
    What colour are the two wires that lead from the ignition barrel to the
    starter solenoid?

These are the colours i see coming out of the barrel:

-Red (thick)
    -Black (thick)
    -Purple (thick)
    -Green (thick)
    -Green/grey stripe (thick)
    -Grey/Black stripe (thin)
    -Grey/Green stripe (thin)

and two that lead to a different relay:
    -grey (thin)
    -grey/brown stripe (thin)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

-James

R.H.D
    M-technic I club

shit - wrong forum.
    Sorry guys - mods please move at will.

R.H.D
    M-technic I club

Comment

You need to get your hands on a wiring diagram.

If you do a monkey wire "push to start" it will NOT work like the new cars right!!!

You'll push it, and it will crank over, then sputter out, you'll have to PUSH and hold. Newer cars all you do is "tap" it. A computer figures out the rest.

I would use a relay, only way to go.

Learn about how to wire a relay, and you are good to go.

HTH....
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        You'll push it, and it will crank over, then sputter out, you'll have to PUSH and hold. Newer cars all you do is "tap" it. A computer figures out the rest.
        Hmm, the only push start button car I've driven is an s2000 and it seemed like it would crank as long as i held the button down and that if I were to just tap it I don't think it would have started. I need to play with it again to confirm this but its just what I assumed from the times I have driven it. I think if he wires things up right it will work like he wants. I personally don't understand the appeal of a push button start unless its a race car and you don't have keys to begin with.

If you have to put the keys in the ignition anyways what the point of the push button?

Comment

Originally posted by LivingLegend06 View Post
          If you have to put the keys in the ignition anyways what the point of the push button?
          Why have a key?

If you have such a tricked out car, it can get stolen. It's called a tow truck to a enclosed trailer. Takes 2 mins.

Trust me, if you are on this forum, you don't need to worry.

You are right, the key "turns ON" all the systems on a e30, so turning a key AND a push button is "rice" or as I like to call it "JUST FOR SHOW"...

hth...

Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Just make sure you don't wire it up backwards or you'll spin then engine the wrong way and bend valves ;)

Comment

323i = black w/yellow stripe.

That makes the connection to the starter solenoid to trigger it. Just splice into it at the fuse box connector.
              Just a little project im working on
              - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

I think it would be kind of cool to incorporate a standalone proximity sensor into the ignition with the pushbutton. That way, all you would need to do is get in the car with the correct keyfob and that would allow the push button to operate. Have the pushbutton activate two relays: a latching and a momentary. The latching should control all the accessory and ignition circuts, and the momentary the starter. Once the car is started, the fob is no longer needed (so it doesn't shut the car down on you as your driving) and after you shut the car off via the off button, its locked again and needs the fob.

Much closer to how newer cars have it that way, but honestly? whats so bad about the key?
                -Dave
                2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

what is hth?

And looks like you definetly need wiring diagrams for your car. And like george sais, a relay will do wonders for you. They're really easy to wire up too.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                    what is hth?

And looks like you definetly need wiring diagrams for your car.
                    Hope this helps:http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

Luke

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

^^ That did me no good....lol
                      ** Lot's of M20 turbo parts for sale.**

Turn key track car.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222066

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.

I was trying to keep this more of a tech thread than a discussion.
                        ...serves me right for posting in wrong forum.

Anyway i found the Yellow/Black wire, but i need to know what other wire to connect to, to complete the circuit in the start position of the key.

I have seen wiring diagrams for my car (or close to) in the bently, they were no help.

This is so close to completion, i will post a thread with pictures and info when im done.
                        That way you can all rave on about how unnecessary this "mod" is in an orderly fassion.

R.H.D
                        M-technic I club

Comment

do you have a multi-meter? or even a test light? if you have either of these things, there is nothing you can't do.

test each wire to see what it's doing when the car is starting. write it down and test the next one. all you have to do is replicate that sequence by getting the wire that is getting a 12v signal when the car is cranking some power. it should be relatively easy if you have the right tools.

also, a thought on the push button starts-
                          I think they are only cool if you don't need a key. why add another step to something that's already simple? but I did always want to add one in my M roadster because with any type of aftermarket alarm there will be a starter disable. therefore, the car can only be started if it was unlocked via the key fob that only YOU should have. if someone breaks in, they can't start it because the alarm won't let them.

Comment

Originally posted by SL33PER View Post
                            do you have a multi-meter? or even a test light? if you have either of these things, there is nothing you can't do.

test each wire to see what it's doing when the car is starting. write it down and test the next one. all you have to do is replicate that sequence by getting the wire that is getting a 12v signal when the car is cranking some power. it should be relatively easy if you have the right tools.

also, a thought on the push button starts-
                            I think they are only cool if you don't need a key. why add another step to something that's already simple? but I did always want to add one in my M roadster because with any type of aftermarket alarm there will be a starter disable. therefore, the car can only be started if it was unlocked via the key fob that only YOU should have. if someone breaks in, they can't start it because the alarm won't let them.
                            yes i have a multi meter, and i have trial and error...ed just about everything!
                            this Is so frustrating! If it is definitely the black and yellow wire, then
                            according to the multimeter, the other wire must be red, green or purple wires.
                            I have tried all and none work!.
                            UGH!

R.H.D
                            M-technic I club

Comment

the black yellow wire is the 12 volt trigger for the solenoid and that's it. Some newer e30 have 3 wires,t he main red constant 12 volt, the black yellow, and a black/green wire which goes to the unloader relay.
                              85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Working...
                              X